Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:07 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

I've found the Discount Tire near Katy Mills good.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:10 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Not work safe (Audio).

Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, I'm looking at various sites, but struggling with the 4.8 star gazillion positive reviews for a $120 tire vs the 4.8 star similar ratings for a $200 tire. ....
I think a lot of the ratings reflect customer expectations. Cheap tires are often noisy and/or give a poor ride, OR are OK on sound and comfort, but have a shorter life. Just like cars themselves, a Kia buyer may be every bit as pleased with their car as a BMW driver, but that doesn't mean they are equally good, and the same is true for tires; no matter how good the buyer of $120 tires feels, they're still cheap tires.

I have always (US & UK) spent quite a lot of time on interstates/ motorways, and high speed highways, so I have always valued good quality tires, and been willing to pony-up for them, which usually means Michelins, but my truck is likely to get the closest Bridgestone to the OEM installed originals as I can find. I am not sure if the Mustang the going to get more OEM Goodyears before its inspection.

On the question of retailer, I've always found Tire Kingdom to be price competitive, and with longer hours than Discount Tire, i.e. open in the evening when I'm not at work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 25th 2013 at 3:31 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think a lot of the ratings reflect customer expectations. Cheap tires are often noisy and/or give a poor ride, OR are OK on sound and comfort, but have a shorter life. Just like cars themselves, a Kia buyer may be every bit as pleased with their car as a BMW driver, but that doesn't mean they are equally good. I have always (US & UK) spent quite a lot of time on interstates/ motorways, and high speed highways, so I have always valued good quality tires, and been willing to pony-up for them, which usually means Michelins, but my truck is likely to get the closest Bridgestone to the OEM installed originals as I can find. I am not sure if the Mustang the going to get more OEM Goodyears before its inspection.
That is exactly the problem I have with online reviews.

What are the Bridgestones you have on there at the moment?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:34 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I've found the Discount Tire near Katy Mills good.
I will 99% likely use Discout Tire - they are always best on price, and I've only had one problem in 10 years (broken wheel stud at the Westheimer one which they sorted out OK). I normally go to the one at the top of Mason, but only because they were there before the Katy Mills one. I use the KM one to top off the trailer tires as it is stored just over the road, so maybe give them the tire job tis time as well.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Used to hear quite a lot of him on Blue Collar Radio a while back. Always good for a chuckle..
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

www.consumerreports.org
Professional reviews, without prejudice.

Regards, JEff
Any recommendations for the new tyres?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 25th 2013 at 4:32 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... What are the Bridgestones you have on there at the moment?
My mistake, they're Firestones: Steeltex Radial R4S LT265/75R16
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
www.consumerreports.org
Professional reviews, without prejudice.

Regards, JEff
I'm a cheapskate and let my subscription lapse....normally just renew when I'm buying something big.....may have to have a look later...
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:51 pm

My mistake, they're Firestones: Steeltex Radial R4S LT265/75R16
Firestone are on my sh1tlist ever since the local service center tried to screw me over a grand for a new oil pan on the wife's Mazda 3 a while ago....all it needed was a new plug that Kwek Karl lube gave me for a couple of bucks!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:54 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Firestone are on my sh1tlist ever since the local service center tried to screw me over a grand for a new oil pan on the wife's Mazda 3 a while ago....all it needed was a new plug that Kwek Karl lube gave me for a couple of bucks!
It was a Firestone center that managed to b0rk the steering box on my Dodge Ram. Not that it steered that well to begin with.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

OT...

Finally got round to pressing that little "Sport" button. Damn!
Sport button is fun...it's a bit poo where I live though as you keep having to slow down to avoid the pot holes.

One thing I miss is the "Winter" mode that we used to have. Really nice to use to pull away from all the ploughed in snow banks at the junctions down my way. Especially as the car doesn't have 1-2 drive gears in the auto to choose from either :/
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:58 pm

I was surprised when my shiny new F250 came shod with Firestones as it was less than a year after the final chapter of the bust up between Ford and Bridgestone-Firestone after the Explorer tire deflation debacle. Ford had apparently favoured Firestone since the 1920's, but had supposedly told Bridgestone-Firestone to sling their hook around 2001. However, by the summer of 2002 that was obviously not the case.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:02 pm

It was a Firestone center that managed to b0rk the steering box on my Dodge Ram. Not that it steered that well to begin with.
I've never used one of those non-manufacturer branded service centers. The local franchise service centers are closer, and the charges are very reasonable rarely more than about $100-$120 for either Ford or Honda, including Mobil 1 full synthetic oil, for the basic 10,000 miles services.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:05 pm

I've never used one of those non-manufacturer branded service centers. The local franchise service centers are closer, and the charges are very reasonable rarely more than about $100-$120 for either Ford or Honda, including Mobil 1 full synthetic oil, for the basic 10,000 miles services.
Didn't get a choice. It was a warranty claim (for something else initially) and that was where I got sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.