Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 19th 2022, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

When I was young I very conservatively drove older cars. To me the cars I liked best were the ones that cost the less and took me the most miles. Never worrying about getting a few scratches or getting stolen. I still feel that way but also don’t want to die and have others spend the generous retirement my wife and I have accrued. She is probably more frugal than me. I bought a new 2020 Corolla and may trade in for new car

in a few weeks. If any new arrivals are in need of a nearly new car I had rather sell cheap and both could come out ahead rather than give to a dealer as a trade. If this might appeal to anyone PM me and I could supply details.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 10:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
..... I bought a new 2020 Corolla and may trade in for new car in a few weeks. If any new arrivals are in need of a nearly new car I had rather sell cheap and both could come out ahead rather than give to a dealer as a trade. If this might appeal to anyone PM me and I could supply details.
Used cars, especially ones with low mileage and in good condition are reportedly still selling for stupid prices, so be sure to check around dealers and car buyers as you may find that it is worth more than you realize.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Used cars, especially ones with low mileage and in good condition are reportedly still selling for stupid prices, so be sure to check around dealers and car buyers as you may find that it is worth more than you realize.
i haven’t been to dealer to price a new car yet but intend to look at new Corolla hatchback and Honda Civic. My feeling is what the best trade offer is plus add in the sales tax advantage of a trade plus a little for the trouble and sell to someone for that price which I know would be a lot less than true retail value. I just didn’t want to go thru the hassle of advertising and trying to sell for maximum price.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

i haven’t been to dealer to price a new car yet but intend to look at new Corolla hatchback and Honda Civic. My feeling is what the best trade offer is plus add in the sales tax advantage of a trade plus a little for the trouble and sell to someone for that price which I know would be a lot less than true retail value. I just didn’t want to go thru the hassle of advertising and trying to sell for maximum price.
Is there a Carmax, or similar near you? They'll buy cars even if you're not buying from them? You could also get a quote on-line from webuyanycar.com and carvana.com. I have heard that part of Carvana's start-up business model, to bulk-up its volumes, is to over-pay for stock, so you might be able to take advantage of that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2022 at 11:51 am.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is there a Carmax, or similar near you? They'll buy cars even if you're not buying from them? You could also get a quote on-line from webuyanycar.com and carvana.com. I have heard that part of Carvana's start-up business model, to bulk-up its volumes, is to over-pay for stock, so you might be able to take advantage of that.
Thats a good idea. I will check it out.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I checked retail prices on Carmax and was amazed at the prices. Cars no where near as new or good as mine in the 20k and higher range. One with 120,000 miles maybe a year or two older still 19k. The only explanation I can think of is that new cars aren’t actually available.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered a new Chevy Silverado in September because of the crazy used prices. It was built in February but I'm still waiting.

Discovered yesterday that they have found a problem with the engine so have stopped delivery on ALL vehicles using the 6.6 Diesel engine until they resolve the problem.

I have no idea when I'm going to get it now.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

When I was young I very conservatively drove older cars. To me the cars I liked best were the ones that cost the less and took me the most miles. Never worrying about getting a few scratches or getting stolen. I still feel that way but also don’t want to die and have others spend the generous retirement my wife and I have accrued. She is probably more frugal than me. I bought a new 2020 Corolla and may trade in for new car

in a few weeks. If any new arrivals are in need of a nearly new car I had rather sell cheap and both could come out ahead rather than give to a dealer as a trade. If this might appeal to anyone PM me and I could supply details.
I very rarely change cars, but recently bought a new Toyota Venza. I will say, buying a new car does give you the opportunity to experience some of the new technology. I recall back in the early 90s buying a new car and really wanting 'anti-lock brakes', which were somewhat new back then. It also came with a 'reversing camera', something I didn't want but quickly learned to love (if you are an urban dweller, a reversing camera really helps you squeeze into tight spaces without damage!).

This new Venza has a staggering array of safety features, apparently standard on EVERY new Toyota. My favorite remains the blind-spot monitor, but the 'adaptive cruise control' is also quite impressive. You can basically set it at, say, 80mph on the freeway and it will hold that speed if safe to do so, but will also automatically slow down as you approach vehicles ahead, and speed up when clear. In this mode, it will also actively center you in the lane, making micro-adjustments to the steering. It also has niceties like seat coolers, steering wheel heaters, 12-way adjustable seats, seat memory, etc - things that used to only exist on luxury models. So I'm quite glad I plopped down the money for a new car.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I ordered a new Chevy Silverado in September because of the crazy used prices. It was built in February but I'm still waiting.

Discovered yesterday that they have found a problem with the engine so have stopped delivery on ALL vehicles using the 6.6 Diesel engine until they resolve the problem.

I have no idea when I'm going to get it now.
I saw the proposed buy back due to quality issues.
My F350 needs replacing, I am told the 6.7 Ford diesel is still a little hit and miss. I am hearing a lot of good things about the straight six 6.7 Cummins in the Dodge 3500
Old Apr 20th 2022, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I saw the proposed buy back due to quality issues.
My F350 needs replacing, I am told the 6.7 Ford diesel is still a little hit and miss. I am hearing a lot of good things about the straight six 6.7 Cummins in the Dodge 3500
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
If I choose to drop the Chevy and order something else, I lose my $1,000 deposit and will probably STILL have to wait another 6-9 months for delivery.
If I wait for this one, who knows when it will be released (if ever)? I've seen rumours that the 'fix' may be a new engine. Then where is mine in line behind the tens of thousands of other trucks? However, the diesel motor is warranted for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

The only positive is I'm not in desperate need. I have a 14,000lb fifth wheel for which my current Sierra 2500HD gas truck truck is borderline. It's right at the max weight but if I were to weigh it, I'm almost certainly overweight on the rear axle.Plus it gets 6mpg when towing. The new truck is a 3500 dually with the diesel motor.

I've never been a Dodge fan. However, the Cummins engine is a beast and the best thing about the Ram. However, they're also like rocking horse s#!t.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This new Venza has a staggering array of safety features, apparently standard on EVERY new Toyota. My favorite remains the blind-spot monitor, but the 'adaptive cruise control' is also quite impressive. You can basically set it at, say, 80mph on the freeway and it will hold that speed if safe to do so, but will also automatically slow down as you approach vehicles ahead, and speed up when clear. In this mode, it will also actively center you in the lane, making micro-adjustments to the steering. It also has niceties like seat coolers, steering wheel heaters, 12-way adjustable seats, seat memory, etc - things that used to only exist on luxury models. So I'm quite glad I plopped down the money for a new car.
It may not be "full self-driving" but it feels close. My wife's Highlander has the same features, and the adaptive lane control with lane centering really helps when driving 100s highway miles. I then get even more spoilt with my HUD in the EV6 so I no longer even need to look down to see the instrument panel.

I just think back to my Austin Metro which barely qualified as a car, and realize how far cars have come in my adult years.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
If I choose to drop the Chevy and order something else, I lose my $1,000 deposit and will probably STILL have to wait another 6-9 months for delivery.
If I wait for this one, who knows when it will be released (if ever)? I've seen rumours that the 'fix' may be a new engine. Then where is mine in line behind the tens of thousands of other trucks? However, the diesel motor is warranted for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

The only positive is I'm not in desperate need. I have a 14,000lb fifth wheel for which my current Sierra 2500HD gas truck truck is borderline. It's right at the max weight but if I were to weigh it, I'm almost certainly overweight on the rear axle.Plus it gets 6mpg when towing. The new truck is a 3500 dually with the diesel motor.

I've never been a Dodge fan. However, the Cummins engine is a beast and the best thing about the Ram. However, they're also like rocking horse s#!t.
I have driven Ford for a long time and was looking for a light duty truck around two years ago. I friend suggested I look at Dodge and I bought a Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4wd Off Road. So far I am quite pleased with it. The towing capacity is rated just over 11,000 lbs but I feel this is a stretch.
I called in a Dodge dealer the other day and the had two diesel 2500 models asking $6500 over invoice.
In my opinion Dodge found the Cummins engine as you say a beast.
Ford had the 7.3 the gold standard for a long time then had the 6.0 and 6.4 which were terrible finally using the 6.7 which gets better but still mixed reviews. It is anecdotal but I am seeing a lot more 3500 Rams picking up cars at the docks and on the highway pulling trailers.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Apr 20th 2022 at 11:58 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I have driven Ford for a long time and was looking for a light duty truck around two years ago. I friend suggested I look at Dodge and I bought a Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4wd Off Road. So far I am quite pleased with it. The towing capacity is rated just over 11,000 lbs but I feel this is a stretch.
I called in a Dodge dealer the other day and the had two diesel 2500 models asking $6500 over invoice.
In my opinion Dodge found the Cummins engine as you say a beast.
Ford had the 7.3 the gold standard for a long time then had the 6.0 and 6.4 which were terrible finally using the 6.7 which gets better but still mixed reviews. It is anecdotal but I am seeing a lot more 3500 Rams picking up cars at the docks and on the highway pulling trailers.
I agree that there seem to be more Ram Duallys out there than Ford or Chevy/GMC. I had a Dodge Caliber a few years ago it was 'OK' but nothing special and I was rather glad when it got totaled.

I really liked my Ford Expedition I had before the Caliber. I really love my current truck. It's just not enough truck for my current needs.

I'm more or less committed to just waiting out the current situation on the new one.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 7:20 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably some sort of sacrilege on this thread, but I'm looking for opinions on fully-electric or plug-in hybrid cars. It's not long until middle child will be learning to drive. She will need a car adapted with hand controls, and retrofitting said controls into an existing family car is an option but she will want (and has funds to purchase) her own vehicle. Aside from the hand control issue, one of the biggest draws for a plug-in is the ability to avoid the rigmarole of the gas station in a wheelchair.

I've been vaguely looking at cars like the Hyundai Kona. Almost all the options lists for "ordinary" EVs seem to push her towards the top-spec machines as she needs an electrically-adjustable driver's seat (so she can lean it back to get wheels and chair frame across her body and into the passenger footwell), but absolutely doesn't want a "big" SUV bodyshape because transferring in and out of a high seating position is a pain in the arse. Those two somewhat conflicting requirements, of course, both push the price bracket up well over the $50k CAD mark and limits practivcality of some smaller cars altogether, and so in turn open the discussion to include some other, more traditionally "premium" brands (Volvo C40, Audi Q4 e-tron...).

Anybody with real-world experience of living with a fully electric or PHEV that isn't a gargantua-mobile?
Old Apr 21st 2022, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a fan of plugin hybrids as I feel they are the worst of both worlds in the sense that you have both an internal combustion engine _and_ a large battery. That takes space up not only under the hood for the engine but also, typically, in cargo space either through a raised floor or a rectangular "box". Otoh, they do remove "range anxiety" whilst at the same time providing mileage that can far exceed what a hybrid will give you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.