Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:37 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Interesting, it sounds like they have overcompensated in turning it from a truck into an SUV, because my F250 crew cab is extremely firm, with little roll in the turns and every crack and ridge communicated back through the wheel and seat. My mother and wife both insist it is "comfortable" but although I enjoy driving it, "comfortable" would not be in the top ten words I would use to describe it.
Maybe it's a difference between the F250 and F150 as to me the Expedition handled exactly the same as my father in laws F150. Do you have a HD version? It could just be that the added weight of the 250 means it sits better on the suspension and doesn't bounce around as much (it's not exactly light now is it! )
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:40 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Maybe it's a difference between the F250 and F150 as to me the Expedition handled exactly the same as my father in laws F150. Do you have a HD version? It could just be that the added weight of the 250 means it sits better on the suspension and doesn't bounce around as much (it's not exactly light now is it! )
Our expedition is certainly a bit bouncy.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:48 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Our expedition is certainly a bit bouncy.
I don't know how Weeze drives it on a daily basis, the thing is massive!!
It's so much bigger than my Acadia, it's unreal.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think the HD version would make it an F350, and I don't recall mine being an HD. Mine is like a giant roller skate with very little roll in the corners. The only time I notice any significant movement in the springs is when I load it down with sand or gravel. Otherwise it surfs over minor roughness, and jumps over speed bumps, which depending on their profile can be quite unpleasant - the small ones are jarring, the super-wide rounded ones are much easier.

The only time I'd describe the ride as "comfortable" is on the interstate or similar major highways, unless your primary criteria for comfort is leg room (which I suspect is my mother's point as the largest car my father ever owned was a Vauxhall Astra!) because I doubt there is a vehicle this side of a stretched limo or conversion van with more leg room for five people.

It's roller skate-like qualities, combined with manual transmission and 2WD (which reduces its turning circle considerably) make it quite easy and fun to drive despite its considerable size (21½ft and over 6,000 lbs ).

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 11th 2013 at 3:38 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:25 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
The original Mustangs, with 6 cyl and small block v8's were Pony cars, based on the Ford falcon chassis. Mustangs these days are not.
Well, I would hope not. There hasn't been a Falcon in the US for almost fifty years.

The Mustang GT can be had with 420hp and the Shelby Mustang with a 5.8L engine, 662hp and 632 lb/ft of torque....now that is muscle and I would put it up against the Challenger any day in a race.
It's not a question of horsepower, but of style and displacement.

A Bugatti Veyron has over 1,000 hp, but it's not a muscle car. A muscle car is a style of car, not a measure of output.

The first muscle car was the Pontiac GTO, which was essentially a Tempest with a large block V8 (389, or 6.4 liters) in place of the standard small block 326. Similar idea to the Mustang -- family car platform, with a coupe body -- but the motor was of the large block variety.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:30 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
If you buy a V6 Mustang you deserve all the associated problems you asked for.
That is simply wanting a Mustang badge over a decent car.
The most recent V6 Mustang is a leap above the previous ones. The new one is a credible performer.

But the speed governor is there for a reason, namely that the motor produces more torque than the transmission can handle. Removing the speed governor was stupid -- it was there for a good reason, but some gearhead thought that he knew better than the engineers who designed his car.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:47 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how Weeze drives it on a daily basis, the thing is massive!!
It's so much bigger than my Acadia, it's unreal.
The problem I have is if I'm driving it on a weekend and I will drive over bumps at the speed I can in my car. Then we hear the push chair getting some air in the boot.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:49 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Love GTOs.

Pulaski iirc you can get the F250 in standard and super duty trim. The super duty is actually a different truck altogether, larger in every dimension than the regular duty. It has been so for a number of years now.

But I can't imagine any f250 was built for ride

Pete
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
..... Pulaski iirc you can get the F250 in standard and super duty trim. The super duty is actually a different truck altogether, larger in every dimension than the regular duty. It has been so for a number of years now. ...
I just took a quick look. As of model year 1999 there was only "a F250" (same for F350 and up). All are marked "Super Duty". There had been F250's and F250HD's prior to that, but mine is a 2003, so it is a Super Duty, and there was no variants of the F250 in 2003, or subsequently.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:18 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Ah so. Nice truck! I occasionally drive my employers, it's a beast. I could keep my little '91 S-10 in the back as a spare.

Pete
Old Oct 11th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would one even consider the V6 model as anything but a runabout and far from a muscle car? Who the hell would want to drive one 100mph? Most V6 Mustangs are sold to women. Enough said. You should have qualified your original statement with "V6 Mustangs are not sports cars". You left out the other two very powerful models.
I wouldn't class any of the V8's as sports cars either. The V6 model has the driveshaft problem, but all models have a rear axle rather than independent rear suspension and therefor handling and I'm guessing weight would, IMO, stop it being classed as a sports car.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the terms to describe cars are somewhat amorphous. As a general rule a "sports car" will have two seats and two doors. The Corvette has always been considered a "Sports Car." That said, the two seat T-Birds [both 1955-57 and 2002-05] were not marketed as such. [BTW, I drove a 2001 Lincoln LS V-6 for three years. But for crappy fit and finish, I really liked it -- turned it in when the lease was up. The firm had leased it in the first place].

I see no mention of "roadster." The Miata would fit in that category. I used to have a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger. That had the Ford small-block V-8 and a live axle -- it was both a roadster and a sports car in my book. [It also had an English top -- one of the easier ones to "erect" but I could not figure whether one stayed drier in the rain with the top up or top down.]

I remember the original "Z" car. "Datsun" had manufactured a roadster for several years which was like a British roadster. They then came out in 1970 with the "GT" with a 2.5 liter OHC six from one of their sedans, an IRS and a sexy coupe body. And the MSRP was $3,500.00. IMHO, that one car did in the US market for British roadsters such as MG and Triumph.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
But the speed governor is there for a reason, namely that the motor produces more torque than the transmission can handle. Removing the speed governor was stupid -- it was there for a good reason, but some gearhead thought that he knew better than the engineers who designed his car.
Maybe some 'gearhead' does what 'gearheads' do and tried to improve what he had.
Which, as he then found out, was very compromised product.

Fitting a speed governer because you have produced a product that is fundamentally flawed is not something any good engineer would say is a good idea.
Every manufacturer knows that there will be someone out there that pushes their product beyond what they intended. But to produce something that cannot cope with the stock engine's power characteristics in such a way is ridiculous.

Subaru once produced a vehicle in which the gearbox would fail due to the output of the engine, they redesigned the clutch to slip first, saving many expensive gearbox rebuilds,. Still not a perfect solution but far better than compromising the whole purpose of the car.

I don't know the Mustang scenario (so may research it if I get time) but I'm not sure how a speed governer can do anything anyway.
A speed governer (I'm assuming limits top speed?) cannot help in the case of producing too much torque for any other component in the drivetrain.
If that were the problem then it would happen in 1st gear under the most load. Not at a higher speed where load is much much less.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

I remember the original "Z" car. .

Aah, memories of Fancy Smith and Jock Weir. Those were the days . . .
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
one of the easier ones to "erect" but I could not figure whether one stayed drier in the rain with the top up or top down.]
Down
At least that way you weren't surprised when you got wet.

I see no reason to classify a car as a 'sportscar' based on what suspension it has fitted.
It is how it handles and behaves. Not what makes it do so.
Many cars over the years have performed extremely well with cart suspension and continue to do so even against modern set-ups.

As said, there are many terms used to group cars and not many give a cover-all as so many cars fit in different groups quite easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.