Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 21st 2022, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Those 360 degree virtual images of the car surroundings always blow me away! It was an option on my recent car but I didn't go for it. I'm familiar with the processing that goes on behind it, but it still looks magic to me.

So do you plan to kit it out yourself, with kitchen stuff, beds, etc? Is all that stuff easy to source as an individual consumer? I would have thought that would be somewhat exclusive to the companies that do the van conversions. But I guess the internet has made everything available. With the popularity of 'camper vans' since the pandemic, I can imagine even getting the basic parts could be a challenge. What do you plan to install - beds, kitchen ... toilet? shower?
The camera already proved invaluable when turning round on a single track forest road in New River Gorge SP - Able to keep an eye on the drop in front and rocks at the back.

We are kitting it out ourselves (3M Thinsulate applied to the walls & ceiling this weekend). There will be a raised bed at the back with garage under (space for 2 mountain bikes) then shower/toilet cubicle, stove, fridge etc. There are no problems getting items, although some do have extended delivery times. Vanlife Outfitters is a place to start, then plenty of different forums to help.

Old Mar 21st 2022, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Very nice! The TVR, not the Camaro - my Yank toy is a Mustang, a 2002 GT. And a TVR is at the top of my "this is a really stupid idea to import one, but I'm going to do it anyway" list, hopefully in the next 5-10 years.
I kind of wish I'd looked at importing it but the Cerbera was the one I had more recently and I figured trying to find someone near me who could service the 4.5 AJP engine would be very difficult. If it was one that had an LS conversion or one of the old Rover V8s like my Chimaera was, then I think that would be much more straight forward!

Also I agree, as much as I like the Camaro it's definitely no TVR that's for sure!
Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:01 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
looks amazing, been watching a few on Facebook market place, figure that from now through the winter is the best time to buy one at a reasonable price, I have a spare garage for it at the lake. Seen a few that are done.. but none as nice as yours.. not even sure what a reasonable price is ?

The “Boss” seems to be against a Jeep :-( she also won’t allow a truck… so I have kept my Cyber Truck reservation as an undisclosed fact…

I found the perfect car for driving to the beach/ice cream at the lake house….

Googled it and turns out you can buy an electric one in the US already…. Not sure why it does not qualify for the federal tax credit? :-(

https://mokeamerica.com/
Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MtbbikeVanlife
The camera already proved invaluable when turning round on a single track forest road in New River Gorge SP - Able to keep an eye on the drop in front and rocks at the back.

We are kitting it out ourselves (3M Thinsulate applied to the walls & ceiling this weekend). There will be a raised bed at the back with garage under (space for 2 mountain bikes) then shower/toilet cubicle, stove, fridge etc. There are no problems getting items, although some do have extended delivery times. Vanlife Outfitters is a place to start, then plenty of different forums to help.
Interesting! I'd be curious to see pictures as you progress. I can imagine lots of logistical challenges, fitting all that into the tight space of a van. Is the 'garage' something that several people do? I guess it provides security compared to hanging them on the back.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 12:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MtbbikeVanlife

Did not know 3M do Thinsulate for vehicles, I have it in my ski boots and some other gear. I do recall they make a fire resistant one which I assume you need in a van.

My younger brother brought his VW camper via the US when he went to BC for a few years, but also built out a F350 box truck as a living van for back county skiing. He had spray foam insulation, I remember him saying he needed that because you would get condensation against the metal if you just put the regular house insulation in there. He also did the “garage” under his bed for bikes and skis.
Old Mar 29th 2022, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! I'd be curious to see pictures as you progress. I can imagine lots of logistical challenges, fitting all that into the tight space of a van. Is the 'garage' something that several people do? I guess it provides security compared to hanging them on the back.
The “garage” is the new way to go for many people, not just bikes, but ski/snowboard/climbing gear etc. can all be hidden away from the main living area. The use of slide out trays makes access easy.
Old Mar 29th 2022, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Did not know 3M do Thinsulate for vehicles, I have it in my ski boots and some other gear. I do recall they make a fire resistant one which I assume you need in a van.

My younger brother brought his VW camper via the US when he went to BC for a few years, but also built out a F350 box truck as a living van for back county skiing. He had spray foam insulation, I remember him saying he needed that because you would get condensation against the metal if you just put the regular house insulation in there. He also did the “garage” under his bed for bikes and skis.
3m Thinsulate is used throughout the van community - it is primarily for sound deadening and the heat/cold insulation is just a bonus ! It is moisture resistant and glued to the inner van walls to avoid said condensation problems.

One of the saddest moments in my life was taking my 1969 VW Dormabile to the (and I can barely bring myself to admit this) scrapyard….. 😱. In my defense the bodywork and engine were shot and in 1988 they’d not quite achieved the cult status they have now.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Need some opinions on both new or 1-2 years old, gas/electric hybrids and gas and plug in Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV, both good and bad. Smashed up the Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of weeks ago and have narrowed down the replacement to those two.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Need some opinions on both new or 1-2 years old, gas/electric hybrids and gas and plug in Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV, both good and bad. Smashed up the Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of weeks ago and have narrowed down the replacement to those two.
Search for my posts on this thread about my 2020 Honda CRV hybrid. It's 21 months old now. Done a few road trips in western states sleeping in the back of it (that was a primary consideration for selecting this over competitors). Still like the car a lot after 23k miles. Only thing I'd add to what I've posted before is I've never achieved the claimed city mileage. I get something like 37mpg instead of 40mpg in San Francisco. I put this down to the hilly nature of pretty much anywhere I drive in an urban area.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 2018 Toyota Rav-4 Hybrid (not plug in), sold it once I started working from home permanently with COVID. Before that though it was a great car in terms of comfort and had decent acceleration and mpg was usually around 34 on the highway. Was much better around town on mpg if you could keep it on the electric only.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite what you are asking about, but I was looking at the CRV and the RAV4 hybrids, and ended up buying the Toyota Venza hybrid. It's basically the same mechanics as the RAV4, but nicer finishes inside, and a sleeker, more aerodynamic body (but with less cargo capacity as a result). Much smoother ride, which is what put me off the RAV4 - very harsh ride, IMO. There are far fewer of them around, which may (or may not) mean you can get a better deal on one. I get around 39 mpg in my Venza.

Old Apr 12th 2022, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We had a look at the CRV Hybrid, the RAV4 Hybrid, Ford Escape Hybrid and a Subaru Crosstrek, and we have decided on the Honda. Good mileage, reliable, and nice features and trim. We have a Honda Pilot and DH used to have an Accord, which did almost 200,000 miles, before a semi did it in. The Ford and the RAV4 just felt wrong for us, and the Crosstrek, ok, but not for us. We need to wait a few days before it comes in to the dealership, but they said that's what is happening at the moment with most cars on back order. That's this years and next years holiday/vacation not going to happen. Might do a short road trip to see how it performs, and to see the grands.
Old Apr 12th 2022, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We had a look at the CRV Hybrid, the RAV4 Hybrid, Ford Escape Hybrid and a Subaru Crosstrek, and we have decided on the Honda. Good mileage, reliable, and nice features and trim. We have a Honda Pilot and DH used to have an Accord, which did almost 200,000 miles, before a semi did it in. The Ford and the RAV4 just felt wrong for us, and the Crosstrek, ok, but not for us. We need to wait a few days before it comes in to the dealership, but they said that's what is happening at the moment with most cars on back order. That's this years and next years holiday/vacation not going to happen. Might do a short road trip to see how it performs, and to see the grands.
Were you even aware of the Venza hybrid from Toyota? It seems to be very lightly promoted by Toyota, for some reason ... I don't even recall now how I became aware of it, but once I test-drove it, I was sold based on how quiet and smooth it was compared to the alternatives. I've previously owned several Hondas and always liked them, and the g/f has always had Toyotas, so I don't think you can go wrong with a Toyota or Honda. My g/f's 2011 Prius is still going as strong as ever.
Old Apr 12th 2022, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Were you even aware of the Venza hybrid from Toyota? It seems to be very lightly promoted by Toyota, for some reason ... I don't even recall now how I became aware of it, but once I test-drove it, I was sold based on how quiet and smooth it was compared to the alternatives. I've previously owned several Hondas and always liked them, and the g/f has always had Toyotas, so I don't think you can go wrong with a Toyota or Honda. My g/f's 2011 Prius is still going as strong as ever.
We were aware of the Venza, but DH didn't have that one on the list he wanted to look at, I don't know why not. They do look ok though. I think he was wanting something smaller than what we have, but not too small, as he is tall with wide shoulders and needed the car to accommodate him, which he seemed to find the CRV did.
Old Apr 16th 2022, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta admit - not a truck person but the Ford Maverick catches my eye. Could be because my dad in England used to own a Maverick 4x4 in the 90's for a good while, and that was my favorite car he ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.