Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by redglade
Sometimes people can get quite rude about British Food. As I'm not overwhelmed by the American (Texan) "cuisine" of hamburgers and hotdogs, this is one of my pet peeves. I do sometimes point out that the nation that invented the corndog (and feeds them to their children) shouldn't really criticise what other people eat.
There is some fantastic food here in the US - just not readily available in your typical restaurant - just like back home. Rapid cooked/nuked pre-prepared stuff with eleventy billion preservatives, sugar, salt and anything else required by some shit law paid for by a special interest group doesn't count - we can get that sh*t back home!

That said, some of the very unhealthy sh*t here is really very moorish!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Roadside memorials. a) they're dangerous because you get distracted noticing them and b) why the **** would you want to go to the side of a road where your loved one has been killed in a violent fashion? It's fricking weird and I hate them. Plant a tree somewhere nice, not half dead roses stuck on a poxy cross getting blasted by exhaust fumes day in day out.

That turned into more of a pissed off moment than a peeve but never mind.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:04 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Roadside memorials. a) they're dangerous because you get distracted noticing them and b) why the **** would you want to go to the side of a road where your loved one has been killed in a violent fashion? It's fricking weird and I hate them. Plant a tree somewhere nice, not half dead roses stuck on a poxy cross getting blasted by exhaust fumes day in day out.

Oh come on, don't be coy... why not tell us what you really think?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a cultural thing. Out in Austria, most towns put a small cross on the side of the road, or inscribe a name on a plaque on a mountain site.

Down here, folks put their own up...nothing to wrong with it, it's a comfort thing. It's when the memorial gets massively huge and you end up with jesus statues and the like that it gets a little weird.

Certainly wouldn't want to stop by the side of the road at one though, certainly not on a main road unless you wanted to join the dead
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes people can get quite rude about British Food. As I'm not overwhelmed by the American (Texan) "cuisine" of hamburgers and hotdogs, this is one of my pet peeves. I do sometimes point out that the nation that invented the corndog (and feeds them to their children) shouldn't really criticise what other people eat.
I'll take people having a pop at Brit scoff from everyone except Germans and Yanks.

Roadside memorials.
So often the flowers make them ugly, as they always seem to be left in the plastic cover, so its just a sea of ugly plastic, not a flower in site.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
There is some fantastic food here in the US - just not readily available in your typical restaurant - just like back home. Rapid cooked/nuked pre-prepared stuff with eleventy billion preservatives, sugar, salt and anything else required by some shit law paid for by a special interest group doesn't count - we can get that sh*t back home!

That said, some of the very unhealthy sh*t here is really very moorish!!!
Yeah, I know. Please excuse the sarcasm. Of course there is more to Texan food than hamburgers and hotdogs. However the people who have brought up their low opinion of British food are usually under the impression that the tale of their experience of a deep fried black pudding makes up for the charred hamburger with an American cheese slice that they are serving up to me. I accept social invitations because I enjoy the company - not because I'm expecting a wonderful meal but I can honestly say that if I never have to eat another hamburger in my life, I'll be OK with that.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

But corndogs are vile.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

But corndogs are vile.
...and everyone knows that Funnel Cake is the yummiest most nutritional food you can find in Texas
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
...and everyone knows that Funnel Cake is the yummiest most nutritional food you can find in Texas
it's pretty fine eating in GA, DH thinks,
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know. Please excuse the sarcasm. Of course there is more to Texan food than hamburgers and hotdogs. However the people who have brought up their low opinion of British food are usually under the impression that the tale of their experience of a deep fried black pudding makes up for the charred hamburger with an American cheese slice that they are serving up to me. I accept social invitations because I enjoy the company - not because I'm expecting a wonderful meal but I can honestly say that if I never have to eat another hamburger in my life, I'll be OK with that.
HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A day without a cheeseburger is like a day without sunshine!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:45 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A day without a cheeseburger is like a day without sunshine!
You're thinking of sunrise. A day without sunrise is like a day without sunshine

Cheeseburgers are great and all, but I have yet to find a burger that beats the Hawaiian burger out of my local chippy back home. Had about as much to do with Hawaii as Munich, but it was bloody lovely nonetheless
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

A further peeve: Most of the people who complain about the "blandness" of British food have never tasted the real stuff! The ones who've actually tasted British foods have usually eaten in a posh restaurant rather than in a "real" or what we would call "greasy spoon" type eatery.

Personally, I prefer most of British fare to a lot of what's available here. I HATE that everything now is tainted by jalapenos and chili powder and hot sauces! Neither OH nor I can stomach the heat of those ingredients as all they do is upset his stomach, exacerbate my acid reflux and IBS, not to mention burn my tongue!

As for British foods, I find them tastier than ours, probably because they're not adulterated by all the preservatives and additives - the foods there seem to have a clarifying effect on our palates and the "sweets" aren't as sickeningly sweet as what are produced here. What amazes me is that although I usually have a problem maintaining a healthy blood sugar level over here, I rarely have that problem in the UK, even while reveling in full cooked English breakfasts and indulging in cream filled pastries or scones with clotted cream (YUM!).
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:37 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hypochondriacs. They can seriously suck it.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:39 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

+1

I'm glad to hear that's not a uniquely American travesty though.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:35 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Hypochondriacs. They can seriously suck it.
Take their medicine, don't you mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.