Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:01 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by markonline1
Really??? Jesus! Not sure I'd want to be doing 205 in one of them! Then again, the only CV's I've been in are cabs LOL
Hell no! I don't know how fast they go - 140?

I've banged into the limiter on mine though. They are surprisingly stable.

Pete
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Oye the Tiger was cool. 260c.i. engine as I recall. The engine was so snug that changing the plugs was a real chore. Go like snot though.
Mine was a late model with the 289. Seven of the plugs could be accessed fairly easily with the proper tools. The #4 plug was totally inaccessible except they put a hole in the firewall under the dashboard. With a 10" extension, the plug could be removed after removal of a rubber plug in the firewall. The standard location of the oil filter would not work so there were hoses for remote mounting. In addition, the standard location for the mechanical fuel pump was not usable, so a remote electric pump was used. To balance the car a tad, Carol Shelby moved the battery from behind the right seat [ahead of the rear axle] to the back of the trunk. So, the former battery access hatch was used for access to the fuel pump -- a lot of empty space there.

As an anti-theft device, a prior owner had wired the fuel pump into a switch hidden just under the dash board. When in the off position, the car would start and would drive 75 feet or so on the fuel in the carburetor bowl and then stop. I once discovered the car 75 feet from where I parked it. [Oh, the Lucas ignition switch was not all that secure -- the car key was for appearance only rather than using a screwdriver, but I digress].

The car was fun, but one 60's vintage British sports car broke me of ever buying British again. [BTW, several friends with old XJ jags would drop in a small block Chevy V-8 when that beautiful DOHC six would inevitibly overheat and self-destruct.]

Last edited by S Folinsky; Oct 11th 2013 at 8:11 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A few years ago, in Germany I think, a magazine did a test on a banked test track. They took a Prius and had a test driver run it as fast as was comfortable, given that it wasn't designed for autobahn cruising. Then they had an M3 match the Prius's speed around the track, and calculated the fuel consumption figures. Which one had the lower fuel consumption at the speed they ran?

I don't know what the benchmark speed was, but I suspect that several Prius drivers who blow past me on the interstate near where I live, when I'm doing 75-80, aren't getting even close to the fuel consumption figures Toyota brags about.
The Prius gets its best mileage on the City Cycle. At steady high speed it is simply a car with a small four-banger.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
.... At steady high speed it is simply a car with a small four-banger.
Not only that, it is carrying a substantial dead weight in batteries!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ But you can't tell them(Prius owners) any of this as it'd destroy their world.
Actually they just ignore the facts and talk nonsense until you drift away.

Talking of cars and being in the US.
Tomorrow I'm off to Silverstone for our last race weekend this year. Could be my last for quite some time if the Visa stuff goes as hoped.
All our quali and racing is on Sunday but tomorrow is the Blue Oval races, the pre-93 Touring cars and other old stuff.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Mine was a late model with the 289. Seven of the plugs could be accessed fairly easily with the proper tools. The #4 plug was totally inaccessible except they put a hole in the firewall under the dashboard. With a 10" extension, the plug could be removed after removal of a rubber plug in the firewall. The standard location of the oil filter would not work so there were hoses for remote mounting. In addition, the standard location for the mechanical fuel pump was not usable, so a remote electric pump was used. To balance the car a tad, Carol Shelby moved the battery from behind the right seat [ahead of the rear axle] to the back of the trunk. So, the former battery access hatch was used for access to the fuel pump -- a lot of empty space there.

As an anti-theft device, a prior owner had wired the fuel pump into a switch hidden just under the dash board. When in the off position, the car would start and would drive 75 feet or so on the fuel in the carburetor bowl and then stop. I once discovered the car 75 feet from where I parked it. [Oh, the Lucas ignition switch was not all that secure -- the car key was for appearance only rather than using a screwdriver, but I digress].

The car was fun, but one 60's vintage British sports car broke me of ever buying British again. [BTW, several friends with old XJ jags would drop in a small block Chevy V-8 when that beautiful DOHC six would inevitibly overheat and self-destruct.]
It is an interesting experience owning a car like that, warts and all.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago, in Germany I think, a magazine did a test on a banked test track. They took a Prius and had a test driver run it as fast as was comfortable, given that it wasn't designed for autobahn cruising. Then they had an M3 match the Prius's speed around the track, and calculated the fuel consumption figures. Which one had the lower fuel consumption at the speed they ran?

I don't know what the benchmark speed was, but I suspect that several Prius drivers who blow past me on the interstate near where I live, when I'm doing 75-80, aren't getting even close to the fuel consumption figures Toyota brags about.
At 75 or 80 nothing will get the fuel economy the vehicle is rated for. Highway ratings are done at 55mph.

Last edited by dakota44; Oct 11th 2013 at 10:42 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience most Prius drivers are utter twats.

Originally Posted by dakota44
At 75 or 80 nothing will get the fuel economy the vehicle is rated for. Highway ratings are done at 55mph.
I dunno, did a road trip in our 99 TownCar a few years back cruising through west Texas on I-10 at around 85 and got stunning mileage.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go with that eccles.
A fair few cars get better mpg at higher speeds than the official figures.
My track biased car is officially rated at 22mpg(combined). On a mway run at circa 80mph it returns 35mpg with ease. My auto model (officialy 20.5mpg comb) at that speed returns 40mpg.
Neither ever drops below around 17mpg unless on track.

If you can sit at a speed where the engine is working at it's most efficient and the drag isn't so bad, you can be light on the throttle and achieve good mpg. Even without fancy modern electronics to help.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
A fair few cars get better mpg at higher speeds than the official figures. .....
The revised "realistic" fuel consumption figures for my Accord are 23/31, which is odd because 30-31 mpg (510-520 miles between fill-ups) is the low end of what I have ever got for a whole tank.

When it was nearly new (nicely "run in") during the spring and fall when the choke didn't get used much, and neither did the AC, I was getting 34-36 mpg, which was at or above the original "unrealistic" highway figure of 34. The drop-off to 31+/-1mpg coincided with the introduction of E10. Pre E10 I could usually go 540-550 miles between fill-ups, and a couple of times I went over 600 miles between fill-ups! On a road trip vacation to the Outer Banks I once got 39½mpg!

Most of the mileage then, and now, is blowing up and down the interstate at 75 +/- 5mph.

Up until the summer of 2012 I drove the Accord most of the time, and pumped virtually all the gas into it. I habitually brim-filled it and calculated the mpg on a brim-brim basis. Now Mrs P drives it almost exclusively, .... and gets about 1mpg less than me, make of that what you will.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 12th 2013 at 1:36 am.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

A fair few cars get better mpg at higher speeds than the official figures.
My track biased car is officially rated at 22mpg(combined). On a mway run at circa 80mph it returns 35mpg with ease. My auto model (officialy 20.5mpg comb) at that speed returns 40mpg.
Neither ever drops below around 17mpg unless on track.

If you can sit at a speed where the engine is working at it's most efficient and the drag isn't so bad, you can be light on the throttle and achieve good mpg. Even without fancy modern electronics to help.
Sadly most of my driving is stop start city driving, perhaps the worst thing about the grid system.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sadly most of my driving is stop start city driving, perhaps the worst thing about the grid system.
You need some roundabouts

It is one thing I dislike driving in the US. All those traffic light junctions.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You need some roundabouts

It is one thing I dislike driving in the US. All those traffic light junctions.
Lights are shit, but the roundabouts are scary
Old Oct 12th 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Lights are shit, but the roundabouts are scary
Lights are shit, but the roundabouts are fun.

Though the locals probably agree with you, Bob, when they see me in my truck taking the roundabouts near where I live. One "three-way" is pretty much a chicane in one direction: right-left-right, close to the curb/ edge each time, and at about 25mph on a good day!
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lights are shit, but the roundabouts are fun.

Though the locals probably agree with you, Bob, when they see me in my truck taking the roundabouts near where I live. One "three-way" is pretty much a chicane in one direction: right-left-right, close to the curb/ edge each time, and at about 25mph on a good day!
I'd enjoy them if I could rely on other drivers to use them properly.

I've had a 18 wheeler come around the wrong way and nearly hit me, earlier in the week I was behind one that went the wrong way and a few weeks back had someone not even look and just floor it through and I went sideways and just missed him.

It's not like it's a new thing, one of the things has been around years and there's another across town and then about 4 in the local shopping complex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.