Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 14th 2022, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I presume this was a labor of love ... the cost to ship a car like that must surely outweigh (pun?) the value? I can't imagine a strong resale market for a Ford Anglia (notwithstanding the fame of the model from Harry Potter!).
You'd be surprised. The car actually cost me very little. I dad paid 1200 GBP for it in 2014 as a barn find. He gifted it to me and therefore it only probably cost me $1000 in parts and shipping RORO was $800. By the time I drove to collect it from the Port and paid for petrol and hotels, along with import duties that added about $1200 to the total which comes out to $3k. Saloon versions of these in good condition sell for $10-15k and so far, I've only found 3 other Estates in the entire country, so arguably the rarity makes this worth more. Not that I intend to sell it anytime soon.

LBC's (Little British Cars) have quite a following in North America it seems.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am glad that people do preserve and/or restore quirky cars - they are all part of automotive history and I wouldn't want to live in a world where all preserved cars were Rolls Royces and Ferraris.

Harveyspecter, just a few posts above, has a Ford Anglia, which wouldn't be my choice, but the car means something to him and I am glad that he has taken the effort not only to preserve it, but also to bring it to America.
Agreed. Yes my aim is to get a 2020 Mustang Bullitt edition, but they cost more now than they did new and I'm not paying $50k for a 3 year old car, one of which is the largest depreciating make and model of car on the market traditionally. The estate looks scruffy and needs a repaint, but it is extremely original and has never been welded. So while it isn't as fun as a Mustang to drive, it is enjoyable in a different way.

The Anglia is a long story. My dad has had a saloon since the 70's (well before I was born) and it is very sentimental to all in the family. He purchased the estate to use in France when he retired, but his plans changed and it was just sitting there. Being left hand drive it is perfect for the US market and a taste of home for me. THough likely when dad is ready to part with his saloon, I'll be getting rid of the Estate to make room for it unless I get more garage.

Last edited by Harveyspecter; Jun 14th 2022 at 2:53 am.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:04 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Continuing from another thread ...

I'd love to hear what the dealership folks finally come up with, in terms of diagnosis / explanation. I presume this is the type of hybrid that has a hefty battery, and can run in EV mode for quite a while, only using the ICE for acceleration or when the battery is low? Basing this on "dropped out of EV mode". I have a hybrid but the primary design goal of my 'type' of hybrid is energy recovery from braking / coasting. I can force it to 'EV' mode, but it will only remain till I reach about 25 mph, and/or a few minutes of EV mode before the ICE kicks in. Toyota have a 'prime' line that comes with a bigger battery and supports a true 'EV' mode, but I didn't buy that one.
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
The battery is quoted as having 11.6 kWh useable, giving a maximum (again quoted) range of 55km in pure EV mode. The car has three different run modes - pure EV, hybrid and save.

Pure EV does what it says on the lid; in hybrid mode "it decides for itself" between EV and engine based on driving style and requirements; the engine will normally cut in when the speed comes up to around 70kmh. In save mode it favours recharging the battery to replenish up to around 80% charge - as per yours, through braking and coasting.

Although I mostly run in hybrid mode, this time I was using EV mode to run the battery right down in order to check the recharging time as I've just had a meatier electrical power outlet fitted at home.

It will indeed be interesting to see what the dealership diagnostics come up with; I've not heard back from them yet, which makes me think that they've had to order some replacement electrical gubbins from elsewhere.
Interesting! My hybrid has only a 1.6 kWh battery, and the g/f's Prius has only 1.3 kWh. The current Prius 'Prime' has an 8.8 kWh battery, and the Rav4 Prime has 18.1 kWh - wide range of capacities!

I guess we should continue this discussion over in the 'car' thread ...
I collected the car from the dealership earlier today, having been advised (slightly too) late last Friday that is was ready. As guessed, the fault was with some 'electrical gubbins' which was clarified today; "the intelligent module for the control of drive mode had malfunctioned, we had to order a replacement, it took a few days to arrive".

I've since cycled it through all three drive modes, and everything is back functioning as it should.

As a bonus the car was washed and waxed 'on the house'.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 2:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Continuing from another thread ....
As it's a EV/ hybrid, I wish you hadn't.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Tesla or Mustang, which is your preferred ride?
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-mach-e
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Tesla or Mustang, which is your preferred ride? ....
The Mach-E is an abomination. I'd sooner talk about washing machines than either, thx!
Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first mass produced EVs based on a washing machine motor

Old Jun 27th 2022, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I know you don't want one, but aren't you at least interested in the technology? Hybrids in particular are amazing vehicles from an engineering point of view; storing energy from braking / coasting and recovering it is inherently logical. Showing an interest in something doesn't mean you have to buy one ...
Old Jun 27th 2022, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know you don't want one, but aren't you at least interested in the technology? Hybrids in particular are amazing vehicles from an engineering point of view; storing energy from braking / coasting and recovering it is inherently logical. Showing an interest in something doesn't mean you have to buy one ...
We recently has a ICE loaner vehicle and my wife was complaining how the car was not smooth and was noisy. I don't miss the gas smell when backing out of the garage, very few trips to the gas station, so much quieter and as for torque , you can't beat an EV. So yes I understand why some people don't like them
Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:22 pm

You seem to think I was joking when I compared them to washing machines, but I wasn't. I don't find the technology interesting in the slightest, which I will concede is a little odd as I have had a near life-long interest in (gasoline powered) cars, trains (primarily diesels, which ironically are mostly diesel-electric), and a slightly lesser interest in planes and ships, but as far as electric cars go, they are all overgrown golf carts AFAIAC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 27th 2022 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe this train is sort of interesting

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-won-by-swedes
Old Jun 28th 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by mrken30
We recently has a ICE loaner vehicle and my wife was complaining how the car was not smooth and was noisy. I don't miss the gas smell when backing out of the garage, very few trips to the gas station, so much quieter and as for torque , you can't beat an EV. So yes I understand why some people don't like them
Some people like to ride horses despite horse-powered transportation being functionally obsolete for over a century. I like to drive petrol-engined cars with a manual transmission, and so does my wife (who drives a manual Accord as her daily driver to and from work and to take our daughter to school) there is nothing more complicted to understand than that.

We only bought our first ever automatic vehicle less than a year ago, and I only usually drive it when I don't have a viable alternative manual vehicle (it's our largest 4/5 seater with internal cargo space), and my wife rarely drives it.

I have driven electric vehicles, they have their uses, and in fact the first vehicles I ever drove were electric - fork lifts and ride-on pallet trucks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2022 at 1:14 am.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Running out of room here and thinking a bigger truck may be needed. Any advice?

Old Jun 28th 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv
Running out of room here and thinking a bigger truck may be needed. Any advice? ....
Visit a scrap yard, that's saleable aluminium!

As they're mostly not crushed, prob not that much though, maybe $5.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Some people like to ride horses despite horse-powered transportation being functionally obsolete for over a century. I like to drive petrol-engined cars with a manual transmission, and so does my wife (who drives a manual Accord as her daily driver to and from work and to take our daughter to school) there is nothing more complicted to understand than that.

We only bought our first ever automatic vehicle less than a year ago, and I only usually drive it when I don't have a viable alternative manual vehicle (it's our largest 4/5 seater with internal cargo space), and my wife rarely drives it.

I have driven electric vehicles, they have their uses, and in fact the first vehicles I ever drove were electric - fork lifts and ride-on pallet trucks.
Horses are still invaluable when the surface is not smooth. They still use mules to transport supplies to the bottom of the Grand Canyon because there's no alternative (other than helicopters, which they reserve for the really difficult stuff).

Hybrids are full-blown ICE vehicles, PLUS an energy recovery component added in, and as you said, 'diesel' trains (locomotives) are really 'deisel-electric', which is not far from a 'hybrid' vehicle (minus the battery).

So I'm going to conclude you have an irrational dislike for hybrids
Old Jun 28th 2022, 10:18 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
Running out of room here and thinking a bigger truck may be needed. Any advice?

Purchase a camper for the truck or a trailer to drag along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.