Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:56 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Here's a song about rag-tops, for all those who used to drive one. I worked the words of the chorus into a blog of mine in April this year called "Me and Miss Ohio". A Triumph TR-3 was the only NEW car I have ever bought, in 1967, newly married in the Bahamas. The TR-3 was not nearly as sexy as the TR-4, but by the time the 4 came out it was too late for me. Both models were called "Spitfire", I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lo4TUtV1tg
The "Spitfire" was a different model from the TR-x's. I recall that it was meant as competition for the Spridgets.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The "Spitfire" was a different model from the TR-x's. I recall that it was meant as competition for the Spridgets.
Spot on. The Spitfire was a smaller car with totally different styling, like the MG Midget.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Spot on. The Spitfire was a smaller car with totally different styling, like the MG Midget.
Yes, yes, you're quite right. I've just been on Google. These old farts and their false memories...! It was a Spitfire that we bought - not a TR-anything!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. The Triumph Spitfires were small, and very low two seaters. They were all very similar in appearance, and if I remember correctly the Marks I, II, and III all had 1200cc engines, but the last revision, the Mark IV, had a 1500cc engine. They resemble a motorised tea tray! The oddest thing about their appearance is that the highest point on the bodywork is significantly ahead of the windscreen.

I saw one near the town where Iive about four years ago. It headed off down the highway towards my home, so I followed it. It turned into my subdivision, and then into the cul de sac where I live, but whipped around at the end and rocketed back out before I managed to even try to flag the driver down.

Here's a picture from the internet.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 22nd 2013 at 1:15 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

In later years, the Spitfire would have been (and probably was) dismissed as a chick's car, but we thought we were pretty cool back then, driving around with the rag-top down. Ours was white or cream. In 1970 in Perth (Australia) we bought a second-hand one in BRG, just like the one in Pulaski's photo. By that time I was losing my hair, and a half-bald bloke in a little convertible never looks cool! Never went down that road again.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... a half-bald bloke in a little convertible never looks cool! .....
Obviously it was time to move over to a Corvette!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:26 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a TR-3A, with wire wheels. I think it was a lot sexier than the more boxy TR-4.

Regards, JEff
The TR-3 was not nearly as sexy as the TR-4...
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:25 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In looking over this post, I am reminded of the Michelin TRX tires. My 1983 Peugeot 505S has those shoes. Expensive when baby needed new showes.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Not very good tyres, either.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:04 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Not very good tyres, either.
Beg to disagree -- ride and handling were excellent. BMW and Porsche used them for a reason. Also on Mustangs/Capris. However, because of the fact that they required special rims, there was really no secondary market [e.g. change over TO TRX].
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

OK, if this thread is going to move into tyres, I'm looking for a recommendation....I've got a 2012 F150 that is going to need new tyres pretty soon. Currently has the original Pirelli Scorpion STR on it, which have lasted a touch shy of 30,000 miles. Don't need off-road capability, all mileage is town/highway, and about 20% is towing.

Any recommendations for the new tyres?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
OK, if this thread is going to move into tyres, I'm looking for a recommendation....I've got a 2012 F150 that is going to need new tyres pretty soon. Currently has the original Pirelli Scorpion STR on it, which have lasted a touch shy of 30,000 miles. Don't need off-road capability, all mileage is town/highway, and about 20% is towing.

My F250 has just racked up 60,000 miles on the stock Bridgestones that it came on. It'll need to be reshod before its inspection next April and I am almost certain to put the same (or as near as possible) tires back on it.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:51 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe hit up Tirerack.com and check out the reviews (and prices) there.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:57 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm looking at various sites, but struggling with the 4.8 star gazillion positive reviews for a $120 tire vs the 4.8 star similar ratings for a $200 tire....Although Ford must have a secret mine of gold plated tires, cos I asked the dealer, just for laughs, what he could do - $265/tire plus fitting/balancing!!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:03 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm looking at various sites, but struggling with the 4.8 star gazillion positive reviews for a $120 tire vs the 4.8 star similar ratings for a $200 tire....Although Ford must have a secret mine of gold plated tires, cos I asked the dealer, just for laughs, what he could do - $265/tire plus fitting/balancing!!
Can't help with the reviews, but I will say that I have had good experiences with the service from Tirerack. Hassle free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.