Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Current argument with the wife....

She likes to take the GLE-350 and E-350 to the car wash.. I say for those kind of vehicles a 'detail' is the only way forward. Too much risk of scratching and wear and tear to the bodywork.

Curious as to where people fall on car wash vs detailing (paid or DIY)..
The only real question is - will spending all that extra time and money on 'detailing' make any difference when it counts - at the time of sale? I recently traded in a Lexus RX 350, and the guy gave it a quick walk-around looking for body damage, and that was it - price established. I doubt I would have received any higher price had there been fewer 'micro swirls' from car washes. Door dings and such are far bigger issues as far as I'm concerned.

Cars are designed fundamentally for transport, and the more expensive cars attempt to do it with more comfort, and/or, more speed. I really couldn't care less what my car looks like, as long as it's comfortable (though I'm a bit obsessive about keeping the windscreen clean!). I get my car washed about once a year (maybe more frequently if I drive it through the desert and get it covered in bugs). The Costco drive-through car wash does it for me. On the other hand, I always park well away from other cars / shopping carts if I can, to minimize the chance of door dings/dents.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I ignore mine until it gets so bad my wife decides to wash it for me. She keeps her car near showroom condition.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I ignore mine until it gets so bad my wife decides to wash it for me. She keeps her car near showroom condition.
I don't think I have washed my car since coming to PNW. My wife cannot stand a dirty car so mine magically gets clean although not as frequently as hers. Don't know where she goes, but appreciate that I don't have to care.
When in San Diego I would happily go through the CostCo car wash as it only added a few minutes to the trip and so cheap. But here CostCo does not have a Car Wash so my car fades to gray.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
I don't think I have washed my car since coming to PNW. My wife cannot stand a dirty car so mine magically gets clean although not as frequently as hers. Don't know where she goes, but appreciate that I don't have to care.
When in San Diego I would happily go through the CostCo car wash as it only added a few minutes to the trip and so cheap. But here CostCo does not have a Car Wash so my car fades to gray.
Car color is very important for those of us who don't like to wash our cars! I've owned both black, and white, cars in the past and they look dirty the day after they are cleaned. But I've also owned a few gray / bronze / beige colored cars, and they are truly magical in terms of not showing dirt! My current vehicle is some basic bronze/beige color - "Titanium Glow" it's called. I swear, it looks no different months after being washed! I just did a quick search for a stock photo of my car in that color ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 28th 2022 at 5:38 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The only real question is - will spending all that extra time and money on 'detailing' make any difference when it counts - at the time of sale? I recently traded in a Lexus RX 350, and the guy gave it a quick walk-around looking for body damage, and that was it - price established. I doubt I would have received any higher price had there been fewer 'micro swirls' from car washes. Door dings and such are far bigger issues as far as I'm concerned.
You may be able to get away with this while the used market is good but when it start to downturn (and it will) you will to have to work harder on getting the best return. You typically get the best value when selling privately and this is where the buyers become very picky (especially on sports/luxury cars).

I enjoy washing my cars so it's DIY for me. Wash every 1-2 weeks and then a spray wax every 3 months or so. It also help enormously if you keep the cars garaged. The sun is not your clearcoats friend.
Old May 18th 2022, 3:55 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Can we talk about EVs for a moment?

I am browsing for my next truck. In the next 18 months it will come time to retire my 2015 F150 XLT. I was looking at the new all EV F150 Lightening, and I just cannot see how this, and EVs in general, can be adopted in rural areas without significant investment.

The projected range for the Lightening is 240 miles regular version, and 300 miles on the extended range version, and that's with only 1,000lbs being carried - that simply isn't good enough. If you're going to convince these 'good old boys' in the rural south (where the Pickup is BY FAR the predominate vehicle) they have to be cheaper, and have range similar to a tank of gas, and have to charge in a very small period of time.

The tech just doesn't exist for that to happen. 240 miles is what I cover in about 3 days of work, so the EVs just won't cut it... the solution? I have to buy another gas powered vehicle. I really don't want too, but I have no choice.

What are peoples thoughts on the future of EVs? Specifcally trucks?
Old May 18th 2022, 4:24 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

I am browsing for my next truck. In the next 18 months it will come time to retire my 2015 F150 XLT. I was looking at the new all EV F150 Lightening, and I just cannot see how this, and EVs in general, can be adopted in rural areas without significant investment.

The projected range for the Lightening is 240 miles regular version, and 300 miles on the extended range version, and that's with only 1,000lbs being carried - that simply isn't good enough. If you're going to convince these 'good old boys' in the rural south (where the Pickup is BY FAR the predominate vehicle) they have to be cheaper, and have range similar to a tank of gas, and have to charge in a very small period of time.

The tech just doesn't exist for that to happen. 240 miles is what I cover in about 3 days of work, so the EVs just won't cut it... the solution? I have to buy another gas powered vehicle. I really don't want too, but I have no choice.

Put a generator in the bed for continuous charging.

I dunno... I don't think the tech is anywhere near ready and infrastructure considerations are ignored. At least rural homes should have room for charging (if you can afford the equipment and possible re-wire/service upgrade) But I have no clue how anyone in an apartment, town house, or anyone with on-street parking for that matter, is going to cope.

Doesn't help any that I picked up my long-bed Chevy for under 30K after discounts.
Old May 18th 2022, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

It will be a long time before the working truck guy would want a EV truck. But for many others it would be easy to install a charging receptacle at your house and just charge overnight everyday. Few people would drive near 240 miles per day. What I would like to see for EV’s in general is take advantage of their potential simplicity and build a no frills modern VW beetle type car and sell it way lower than current prices. Then I would be interested in a electric car.
Old May 18th 2022, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would you not consider installing a charging solution at your home? If you could charge it overnight, then the fact that a charge only lasts 3 days should be irrelevant (or insignificant). I would have thought (but don't know) that installing some form of charger at home is not a big deal (and slower, 'overnight' charging solutions are cheaper than fast charging solutions). Secondly, I know a few people who don't have the ability to charge at home (street-parkers), but they charge at the office/work. Many businesses are installing charging stations in the office parking lots (and transit parking lots are getting chargers). Finally, a third option may be grocery stores / malls. Around me, Whole Foods are making a big effort to install charging stations in their lots, so you can do a 'quick top up' while shopping, and I'm seeing charging stations going in at even mid-sized shopping areas.

Specifically regarding trucks, I would have thought EV trucks would be a more compelling solution, not less compelling, compared to cars, from a 'distance' perspective. I'm basing this on the idea that trucks are used to make a lot of short trips, and not used for long-haul. Speaking for myself, I often drive 750 miles in one go (CA->AZ) and an EV is a less attractive option for me due to the need to make several charging stops. I would never consider making a 750 mile journey in a truck, as I want comfort/quiet/smooth on the drive (I realize trucks are getting quieter/smoother/comfortable all the time ...). So I would have thought an EV truck for 'local journeys' plus a conventional (or hybrid) vehicle for the long journeys would be a good combo.

Regarding 'long haul' journeys - even though I said I'd never consider an EV for my long-haul journeys, I have noticed that more and more freeway 'stopping points' (rest areas or 'malls') are getting charging stations. When I drive CA->AZ, I typically stop to rest / nap / eat first at Harris Ranch on I-5. Harris Ranch is 170 miles away, so I could reach that on a full charge. Tejon Ranch is my second 'rest' stop, and is another 124 miles, so an easy journey there. Cabazon Outlets is another favorite 'rest' area of mine (on I-10) and is 170 miles after Tejon Ranch; Finally, Quartzsite is another 150 miles beyond that, and then another 140 miles to Scottsdale. A Tesla takes less than 30 minutes to fully charge at a Tesla supercharger, and I typically stop for more than that on my 'rest stops'. So I could comfortably do the journey in an EV, if it were a Tesla (I don't know the details for how to charge non-Teslas).
Old May 18th 2022, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

240 miles is what I cover in about 3 days of work, so the EVs just won't cut it... the solution? I have to buy another gas powered vehicle. I really don't want too, but I have no choice.
Surely if you can charge at home then this is a total contradiction? You just plug it in when you get home at night and wake up with more than enough range and never have to go to a gas station...?
Old May 18th 2022, 8:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... What are peoples thoughts on the future of EVs? Specifcally trucks?
My thoughts? .... My post would definitely be deleted, and I might receive a ban.
Old May 18th 2022, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Chargers are just getting faster. EVs certainly fill a gap in the market. I go to the gas station about 4 times a year now. Messes up my grocery store gas rebates.

https://thenextweb.com/news/why-does...est-ev-charger
Old May 19th 2022, 12:28 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Home charging solutions are simply another barrier to entry. Why the hell would I want to spend another $5k, after having just spent $40k+ (at least) on a new EV truck? People will not adopt until they are as convenient as rocking up at a gas pump and being on your way in 5 minutes. Not to mention, how reliable are these batteries? Are there any long term tests on how long they last before needing to be replaced?

Although figures are not yet available, the Lightening is projected to be sub 100 mile range when towing a 10,000lb trailer... Even going from one place to another, that's pretty useless.

Until the tech doubles or even triples in either range capacity or charging time, I don't see myself adopting living where I do and doing a 80 miles round trip to work every day.

(And yes, I could buy a car instead, with a better range, but I genuinely need my truck for other uses, and who can afford 2 of the damn things? They're far too expensive)

My thoughts? .... My post would definitely be deleted, and I might receive a ban
I'm shocked that the guy that daily drives an F250 doesn't think EVs are practicable

Last edited by civilservant; May 19th 2022 at 12:32 am.
Old May 19th 2022, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

DerekB1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutek

I dunno... I don't think the tech is anywhere near ready and infrastructure considerations are ignored. At least rural homes should have room for charging (if you can afford the equipment and possible re-wire/service upgrade) But I have no clue how anyone in an apartment, town house, or anyone with on-street parking for that matter, is going to cope.
I've spent a LOT of time in London over the last three years and couldn't believe what I saw - extension power cables out of a second floor window running down the outside of the house and then across the pavement to the car... it actually took 4 days to get a photo as the owner of the vehicle couldn't get close enough to his house!

Old May 19th 2022, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Surely if you can charge at home then this is a total contradiction? You just plug it in when you get home at night and wake up with more than enough range and never have to go to a gas station...?
That is my experience. I plug it in once or twice a week for overnight charging and find that much easier than having to go to a gas station. My garage had a 220V outlet and that charges fast enough, I may eventually get a faster charger wired up but don't see the need at the moment.

I'll also say that out of my three cars, it is the EV6 that puts the biggest smile on my face. It is also so smooth and quiet so for everyday driving it is a joy. In my household it is the car that gets taken first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.