Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:27 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That's it! I can just see two big woolly heads side by side in the back!
It comes with an Open-o-meter gauge. (Not kidding). It keeps track of how many hours of motoring you do with the top down.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon

Yes, Japanese cars are reliable from an engine point of view, but they are made from some shockingly poor quality materials internally, look like crap, and bodies made from recycled beer cans.
Having done some temp work on weld repairs for a outfit that supplied parts to Honda, they have some insanely high tolerance specs for their steering/wheel/tank parts, especially for the EU models, US models weren't as strict.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, saw what looked like fresh from the dealer new, Mazda RX8.

It was facing the wrong way and till I went past it, looked fab. Front end though, pancaked by a Suburban that ran a stop sign.

Suburban didn't look that great either, surprisingly, but was mostly not squished in the front.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Back when I did the temp work, was next door and the over flow of mini's went right up to the fence. There were a fair few of them that got pissed on...because the bogs were the other end of the floor, so everyone nipped out the back for a piss, which was just above the parked mini's....
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:41 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
It comes with an Open-o-meter gauge. (Not kidding). It keeps track of how many hours of motoring you do with the top down.
Whatever happened to don't ask, don't tell . . .
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the "limited" part referred to the amount of time it was going to work.
The car was 16 years old when the differential stopped differentiating.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:44 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Whatever happened to don't ask, don't tell . . .
Getting a bit late in the year for that.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a bit late in the year for that.
With the rear window panel more opaque than see through these days, I'm ready for the hard top anyway! But it still makes me sad, every year . . .
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Having done some temp work on weld repairs for a outfit that supplied parts to Honda, they have some insanely high tolerance specs for their steering/wheel/tank parts, especially for the EU models, US models weren't as strict.
That ties in perfectly with what we've always noticed over the years.
Japanese made Hondas have always been the favourite, the UK built ones weren't as good but they soon got their act together. The American made ones were always looked at as the equivalent to the old UK Ford and BL 'friday afternoon cars'.
But we've never been able to be absolutely sure if it really was a differing quality issue or if we imagined it on every car. And of course it's not something a manufacturer would let slip.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jonion
But we've never been able to be absolutely sure if it really was a differing quality issue or if we imagined it on every car. And of course it's not something a manufacturer would let slip.
In this instance, the tolerance on a single part wouldn't make to much difference, but when you add them all up I guess it would. It's been about 10 years now anyway.

For instance on one part, steering arm, robot blows through a run, every 100 gets QA'ed and if there's a fail, the previous batch gets paletted up and checked and I'd repair and QA those failures. Case of robot weld sticking, being x or why short/long at a seam and for the EU it had to be within 20mm on one part but 60 mm for the US, different tolerance because the US had galvanised steel instead, which causes more weld sticking, which knackers getting a tight seam as they go over as the robot does a reset and it happened often.

Anyway, if they were out of tolerance, they were scrapped, it not, they were repaired and batched in bundles of ten and QA'd.

I was told any part that I passed QA on after a fix that Honda failed QA resulted on a 10K fine to the company. Then again was told not to worry about that as they got a bigger bonus for delivery a head of schedule and there was a warehouse of back logged parts to go over as they hadn't had a welder in ages at that point.

I'm no welder btw, but did get certified as part of a H&S thing while at Uni, so it came in handy at least
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I pulled into a Lowes parking lot (not the TR7 Lowes, referred to above) after picking little Miss P up from school, and she exclaimed "Daddy, look at that car!" It was something I have never seen in the US before, and never expected to: a motorized cardboard box Citroen 2CV. We went over to talk to the driver, and it was in immaculate condition, an '83, which he had imported from France seven years ago.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In this instance, the tolerance on a single part wouldn't make to much difference, but when you add them all up I guess it would. It's been about 10 years now anyway.
The differences you can feel would agree, it's not something any of us could put our fingers on, they just felt different and not in a good way.
I think the factories all around the world have been slowly pulled into line over time. So now the differences in quality are not so prevalent.

I went on a tour of the Honda plant in Swindon a few years back ( our H club had some connections with Honda UK) and it was pretty impressive.
The QA department was almost regimental and were so in to keeping up standards. Not often you'd see pride in a UK car plant is it

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I pulled into a Lowes parking lot (not the TR7 Lowes, referred to above) after picking little Miss P up from school, and she exclaimed "Daddy, look at that car!" It was something I have never seen in the US before, and never expected to: a motorized cardboard box Citroen 2CV. We went over to talk to the driver, and it was in immaculate condition, an '83, which he had imported from France seven years ago.

Another car I'd never have (unless as novelty) but our race series is often at the same meetings and they are a joy to behold. Momentum is the key to life.
They do 24hr endurance races and watching the mechanics pull and replace an engine in less than twenty minutes is just silly.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It was something I have never seen in the US before, and never expected to: a motorized cardboard box Citroen 2CV.
I've yet to see any, but talking to one of the petrol heads at work, there are supposed to be a handful of them round here.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

There's one in town, I see it now and again by one of the cafes. Outside is in mint shape, inside looks like a bomb has gone off in it
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jonion

I went on a tour of the Honda plant in Swindon a few years back ( our H club had some connections with Honda UK) and it was pretty impressive.
The QA department was almost regimental and were so in to keeping up standards. Not often you'd see pride in a UK car plant is it
My mum is mates with the husband who was lead designer of the Civic R Type a few years back and you'd never believe he'd designed a boy racer. Was the definition of a tweed wearing Don type person

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.