Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I dropped into a Walmart where they had the battery/auto center and asked the guy if they sold any distilled/deionized water to top up my battery - the guy who managed the battery area told me they just use tap water on the ones they sell.
Do they still sell unsealed car batteries? Probably was a young kid that wasn't around when unsealed batteries were common.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Do they still sell unsealed car batteries? Probably was a young kid that wasn't around when unsealed batteries were common.
I'd guess he was late 30's. Seemed to indicate that some batteries get delivered dry and they add water.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess he was late 30's. Seemed to indicate that some batteries get delivered dry and they add water.
It wasn't water, it was acid. Hypothetically if there was concentrated sulphuric acid in the battery, adding water to it would be very dangerous, because the reaction of concentrated sulphuric acid with water is strongly exothermic and can create steam and noxious fumes.

Originally Posted by Michael
I have not seen an unsealed battery in a long time, not since the late 90's at least - I think the Ford that I owned between 1989 and 1998 had one, maybe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 2nd 2014 at 4:23 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:29 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It wasn't water, it was acid. Hypothetically if there was concentrated sulphuric acid in the battery, adding water to it would be very dangerous, because the reaction of concentrated sulphuric acid with water is strongly exothermic and can create steam and noxious fumes.

I have not seen an unsealed battery in a long time, not since the late 90's at least - I think the Ford that I owned between 1989 and 1998 had one, maybe.
The one I purchased 6 weeks ago is unsealed and you can pop-off the two covers to look at the cells. The one it replaced was unsealed. The one on my other vehicle is unsealed.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The one I purchased 6 weeks ago is unsealed and you can pop-off the two covers to look at the cells. ....
Why would you want to? Technology has moved on.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Why would you want to? Technology has moved on.
I didn't ask specifically for one, that was what came.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:55 pm

I didn't ask specifically for one, that was what came.
Through some sort of time warp?
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 5:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Through some sort of time warp?
The one that came off was a Duralast Gold 34DT, can't remember the one that went on.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So ringing around again and the local Walmart got a new shipment of car batteries in and had the one I needed even though they don't have a lube shop....saved having to drive miles away there for the battery.

Neighbour chap gave me a lift so I didn't have to deal with it in the car park and Walmart exchanged it without a problem. They do a test and a charge cycle which can take a bit of time first, but the battery test said it had dead cells and wouldn't do the charge cycle so only took a couple mins.

They didn't have the exact same battery but was able to get a 5 year warranty one instead.

Anyway, as I didn't have the receipt, I had to pay the tax on this, so $8 isn't to bad...apparently it works like a refund applied to a new purchase but MA doesn't allow stores to refund sales tax if there isn't a MA receipt so I was that short on the new battery.

Also saw a lovely looking E-Type Jag on the back of a truck that was parked up the street from our place.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:50 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So ringing around again and the local Walmart got a new shipment of car batteries in and had the one I needed even though they don't have a lube shop....saved having to drive miles away there for the battery.

Neighbour chap gave me a lift so I didn't have to deal with it in the car park and Walmart exchanged it without a problem. They do a test and a charge cycle which can take a bit of time first, but the battery test said it had dead cells and wouldn't do the charge cycle so only took a couple mins.

They didn't have the exact same battery but was able to get a 5 year warranty one instead.

Anyway, as I didn't have the receipt, I had to pay the tax on this, so $8 isn't to bad...apparently it works like a refund applied to a new purchase but MA doesn't allow stores to refund sales tax if there isn't a MA receipt so I was that short on the new battery.

Also saw a lovely looking E-Type Jag on the back of a truck that was parked up the street from our place.
That all worked out alright really.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
That all worked out alright really.
Yeah, not to bad really. Bit of a faff waiting for someone at the customer service desk that knew how to run the battery tester and/or speak English, but once the chap arrived, it all went well
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, not to bad really. Bit of a faff waiting for someone at the customer service desk that knew how to run the battery tester and/or speak English, but once the chap arrived, it all went well
It sounds like you got a great deal. No receipt, 18 months use of a battery, returned in a different state, a new battery with a 5 year warranty, and the cost is $8.

If it was tires (or tyres), then the warranty is only good if the tires wear evenly and then they prorate the tread wear and milage and take that off the retail price of new tires.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:15 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch

Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yeah, someone's going to be a bit pissed when they find someone's double parked them in...
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:35 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, someone's going to be a bit pissed when they find someone's double parked them in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.