Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:07 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Roadside memorials. a) they're dangerous because you get distracted noticing them and..........roses stuck on a poxy cross getting blasted by exhaust fumes day in day out.
That turned into more of a pissed off moment than a peeve but never mind.
Well, its a very American thing to publicly display like that isn't it? Personally, I find them a bit embarrassing to look at - like you are encroaching on someone else's private grief. But then, they've obviously chosen to make it public.
Strange, really.

On a lighter note, I'd certainly support bringing back the use of gibbets at interstate exits, 4 way stops, outside old people's homes and at drive-thru's.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:38 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Well, its a very American thing to publicly display like that isn't it? Personally, I find them a bit embarrassing to look at - like you are encroaching on someone else's private grief. But then, they've obviously chosen to make it public.
Strange, really.

On a lighter note, I'd certainly support bringing back the use of gibbets at interstate exits, 4 way stops, outside old people's homes and at drive-thru's.
They do it back in the UK too, don't they?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:47 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Yeah - usually on back roads but I remember on the stretch of the A2 in Eden, just by the power station where it goes from a 30 to a 60 limit there was a reasonably large display of flowers where some wee girl was killed by a car (if memory doesn't deal me a dog turd, that is).

What I find weird is the ones that drive around with a big memorial on their car window. I remember talking to my soon-to-be brother-in-law about those on my first visit out here and we both found them rather distasteful ...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:03 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be ridiculous

Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
That's interesting, I had no idea the accident actually took place there
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:06 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's interesting, I had no idea the accident actually took place there
The flowers went all the way from there to a tunnel in France.

It was a huge mess.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:09 am
I have a comma problem

The flowers went all the way from there to a tunnel in France.

It was a huge mess.
I can imagine

The flowers placed to commemorate all the accidents caused by those flowers stretched all the way to Norway. Eventually there'll be so many flowers the whole of Europe will soon look like a half-time float ...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:24 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

No, they stopped using them 200 years ago.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Roadside memorials. a) they're dangerous because you get distracted noticing them and b) why the **** would you want to go to the side of a road where your loved one has been killed in a violent fashion? It's fricking weird and I hate them. Plant a tree somewhere nice, not half dead roses stuck on a poxy cross getting blasted by exhaust fumes day in day out.

That turned into more of a pissed off moment than a peeve but never mind.
Seems to me I heard there's to be legislation soon against such memorials - at least here in Tennessee. Claims have been made about the danger of distraction (as you pointed out). I never could figure out why anyone would want to continually pour salt on the wounds, so to speak, by reminding themselves of the very spot of one's gruesome death. On the other hand, it goes against my own grain to act as though nothing happened on that spot when someone actually "gave up the ghost" there. Can you tell I have some ambivalence on the subject? (Actually, I'm a split personality - and that's her talking.)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

I don't mind the roadside memorials - if nothing else, they serve as a warning to some of the idiots driving out there. In fact perhaps they should be made bigger to advertise the cause of the accident: drunk driver, speeding, yakking on the cell phone, etc.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:09 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Silly me.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by redglade
I don't mind the roadside memorials - if nothing else, they serve as a warning to some of the idiots driving out there. In fact perhaps they should be made bigger to advertise the cause of the accident: drunk driver, speeding, yakking on the cell phone, etc.
Hey, why not just show a gruesome billboard digital picture of the accident victim as they lay bleeding to death on the road, or the firebrigade cutting them out of the mangled wreckage?
The distraction of lawyer advertising billboards, showing people texting while they drive, seems to be enough to cause more accidents. Maybe we should just go back to making road signage, be road signage?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I can imagine

The flowers placed to commemorate all the accidents caused by those flowers stretched all the way to Norway. Eventually there'll be so many flowers the whole of Europe will soon look like a half-time float ...
They could build a road out of the flowers.. a literal road to heaven.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Peeve - web browsers that don't properly remember the last post on a thread that I had visited... Or is that the web site that's at fault?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Hey, why not just show a gruesome billboard digital picture of the accident victim as they lay bleeding to death on the road, or the firebrigade cutting them out of the mangled wreckage?
The distraction of lawyer advertising billboards, showing people texting while they drive, seems to be enough to cause more accidents. Maybe we should just go back to making road signage, be road signage?
Um, yes, that would be gross and distracting ...but advertising billboard type signs always are IMO. Too high up and an eyesore to boot. I wasn't being serious so I can't believe I'm arguing this...but digital information signs used on motorways for amber alerts, evacuation info etc can be read while driving without causing a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.