Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I used to date a girl with one of those....nice and curvy, not fast, but got you where you wanted to be, not very sophisticated, but great fun and awesome with the top open.
Sugarmooma will be along to frown at you shortly, no doubt.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
won't be smiling when I am filling the tank up
Post a pic of that so that we can smile for you.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Here's a picture of somebody who will smile while she fills up.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 10th 2013 at 3:38 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:47 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Here's a picture of somebody who will smile while she fills up.

http://vid.alarabiya.net/images/2013...x9_600x338.jpg
I know I know!.....but I do get $200 a week gas/car allowance so its not so so bad!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:55 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I used to date a girl with one of those....nice and curvy, not fast, but got you where you wanted to be, not very sophisticated, but great fun and awesome with the top open.
... are you describing the car or reminiscing about her??
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really enjoying it. I was gonna post stuff about it but the reaction I got from just saying I bought it kind of put a damper on that.
Hubby keeps toying with getting one of these, I'm not a huge fan, but at least it looks different and fun. I hate the way we have only had really boring cars since we moved to the US. We always had fun stuff in the UK, but have currently got two Jeeps. Hubby is on 6 month notice to get rid of his and get something fun that he wants, if he doesn't do it in that time, I get to choose

Originally Posted by yukichon
Does anyone have experience of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee as the wife has shown an interest in them?
I do. It's great for doing long trips in, nice and comfy, sits nice on the road, does good mileage. It's mainly used for just the usual daily trips, school run/store... It's easy to park, and has a huge boot, it has good visibility (although I have to peer around the wing mirror when making left turns as I'm such a short arse.) I find it a perfect size for our needs, and it's even ok for trips when we have the in-laws here, although now our daughter is getting older, it's getting a little more cramped in the back seat.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Something of a Swiss Army Knife among midsized SUVs, the Grand Cherokee is a versatile, well-rounded vehicle. When properly equipped, it is capable on or off road, and it makes a good choice for trailer towing. The ride is comfortable and the interior is quiet and well finished.

A 2014 freshening brought a significant boost to the Grand Cherokee's road-test score. Improved controls, better fit and finish, and a new eight-speed automatic, which improves performance, are high points of this update. Unfortunately, the transmission does nothing to improve overall fuel economy on the V6 version we tested.

What sets the Jeep flagship SUV apart from its competition is the wide range of powertrains and available trim levels. Those choices can make it anything from a comfortable suburban errand runner to a sure-footed off-road vehicle. Buyers can choose from V6 and V8 gasoline engines or a new diesel, rear or all-wheel drive, and six trim levels to suit their needs. The key is to weigh those options carefully before signing on the line, because the versatile Jeep can get expensive fast.

Why buy one:
•Versatility and towing capability
•Off-road capability when properly optioned
•Very refined, with a quiet well-finished cabin, plush-ride, and supportive seats
•Optional Uconnect entertainment system is one of the most user-friendly available
•Offers a diesel engine for thousands less than the competition
•Has the refinement and capability of expensive German competitors, but with a much lower sticker price

Why not buy one:
•Fuel economy is not class leading, and the new eight-speed automatic transmission did nothing for mileage
•Somewhat pricier than many competitors

Viable alternatives:
•BMW X5 if you want something sportier
•Lexus RX if you want something more luxurious
•Nissan Murano for something less expensive
•Dodge Durango shares the Jeep's platform but has three rows of seats

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/j.../road-test.htm

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by yukichon
Does anyone have experience of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee as the wife has shown an interest in them?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I hate the way we have only had really boring cars since we moved to the US. We always had fun stuff in the UK, but have currently got two Jeeps.
To be fair, 90% of the motors available in the US are boring! The yanks just don't appreciate what makes a decent car. Good on Ford for introducing the ST over here. I would like to hope it would encourage other manufacturers to introduce a bit of excitement into their ranges, but as the ST will probably end up with dismal sales figures out here, they probably won't!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Guy I worked for in the late 80s had one, but when he ran out of garage space and the next oddity came along, it was gone.
Reminds me, at college a couple of lads bought one for the price of a tank of petrol and ragged it around campus to get between dorm and classes. Lasted a couple of months before the tank emptied, as it was only a couple hundred meters

Car had an accident down the back of a hill when the tank was on fumes and never survived the fire though :/
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1
To be fair, 90% of the motors available in the US are boring! The yanks just don't appreciate what makes a decent car. Good on Ford for introducing the ST over here. I would like to hope it would encourage other manufacturers to introduce a bit of excitement into their ranges, but as the ST will probably end up with dismal sales figures out here, they probably won't!
Ford was selling a Focus ST here at least 11 years ago, so it appears to be neither a roaring success nor a dismal failure.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ford was selling a Focus ST here at least 11 years ago, so it appears to be neither a roaring success nor a dismal failure.
The 2014 ST was on my (very) short list, but I couldn't get one with the options I wanted.
I think it's great that they are pushing it with a manual trans, but I wonder if that will cost them in this market.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
We always had at least 1 convertible car in the UK, but when we moved to LA we decided it would be too hot to sit on the 101 in 110 degree heat with the roof off. Plus, most things we wanted were only manual, and that's no fun on LA freeways. Now we're in the Bay there is no excuse for us not to have something else.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:41 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

The 2014 ST was on my (very) short list, but I couldn't get one with the options I wanted.
I think it's great that they are pushing it with a manual trans, but I wonder if that will cost them in this market.
It will appeal to the handful of Europeans that want a manual. There are certainly more small hatchbacks on the roads here than 8-10 years ago but I think most of them are probably driven by expats.

Most of my expat friends here have bought small, European, manual transmission hatchbacks. (Mazda3speed and Golf GTI's being top of the list)
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bink
Most of my expat friends here have bought small, European, manual transmission hatchbacks. (Mazda3speed and Golf GTI's being top of the list)
Those were the other two on my list.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I know autos make sense for many reasons...
but not in a damn hothatch they don't

Anyone wanting a ST/GTi/TypeR/RS/etc. with an auto.... needs a lobotomy and quickly before they do themselves more damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.