Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Having had our re-run Christmas lunch for our delayed guests, which was a great success - they really enjoyed it...

... My peeve is that they so liked the way we cooked the potatoes (roasted was a new experience for them... Would this be typical?)... now the roasties have all gone, along with the Christmas pudding they also really liked... And the after eight mints though I suspect Mrs HTS is the real culprit there!)...

... all these are my favourites !!

Other peeve is allegedly corrupt police sherriffs... Who go stumping for GOP candidates (and nutty ones at that) while their department is under the microscope for all the wrong reasons...
You know, I can't recall ever having roasted potatoes before I moved to the UK. It may be it's a regional thing and people enjoy them more often in another part of this country, don't know. However, they are very good and I learned to make them. Now if I could just figure out the Yorkshire puddings, my husband would be a happy man.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You know, I can't recall ever having roasted potatoes before I moved to the UK. It may be it's a regional thing and people enjoy them more often in another part of this country, don't know. However, they are very good and I learned to make them. Now if I could just figure out the Yorkshire puddings, my husband would be a happy man.

we would have roast potatos with lamb and pork.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody IRS.
Now, Form 8938. Er.. isn't this the same information that I'm submitting to the US Treasury on Form TD F 90-22.1? Couldn't you guys get together and share the one form? Why do I have to fill out two completely different forms with essentially the same information??
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Having had our re-run Christmas lunch for our delayed guests, which was a great success - they really enjoyed it...

... My peeve is that they so liked the way we cooked the potatoes (roasted was a new experience for them... Would this be typical?)... now the roasties have all gone, along with the Christmas pudding they also really liked... And the after eight mints though I suspect Mrs HTS is the real culprit there!)...

... all these are my favourites !!

Other peeve is allegedly corrupt police sherriffs... Who go stumping for GOP candidates (and nutty ones at that) while their department is under the microscope for all the wrong reasons...
Glad your "re-do" was successful. Your US guests may have been a little leery of English cuisine and likely pleasantly surprised that it was tastier than English fare is usually touted over here.

Don't know what part of the country you're in, but in our neck of the woods, roasted potatoes are a "new" thing. Jacket potatoes are quite popular, as is mashed and scalloped, but, for the most part, the roasted thing is unknown. My US family always lumbers my OH with the roasted potatoes for food gatherings and there are rarely any left! NObody I know knows what a Yorkshire pudding is, much less know how to make one (including me).

My newest pet peeve is that the usually barely tolerable morning news program on CNN has been replaced with a new interview program starring Soledad O'Brien. So far, no news, as such, only interviews with politicos. Even more Boooooorrrrrrrring than the old CNN programming!

And --- if your After Eight mints were the real thing, I don't blame you for being p.o'd! Saw a package at a store here that promoted itself as After Eights, but they didn't even LOOK the same and I doubted they'd taste right so I didn't buy them.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:55 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Glad your "re-do" was successful. Your US guests may have been a little leery of English cuisine and likely pleasantly surprised that it was tastier than English fare is usually touted over here.

Don't know what part of the country you're in, but in our neck of the woods, roasted potatoes are a "new" thing. Jacket potatoes are quite popular, as is mashed and scalloped, but, for the most part, the roasted thing is unknown. My US family always lumbers my OH with the roasted potatoes for food gatherings and there are rarely any left! NObody I know knows what a Yorkshire pudding is, much less know how to make one (including me).

My newest pet peeve is that the usually barely tolerable morning news program on CNN has been replaced with a new interview program starring Soledad O'Brien. So far, no news, as such, only interviews with politicos. Even more Boooooorrrrrrrring than the old CNN programming!

And --- if your After Eight mints were the real thing, I don't blame you for being p.o'd! Saw a package at a store here that promoted itself as After Eights, but they didn't even LOOK the same and I doubted they'd taste right so I didn't buy them.
Hint - Look at the tv's remote control.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:56 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
we would have roast potatos with lamb and pork.
Not with beef, or chicken? Shame on you.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Hint - Look at the tv's remote control.
Here's a surprise - I already did that! (didn't realize just how much crap there is on morning TV)
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:45 am

Here's a surprise - I already did that! (didn't realize just how much crap there is on morning TV)
That's what the internet is for, news... BBC news.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
That's what the internet is for, news... BBC news.
OMG - how could I have forgotten? Right after we got the computer cleaned up and a new router and everything! ! ! (This comes under the heading of having a headache and someone having to remind you to take an Aspirin.)
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's why you should have a button box.
Unfortunately the missus does...but it's not in her knitting/sawing bag

Anyway, pet peeve for the day, extended family....they really know how to mess with your head.

And speaking of extended family, how one is waiting around on local doctor rather than being pro-active and either go to Waterville/Bangor/Portland or even Boston to sort things out. Went to the doctors for a sprained ankle last September and was told it might be either arthritis or leukemia. It's now between LGD, leukemia or something else but they are still faffing around with inconclusive test results and the local doctors not having a clue.

WTF, pull your fingers out people and get to a proper hospital, sod the potential cost of knowing, you've got 2 young kids to think of.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know that feeling, a relative got stung for a driving offence, $375 fine for failure to over take. He had been stalked by the sheriff ever since after he asked him for ID at work and couldn't accept the sheriff badge as proof of identity.

Mental
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Your US guests may have been a little leery of English cuisine and likely pleasantly surprised that it was tastier than English fare is usually touted over here.

Sometimes people can get quite rude about British Food. As I'm not overwhelmed by the American (Texan) "cuisine" of hamburgers and hotdogs, this is one of my pet peeves. I do sometimes point out that the nation that invented the corndog (and feeds them to their children) shouldn't really criticise what other people eat.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by redglade
Sometimes people can get quite rude about British Food. As I'm not overwhelmed by the American (Texan) "cuisine" of hamburgers and hotdogs, this is one of my pet peeves. I do sometimes point out that the nation that invented the corndog (and feeds them to their children) shouldn't really criticise what other people eat.
Is that all they eat in Texas, then? Tch.
Fortunately, the other poster seems well aware of the greatness of British cuisine.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by redglade
But the corndog is one of those gross things that is awesome and lovely
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob
But the corndog is one of those gross things that is awesome and lovely
Eugh. Actually, it's really... not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.