Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old May 19th 2022, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

How do all electric cars handle heat and AC? Seems either would be a big hit on range.
Old May 19th 2022, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Home charging solutions are simply another barrier to entry. Why the hell would I want to spend another $5k, after having just spent $40k+ (at least) on a new EV truck? People will not adopt until they are as convenient as rocking up at a gas pump and being on your way in 5 minutes. Not to mention, how reliable are these batteries? Are there any long term tests on how long they last before needing to be replaced?
Most trucks are over $50k these days anyway.
There are state/manufacturer rebates to install home chargers. Plus fast charging is only about $2k to install these days, and $600-1000k for a regular slow charger.
Where they should be doing well is in hot/sunnier climates, where you can install solar at home, and then it's practically free, once you've paid the solar off, but with the electric and car power combined, you're paying it off much sooner.
Old May 19th 2022, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
How do all electric cars handle heat and AC? Seems either would be a big hit on range.
It's pretty negligible these days.
A mate has a first gen Tesla, so it's donkeys years old and doesn't make a noticeable difference on daily commute. Also he doesn't want to get rid of it for a newer one with better range, as the free fast charging out at their charging stations is grandfathered in as free. He cranks the heat/AC depending on season all the time, and he said he's still at about 94% full capacity of new car too.
Old May 19th 2022, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Home chargers are only $500 now, unless you are going for Tesla. Plug it in overnight, never have to wait in line for gas again, fuel is 80% cheaper even when gas is normal price. Batteries last longer than the engines of most cars, and are a lot easier to replace. Plug-in hybrids might be an even better fit for most people though, get more of the advantages and flexibility.

The problem with EV trucks is that they will have to outperform ICE trucks by double before many people will buy them. Just being seen as environmentally friendly means some people will turn them down because they see them as an underhand liberal plot.

There's an awful lot of misinformation about EVs out there right now, I can't count the number of times I've seen people say that even a regular EV car will cost at least $60k and the battery is dead after 7 years. Or that lithium mining is worse than oil, or the government is tracking people using them.
Old May 19th 2022, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
That is my experience. I plug it in once or twice a week for overnight charging and find that much easier than having to go to a gas station. My garage had a 220V outlet and that charges fast enough, I may eventually get a faster charger wired up but don't see the need at the moment.

I'll also say that out of my three cars, it is the EV6 that puts the biggest smile on my face. It is also so smooth and quiet so for everyday driving it is a joy. In my household it is the car that gets taken first.
I agree - I have a BMW M850i convertible and a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD and to be honest I've barely used the BMW since getting the Tesla and I've kind of lost interest in driving it. We drove down to Delaware last month and took the Tesla over the BMW...

I love cars - I had multiple BMW M cars in the UK before moving to the US and I used to be a complete EV skeptic but after living with a few it makes gasoline power seem very old fashioned.

Last edited by Olly_; May 19th 2022 at 6:23 pm.
Old May 19th 2022, 8:05 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Who likes classic older Mercedes Benz and BMW cars that were made without power windows, door locks, digital dashes and computerized sophisticated fuel and emission equipment. Cars like the BMW 2002,s 318 and 325 from the mid to late 80's and the old 5 series e28 models and Mercedes w123 models the old Baby Benz 190 E and D models, and any car from the 70'd thru early 90's that were quality basic cars that did not spend more time at the stealership on a rack than on the road. I dislike the modern car that is junked up with too many sophisticated options that when they fail cost a fortune to repair and have to be fixed by a dealership.

I have owned the BMW 318is, the 325 and 528 models and am now looking for a Mercedes w123 or 190E or D for a daily driver to replace a 01 BMW 525D that is always needing something repaired that can only be done at the dealership.

Why the car companies refuse to offer a quality car that is not loaded with unnecessary options and drive the cost of new cars through the roof I do not understand..
Old May 19th 2022, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Who likes classic older Mercedes Benz and BMW cars that were made without power windows, door locks, digital dashes and computerized sophisticated fuel and emission equipment. Cars like the BMW 2002,s 318 and 325 from the mid to late 80's and the old 5 series e28 models and Mercedes w123 models the old Baby Benz 190 E and D models, and any car from the 70'd thru early 90's that were quality basic cars that did not spend more time at the stealership on a rack than on the road. I dislike the modern car that is junked up with too many sophisticated options that when they fail cost a fortune to repair and have to be fixed by a dealership.

I have owned the BMW 318is, the 325 and 528 models and am now looking for a Mercedes w123 or 190E or D for a daily driver to replace a 01 BMW 525D that is always needing something repaired that can only be done at the dealership.

Why the car companies refuse to offer a quality car that is not loaded with unnecessary options and drive the cost of new cars through the roof I do not understand..
Can sympathise with you!

Had one of these back in the '80s, brilliant car, did exactly what it was supposed to do, and very well!

Opel Rekord Berlini 2.0
Old May 19th 2022, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my ā€˜99 BMW E46 323i. Effectively a second vehicle now with almost 300k on the clock. Itā€™s been extremely reliable exceptā€¦ the effin window regulators. I think I have had 8 replaced now, 3 of them at my cost. All because they cheap skated on a plastic part in the mechanism. Ironic when you consider how rock solid the engine and transmission have been over that mileage.
Old May 19th 2022, 8:50 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

a few of my simple cars from the past.

91 BMW 318is

1985 BMW 528e

1985 BMW 325
Old May 19th 2022, 8:56 pm
Banned

My current auto, a garage queen always broken down.

Great car but always has problems mostly of electrical nature. Never fails to start and runs great but I hate power windows, doorlocks and air ride suspension because of this car.
Old May 19th 2022, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I paid $140 for my 32 amp charger which plugs into my 40 amp circuit in my garage. So not expensive.

Some will have heat pumps for a heater and some will have electric heater elements. The heat pump is more efficient
Old May 19th 2022, 10:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DerekB1972
I've spent a LOT of time in London over the last three years and couldn't believe what I saw - extension power cables out of a second floor window running down the outside of the house and then across the pavement to the car... it actually took 4 days to get a photo as the owner of the vehicle couldn't get close enough to his house!

So strange, why would you not run it across to the tree and then down. Seems like a trip hazard/liability on the side walk. Reminds me of the homeless guy who lived on 5th street when I was in the East Villageā€¦ he had somehow hooked in to a street light to have a socket for charging his phone etc.
Old May 20th 2022, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest issue is emissions standards, followed by safety standards. Getting the ridiculously high mpg figures out of a car requires a lot of technology. As for safety, cars are now equipped with around 8 air bags which make servicing more difficult, plus all manner of extra safety stuff like blind spot monitoring.

I personally wouldn't buy a car that didn't have a fully adjustable seat (which requires motors), and I do appreciate motorized windows, which allows me to open the passenger side window and rear windows when I'm driving solo. I do think the Japanese manufacturers are far better at getting all this right. I've only ever owned Hondas and Toyotas, and they've been trouble-free in the 'accessory' area for around 40 years.
Old May 21st 2022, 6:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think the biggest issue is emissions standards, followed by safety standards. Getting the ridiculously high mpg figures out of a car requires a lot of technology. As for safety, cars are now equipped with around 8 air bags which make servicing more difficult, plus all manner of extra safety stuff like blind spot monitoring.

I personally wouldn't buy a car that didn't have a fully adjustable seat (which requires motors), and I do appreciate motorized windows, which allows me to open the passenger side window and rear windows when I'm driving solo. I do think the Japanese manufacturers are far better at getting all this right. I've only ever owned Hondas and Toyotas, and they've been trouble-free in the 'accessory' area for around 40 years.

Thanks for the comment. I have no issue with the effort to reduce vehicle emissions and increase safety that is not nor has it ever been a problem with my vehicles. My problem and constant issue is uneccessary overcomplicated to repair items breaking such as power windows motors, power sunroofs, digital dash displays power seats always messing up requiring expensive repairs for items I never wanted to begin with but had to accept because models without them are difficult to find.. My current BMW that I am getting rid off soon for an older car has parking proximity sensors that I hate and they cannot be disabled by the owner. All that unwanted garbage drives up the cost to purchase initially and increases ownership maintanence expenses. The 91 BMW 318is I previously owned had fully adjustable manual seats and I loved them. The new cars are way overpriced and out of reach for almost all but the wealthy and those dumb enough to finance a car for 96 months. Give me an older BMW before 1995 or an old Mercedes made before 1990 without all the fancy not needed equipment anyday.
Old May 21st 2022, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comment. I have no issue with the effort to reduce vehicle emissions and increase safety that is not nor has it ever been a problem with my vehicles. My problem and constant issue is uneccessary overcomplicated to repair items breaking such as power windows motors, power sunroofs, digital dash displays power seats always messing up requiring expensive repairs for items I never wanted to begin with but had to accept because models without them are difficult to find.. My current BMW that I am getting rid off soon for an older car has parking proximity sensors that I hate and they cannot be disabled by the owner. All that unwanted garbage drives up the cost to purchase initially and increases ownership maintanence expenses. The 91 BMW 318is I previously owned had fully adjustable manual seats and I loved them. The new cars are way overpriced and out of reach for almost all but the wealthy and those dumb enough to finance a car for 96 months. Give me an older BMW before 1995 or an old Mercedes made before 1990 without all the fancy not needed equipment anyday.
I understand the concept, but unfortunately if you want the safety and emissions improvements, you kinda have to go with a newer model.

I always bought used cars back when I first came to the US, as I didn't have that much money and preferred to spend what I had on real-estate, not cars. I bought a used (77k miles) Honda Accord in 1983, followed by another used Honda Accord around 1987 (back in the UK I had a used 'Datsun 120Y' - I paid 75 quid for it and it was an amazingly functional vehicle). But by 1993, I decided I wanted anti-lock brakes (only available back then on higher end models), so bought a brand new Acura Legend (which is a jumped-up Honda). At that time, Acura had the highest reliability ratings. Just recently I bought a Toyota hybrid, based on Toyota's reliability ratings overall and history of hybrid technology. This new car has a ridiculous amount of technology, and I wouldn't even consider buying that much technology from either BMW, Mercedes, or Audi, based on their reliability (and cost!) ratings. Vehicle reliability has been discussed to death over the years, but it's still true today that BMW, Mercedes, and Audi rank consistently below the Japanese models, and I think a lot of that comes from the performance of 'secondary' systems, not the core engine / drivetrain.

Personally, I could no longer survive without a backup camera, and the blind-spot-monitoring feature is absolutely fantastic when driving at night on freeways. How useful airbags are I can't say - I hope to never find out personally - but I'm pretty sure they are going to help me should I ever have an accident, so I'm not inclined to go seeking out an old model any longer (unless someone gives me an old Aston Martin ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.