Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Like steering columns?
Ouch
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Ouch
No, "Ai!"

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 15th 2013 at 11:57 am.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the movie Senna ?
I started to watch it the other night but wasn't in the right frame of mind.
Will watch it when I am in the mood for being upset I guess.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
No, I haven't, and I doubt I will, I wasn't a fan, not at all. He was a great driver, but had a reckless streak, an irrational belief in fate. It was ironic that he died in a single vehicle accident caused by a mechanical failure.

Schumacher was more my style, a true master of his craft, and a master at tactical driving too. Honestly, I was disappointed that he returned behind the wheel, he had a stunning record and realistically there was no chance he could improve it.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
I have. Regretted it really... Took me back to a weekend I really didn't need to re-visit. Shit weekend from start to finish. So many things went wrong at that race meet.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I have. Regretted it really... Took me back to a weekend I really didn't need to re-visit. Shit weekend from start to finish. So many things went wrong at that race meet.
Agreed, they should have drawn the stumps after Roland Ratzenburger died.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't, and I doubt I will, I wasn't a fan, not at all. He was a great driver, but had a reckless streak, an irrational belief in fate. It was ironic that he died in a single vehicle accident caused by a mechanical failure.

Schumacher was more my style, a true master of his craft, and a master at tactical driving too. Honestly, I was disappointed that he returned behind the wheel, he had a stunning record and realistically there was no chance he could improve it.
I wasn't a fan of Senna. Until I watched the movie. It made me see the guy in a totally different light. The in car footage is spectacular!
Schumacher, meh, he was a cheat! Whether it was taking Damon Hill out to win the title, trying to do the same to Jaques Villenueve or parking his car at the end of quali at Monaco to bring out the yellow flags and guarantee himself the pole, couldn't stand the bloke. Plus the f****r almost ran me over on his moped one year at Silverstone LOL.
A true driving god, James Hunt, which reminds me, I'm off to see Rush tomorrow
Old Oct 15th 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1
I wasn't a fan of Senna. Until I watched the movie. It made me see the guy in a totally different light. The in car footage is spectacular!
Schumacher, meh, he was a cheat! Whether it was taking Damon Hill out to win the title, trying to do the same to Jaques Villenueve or parking his car at the end of quali at Monaco to bring out the yellow flags and guarantee himself the pole, couldn't stand the bloke. Plus the f****r almost ran me over on his moped one year at Silverstone LOL.
A true driving god, James Hunt, which reminds me, I'm off to see Rush tomorrow.
I liked James Hunt, but he was a flawed character too. I used to live about half a mile from his house when I was a student, I never saw him in the area though.

I'm jealous of you seeing Rush. I've only seen them once, sad to say, and would like to ser them again, preferably on the 2112 tour in the spring and summer of 1976!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked James Hunt, but he was a flawed character too. I used to live about half a mile from his house when I was a student, I never saw him in the area though.

I'm jealous of you seeing Rush. I've only seen them once, sad to say, and would like to ser them again, preferably on the 2112 tour in the spring and summer of 1976!
Aren't the flawed characters the most interesting to follow though. Take Vettel, great driver, but something of a robot behind the wheel (even though he seems you be quite a good personality out of the car) then take Raikonnen. Somewhat ofa head case, but I love watching, and hearing him drive.
I was too young to appreciate James Hunt at the time, but love watching documentaries on him and love how he comes across as a swashbuckling driving maverick.
Similarly, I'm too young to be that familiar with your 70's Canadian rock combo LOL
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I live in an area where Spanish place names are not pronounced like they are in Spanish. "Los Angeles" is exhibit number one. Here is a recent L.A. Times article about my neighborhood.

BTW, I wonder why Mini call their car a barrelmaker.

Like Amarillo, Texas. The double ll in Spanish is pronounced like a y. I've often wondered if they know that they actually live in Yellow, Texas.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:47 pm

Agreed, they should have drawn the stumps after Roland Ratzenburger died.
We were sat in a bar, watching it on TV. I remember us all waiting for him to get out of his car, and then realizing he was not going to.

Barrichello's accident was horrific as well. Like I said, shit weekend.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed the flawed characters are what makes the sport.
We'd get bored watching the professor all the time.

Senna - greatest talent. Schumacher - greatest ability. James Hunt - greatest character. Jim Clark - not sure he even had a flaw tbh, natural talent. Kimi - often mistaken for a quiet, reserved character, very much a party animal.
Senna and Schumacher are similar in that they both have great ability but knew how to make the most of it. Thug or cheat? Too good at driving for me to condemn either.

Rush I have seen a few times. One of my favourite bands.

Rush the movie I've only seen snippets but have watched many documentaries with previously unseen footage (one on BBC a few weeks ago) and if they haven't gone too Hollywood it should make a very good watch. Hunt vs 'The Rat' was good stuff. "You're the only man I know who gets burned in a fire and comes out better looking" (may be a slight paraphrase)

And that is the exact reason I didn't watch it the other night.
I know the good will be saddened by the bad.

A little like the emotions I get from watching "F1 - The Killer Years".
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

John Cooper, probably the most famous racing car driver/designer/ engineer anyone has ever/ never heard of! Thanks to BMW, which revived the "Cooper" name used on the tuned-up Austin Minis of the 1960's and 70's, he is now famous, though paradoxically, very few people actually know who he was; in many respects Britain's answer to Carroll Shelby.

Who was John Cooper?
I forgot to put in the . Mea culpa.

As an American, I'm fully aware that Cooper was responsible for the beginning of the demise of the classic Indianapolis roadster with the Offenhauser engine.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

So, just been to see Rush (the film, not the band LOL). Bloody brilliant!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:59 am

1st full tank of gas gone... The nice lady who lives in my dashboard tells me I average 28.2mpg. Quite pleased with that really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.