Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:09 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
Meanwhile, In Mini JCW land... A cold and frosty day dawns. A layer of ice covers the bodywork of the JCW.

The early morning peace is suddenly shattered by the unfamiliar sound of an engine starting, free of misfires.

Woo!

Cool - did they tell you what was up with it?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:17 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Cool - did they tell you what was up with it?
There is a known issue with the High Pressure Fuel Pump on some of the Turbo models. Apparently some are not providing the pressure to spec.

The cold start mode requires a higher pressure than regular running, so if the pump is out of spec (or beginning to fail) one of the early symptoms is a cold start issue.

Early days, but it seems the new pump has rectified the issue. We shall see.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:26 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the car, and congrats on starting the car Here's hoping your fuel pump works!

I knew a guy that had a 1st gen GTI, at 300k (reliable!) miles he could still get it to lift a back tire.

I drive an auto and a manual, manual's down though.

Pete
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
The interior of the ST was very high tech, and the handling of the car was overall very nice. The Recaro seats were hurting after 5 minutes, but I didn't mess around with adjusting them (though I did read that is a common complaint with the car). But the amount of torque steer was laughable, and then I read that it is meant to be electronically controlled.

Plus I got $2k for my holey engine (+ they will deal with towing) from a VW dealer while the two Ford dealers with the ST I would have wanted were struggling to offer me $1k. I had told them all the best chance they had of the sale was working with me on my existing car, and the VW dealer listened.
I missed seeing this yesterday.

Interesting stuff on the ST, I had been looking around for some sort of sporty hatch-type "something" but couldn't find an ST anywhere. I'm sorta glad now.

Sounds like you made out. A good return on the old one as well, given that you weren't returning all of it.

I was also looking at the GTI, the Mazda Speed 3 and the Mini Coupe. Really only made my mind up when the chance at the JCW came up, I had not really considered one until it was right in front of me.

I have discovered a couple of things that make my JCW immeasurably more practical and useful.

1) It has a manual override for the spoiler. Now I can sit and make it go up and down without actually driving anywhere. This will allow me to use almost NO petrol, whilst still enjoying my favorite part of the car.

2) When I DO go places, it makes a lovely *blatt* sound between gearshifts.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:14 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

.... It has a manual override for the spoiler. Now I can sit and make it go up and down without actually driving anywhere. This will allow me to use almost NO petrol, whilst still enjoying my favorite part of the car.
Full of win!!

Pete
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:58 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts on the 2015 Mustang?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015/

I wouldn't say it looks entirely new as they claim...
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Still has to look like a Mustang, though, so it's never going to lose several styling points!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the new Mustang, it seems to have some of the 'original' curves that the current one lacks.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:29 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Still has to look like a Mustang, though, so it's never going to lose several styling points!
Oh I realize that, I just wouldn't have described it as completely new looking. Updated is a better term. I don't like the back that much - something about the slope of the taillights doesn't look right to me, but I like the rest of it, especially the front and the headlights.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:32 am
Mions' a point.

I'm unsure, I'll have to wait to see it in person. I liked the outgoing one.

Pete
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Bink

I like the front, but dislike the headlights. The side view is nice, really dislike the rear.

More info here...
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2...s-reveal-info/

Last edited by Nutek; Dec 5th 2013 at 2:05 am. Reason: Link added
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

2) When I DO go places, it makes a lovely *blatt* sound between gearshifts.
A mate at uni put in a dump valve in his old VW Beetle...that thing was already modded and loud to begin with, but it went mental loud around campus after that
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink

I like it. On the TG Facebook page, a lot are saying it's a rip off of the front end of an Aston. They've obviously not seen the Fusion then LOL. Also people on their moaning about the fact it has a 4 cyl. These people are clueless. That's clearly done in readiness for the euro market and the V8 is still available which was the better engine anyway. My mate up in Canada thinks it looks a little Taurus like. Again, not really agreeing. I'm a big mustang fan anyway, so am probably biased, but I think it looks a great car.

Last edited by markonline1; Dec 5th 2013 at 4:56 am.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:29 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I like the front, but dislike the headlights. The side view is nice, really dislike the rear.

More info here...
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2...s-reveal-info/
The front has a hint of Camaro about it. I agree about the rear, it just looks squat, almost pyramidal from rear on.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:43 am
Mions' a point.

I noticed the non too subtle Aston ripoff, again. We need some knackered blokes from Gaydon to stop by Fords' design studios with bats, some broken kneecaps'll cure'em.

Pete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.