Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old May 21st 2022, 6:31 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

I am shopping for another car and at this time I am looking for an Mercedes Benz 190 D or E model . I want an old car that I can fix without taking it to the dealer. If that means I have to sacrifice a little safety so be it. I only drive a couple thousand km per year mostly local trips to the food shopping and an occassional trip to the Lake.
Old May 25th 2022, 3:44 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Surely if you can charge at home then this is a total contradiction? You just plug it in when you get home at night and wake up with more than enough range and never have to go to a gas station...?
This is about how I operate my Chevy Volt.
40 mile range, 15 mile commute to work.
Round trip, plug in at night ready to go the next morning.

Last time I bought gas for it was Jan 2022 after a weekend running errands.

Old May 25th 2022, 3:47 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
a few of my simple cars from the past.
Love my old BMW garage queen.

98 M Roadster.

98 M Roadster

Old May 25th 2022, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
This is about how I operate my Chevy Volt.
40 mile range, 15 mile commute to work.
Round trip, plug in at night ready to go the next morning.

Last time I bought gas for it was Jan 2022 after a weekend running errands.
Was wondering what happens to the gas left in vehicle for long periods. Not as big of an issue with fuel injected but it gums up carburetors and can’t be good for other parts of fuel system over long periods. That’s why aviation gas is very different from auto fuel.
Old May 25th 2022, 5:09 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Love my old BMW garage queen.

98 M Roadster.

98 M Roadster

I love this model from BMW but I do not know how problematic they are in regards to computerised bits.
Old May 25th 2022, 5:39 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Was wondering what happens to the gas left in vehicle for long periods. Not as big of an issue with fuel injected but it gums up carburetors and can’t be good for other parts of fuel system over long periods. That’s why aviation gas is very different from auto fuel.
The engine management system runs the engine at regular periods for 5 mins or so to stop fuel sitting in the system for extended periods.
Haven't heard of issues with fuel sitting in the tank, pipes ect.
Old May 25th 2022, 5:41 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I love this model from BMW but I do not know how problematic they are in regards to computerised bits.
It's pretty basic, but I do have a laptop to access some systems.
No fancy traction control, DSC that sort of thing.

Airbag lights come on occasionally, but are easy to diagnose and clear.
Old May 25th 2022, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The engine management system runs the engine at regular periods for 5 mins or so to stop fuel sitting in the system for extended periods.
Haven't heard of issues with fuel sitting in the tank, pipes ect.
I had heard stories of auto fuel shelf life and have seen a couple of carburetors gunked up but had no real basis for this belief. I just googled this subject and found a article by JD Power that said regular gas has a recommended shelf life of 3 to 6 months. It would probably be a good idea to research this further and possibly use the gas enough for it to not stay in tank for very long periods.
Old May 25th 2022, 11:02 pm
Banned

It's pretty basic, but I do have a laptop to access some systems.
No fancy traction control, DSC that sort of thing.

Airbag lights come on occasionally, but are easy to diagnose and clear.

aah, those pesky dash warning lights. That I don't mind so much its things like power wiindows, immobilisers that shut down the entire car if they get a fault in the computer and leave you stranded and with an expensive stealership garage visit like a friend of mine just experienced with his Nissan. Imagine turning up at the airport parking after a long flight to collect your car and the thing won't crank or do anything beyond turning on the lights. Your knackered from a 36 hour period of no sleep and now your stranded in Budapest at 2am. Did I mention how much I dislike technology? And even with all this high tech security on motor vehicles thieves still manage to steal thousands of cars every month.
Old May 31st 2022, 8:07 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

"There's a funny orange light on in my truck, I don't know what it means" says Mrs L.

I look and the maint reqd light is on. Check dip stick which just about has oil on the tip.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
"There's a funny orange light on in my truck, I don't know what it means" says Mrs L.

I look and the maint reqd light is on. Check dip stick which just about has oil on the tip.
Reminds me of my Mum. Comes home one night and says to Dad & I "The windscreen washer fluid light is on" so we go outside and the car smells HOT. It's pinging like they do when they are cooling down and we could feel the heat emanating from the engine. We turn the ignition on and it isn't the washer fluid light, it's the low coolant light. The temp gauge is, at the same time, wrapping itself around the stop needle for 'hot'. So we say to her 'didn't you see the temp gauge?'. "I never look at the dash" she says. Long shorty short, it blew a hose and we've no idea how it made it home. Miraculously we replaced the hose, refilled it with coolant and it ran fine for years.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:12 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

My wife is the same except she knows what the light means she just has absolutely no intention of doing anything about it.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Reminds me of my Mum. Comes home one night and says to Dad & I "The windscreen washer fluid light is on" so we go outside and the car smells HOT. It's pinging like they do when they are cooling down and we could feel the heat emanating from the engine. We turn the ignition on and it isn't the washer fluid light, it's the low coolant light. The temp gauge is, at the same time, wrapping itself around the stop needle for 'hot'. So we say to her 'didn't you see the temp gauge?'. "I never look at the dash" she says. Long shorty short, it blew a hose and we've no idea how it made it home. Miraculously we replaced the hose, refilled it with coolant and it ran fine for years.
Do you remember the make/model? I can't imagine many cars today surviving that, given the much higher tolerances and reductions in weight due to fuel efficiency goals.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The one that made me laugh was my wife calling me and telling me the caldron light is on. Took me a little while to figure that one out
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
My wife is the same except she knows what the light means she just has absolutely no intention of doing anything about it.
Other than inform you, perhaps? .... That is Mrs P's preferred course of action for just about all issues around the home, garage, and garden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.