Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 6th 2022, 7:56 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Other than inform you, perhaps? .... That is Mrs P's preferred course of action for just about all issues around the home, garage, and garden.
Only if she remembers. Usually it's something like "Oh that reminds me the service light came on in the car last month".
Old Jun 7th 2022, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Other than inform you, perhaps? .... That is Mrs P's preferred course of action for just about all issues around the home, garage, and garden.
And I bet you prefer it that way!
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do you remember the make/model? I can't imagine many cars today surviving that, given the much higher tolerances and reductions in weight due to fuel efficiency goals.
I do! 1993 Mercedes E220. Yes it did have an aluminium head and no, I've no idea how it survived without warping the head or blowing the head gasket. Theres probably a reason they are used as Taxi's and run forever.

I never patronise my wife. All I say to her is "I won't ridicule you, but please tell me about any noise, any smell or any light that comes on with your car" and she is very good like that to be fair.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

In other news, I found another Anglia owner in town recently! Mine is the blue one.

Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And I bet you prefer it that way!
Well it keeps me busy, for sure!

Slightly off-topic, it reminds me of the time that Mrs P arrived home and ran inside to tell me that there was a copperhead on the driveway, and that I needed to come and kill it! (For anyone who doesn't know, copperheads are short-tempered, venomous snakes that you don't want around your home or yard). "Why didn't you just drive over it?" I asked. She apparently hadn't thought of that, and I didn't have the means to kill it without getting up-close-and-personal with it, which I had no inclination to do, but I did subsequently buy a cheap 20-guage shotgun in case another copperhead ever showed up. In the past 17-ish years, we have never seen another copperhead on our property, which is likely due, indirectly to the outdoor cats we had, and that our neighbors now do too; cats are more effective hunters of rodents and other small prey, and copperheads are not very effective hunters (they find a place to hide, such as under logs, and wait for dinner to run past), so they don't get the food they need. I call it "applied ecology".
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
In other news, I found another Anglia owner in town recently! Mine is the blue one.

Yours (blue) is Left hand drive; I can't see the steering wheel of the other one in the photo, but judging by the windscreen wipers (opposite orientation to yours), I assume it's RHD. That's the real classic Anglia, with the unusual rear window configuation. Your 'estate' configuration loses that unique element! I remember when these were new, and quite the thing!
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it keeps me busy, for sure!

Slightly off-topic, it reminds me of the time that Mrs P arrived home and ran inside to tell me that there was a copperhead on the driveway, and that I needed to come and kill it! (For anyone who doesn't know, copperheads are short-tempered, venomous snakes that you don't want around your home or yard). "Why didn't you just drive over it?" I asked. She apparently hadn't thought of that, and I didn't have the means to kill it without getting up-close-and-personal with it, which I had no inclination to do, but I did subsequently buy a cheap 20-guage shotgun in case another copperhead ever showed up. In the past 17-ish years, we have never seen another copperhead on our property, which is likely due, indirectly to the outdoor cats we had, and that our neighbors now do too; cats are more effective hunters of rodents and other small prey, and copperheads are not very effective hunters (they find a place to hide, such as under logs, and wait for dinner to run past), so they don't get the food they need. I call it "applied ecology".
Apart from the ethical considerations, I would think twice before intentionally running a snake over, especially in my own driveway. Does running over a snake's 'mid section' (or any part other than the head) kill it? I would be scared of just making it more angry, and would not want to get out of the car unless I had a clear view of it. Having lived 12 years in Arizona, I've seen my fair share of rattlesnakes and basically, you just call the local fire department and they come out and remove the snake for you, without killing it.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Yours (blue) is Left hand drive; I can't see the steering wheel of the other one in the photo, but judging by the windscreen wipers (opposite orientation to yours), I assume it's RHD. That's the real classic Anglia, with the unusual rear window configuation. Your 'estate' configuration loses that unique element! I remember when these were new, and quite the thing!
Correct, mine is originally a French car that my dad rescued from a 25 yr barn sleep in 2014. He never got around to getting it running so gifted it to me last yr, I had it shipped in October. The other car is a RHD car from Britain yes and I agree the saloon looks cooler than mine. It's a good job my dad has a saloon that he will gift me one day then!
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the ethical considerations, I would think twice before intentionally running a snake over, especially in my own driveway. Does running over a snake's 'mid section' (or any part other than the head) kill it? I would be scared of just making it more angry, ......
A very fair point, though personally, if it's head had been on the concrete I would be reasonably comfortable that I could line a wheel up with the head - I habitually practice precise wheel positioning by driving over litter I see in the road, such as a soda cup, and can usually get a direct hit. In fact I actually have a pair of snake tongs. though I don't think I would ever dare to use them on a venomous snake, and I have never needed to remove a non-venomous snake, but I am ready if there is ever a need!

And I am fairly certain that there is no venomous snake removal service in NC (perhaps there is in a handful of the largest cities? ) - it is tough enough here to get animal control to come and take a stray dog! Within the city limts I think it is easier to get the sanitation department to remove road kill than it is is get annimal control to remove or rescue a live animal. The sheriff's deparment will come and shoot a rabid animal in the county, though I think many people would just do that themselves.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2022 at 7:37 am.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Correct, mine is originally a French car that my dad rescued from a 25 yr barn sleep in 2014. He never got around to getting it running so gifted it to me last yr, I had it shipped in October. The other car is a RHD car from Britain yes and I agree the saloon looks cooler than mine. It's a good job my dad has a saloon that he will gift me one day then!
I presume this was a labor of love ... the cost to ship a car like that must surely outweigh (pun?) the value? I can't imagine a strong resale market for a Ford Anglia (notwithstanding the fame of the model from Harry Potter!).

A very fair point, though personally, if it's head had been on the concrete I would be reasonably comfortable that I could line a wheel up with the head - I habitually practice precise wheel positioning by driving over litter I see in the road, such as a soda cup, and can usually get a direct hit.
I presume snakes can move fast, when the need arises, so the analogy with a soda cup may not hold . Not talking about their ability to move their entire body, which seems a bit tedious, but rather, a quick jerk of the head is presumably possible. They can of course 'pounce' too, but that requires them to position their bodies ahead of time ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 8th 2022 at 9:35 am.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 1:57 am

.... I presume snakes can move fast, when the need arises, so the analogy with a soda cup may not hold ... . Not talking about their ability to move their entire body, which seems a bit tedious, but rather, a quick jerk of the head is presumably possible. They can of course 'pounce' too, but that requires them to position their bodies ahead of time ...
You are correct, and Mrs P's scenario may well be a once-in-a-lifetime occurance, as I don't think we have seen any sort of snake actually on our driveway at any time, even when not driving since then, and I certainly haven't, so it is unlikely that I will ever put my tyre-aiming skills to the test.

That said, we see non-venomous snakes in our yard fairly often - at least 3-4 times a year on average, and we are more than happy to let them go peaceably on their way. As a second "applied ecology" observation, apparently black snakes, which are common in our area (two species - black racers and black rat snakes) and are constrictors, which are not only more effective hunters than copperheads (reducing the food supply for copperheads), but also will reportedly take-on and kill copperheads, so we are more than happy to let the snakes go about their business in "our" yard as they are almost certainly the reason that we haven't seen a copperhead in at least 15 years.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 9th 2022 at 2:00 am.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 9:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a restored Trabant for sale the other day....Can't imagine why anyone would import one, nor the effort in restoring one, but there you go.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Saw a restored Trabant for sale the other day....Can't imagine why anyone would import one, nor the effort in restoring one, but there you go.
I am glad that people do preserve and/or restore quirky cars - they are all part of automotive history and I wouldn't want to live in a world where all preserved cars were Rolls Royces and Ferraris.

Harveyspecter, just a few posts above, has a Ford Anglia, which wouldn't be my choice, but the car means something to him and I am glad that he has taken the effort not only to preserve it, but also to bring it to America.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 1:50 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
My East German co-worker would love one.
But she is a little odd.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 4:16 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, and Mrs P's scenario may well be a once-in-a-lifetime occurance, as I don't think we have seen any sort of snake actually on our driveway at any time, even when not driving since then, and I certainly haven't, so it is unlikely that I will ever put my tyre-aiming skills to the test.

That said, we see non-venomous snakes in our yard fairly often - at least 3-4 times a year on average, and we are more than happy to let them go peaceably on their way. As a second "applied ecology" observation, apparently black snakes, which are common in our area (two species - black racers and black rat snakes) and are constrictors, which are not only more effective hunters than copperheads (reducing the food supply for copperheads), but also will reportedly take-on and kill copperheads, so we are more than happy to let the snakes go about their business in "our" yard as they are almost certainly the reason that we haven't seen a copperhead in at least 15 years.

Black snakes are good snakes to have. I had one kill a copper head in my yard when I lived in North Carolina. Probably the same copper head that my 2 stupid Jack Russells had managed to get bitten by the previous day. I also saw a black snake trying to constrict around the garden hose I had hung on my garden fence. That was hilarious. It was in the summer time and the hose was warm from the sun, I guess it thought it had found a enemy and was trying to dispatch it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.