Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'm really enjoying it. I was gonna post stuff about it but the reaction I got from just saying I bought it kind of put a damper on that.
Oye....we all buy what we like. Everyone has different taste. But we all get a few jokes from those whose taste differs. You like it, and that is what counts. Be proud and post all the info that you want about it.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:28 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm grieving for your lost ride -- is the new one really more fun to drive? Saw a convertible version of your new car in person today and the shape is, well, unusual! Is there rear seat dog space?
Hard to compare really...

It is a fun drive. I'm not sure it's the same fun as the Miata, but it is fun.

The Miata was pretty basic (other than the retractable hardtop). That's not actually a bad thing as it makes it a great drivers car.

The Mini is just the opposite of basic. It is absolutely loaded. Infrared wiper sensors, voice recognition, auto sensing Xenon lights, Sports Mode, Traction Control, Stability Control, Bluetooth, iPhone (and Android) integration, Satnav... endless list of toys.

The Miata was incredibly fun to throw around and the transmission was a joy. Short throw shifter... Lovely. You could hit a corner and with a quick downshift be through it and gone.

The handling on the Mini is pretty damn good too, but I don't think you get quite the same seat-of-the-pants feel from it. Or maybe i just didn't try hard enough yet... I'm still finding my way around it.
The trans feels great, but the shifter throw is a little long compared to the MX-5.

I'm not sure how the actual ride compares yet, both are very firmly sprung but the Mini has run-flats on it right now, which feel awful. i will know more soon when I get them off of the car.

Mrs. N has a Cooper, and that handles/corners much like the MX did (great), though hers is an auto.

Power-wise... It's not even close. The Mini absolutely leaves the MX for dead. The one I purchased is the John Cooper Works edition and it absolutely flies.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the size of the two cars is very similar. Except mine has a fat ass fuller figure.

It CAN carry a dog if needed, so that is handy. The 2 piece parcel shelf comes out, leaving a gap behind the bulkhead (behind the seats) that is about 2 1/2 feet wide and then down into the trunk area, so room for a couple of fuzzy heads to poke out. You wouldn't want to take them on a day trip, but fine for going to the park / vets / Dairy Queen.

[Edit] Spoiler deploys at 50mph, and closes down at 35mph, so most time is spent going from 51 to 34 and back up whilst looking in the rearview mirror. Oh, and rear visibility == zero.

Last edited by Nutek; Oct 9th 2013 at 6:32 am.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:28 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Oye....we all buy what we like. Everyone has different taste. But we all get a few jokes from those whose taste differs. You like it, and that is what counts. Be proud and post all the info that you want about it.
Exactly! I proudly own a Government Motors Car!
(Although it is back at the dealer right now getting its A/C fixed...)
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In the 45 years since I obtained my driver's license, my favorite car was the 1983 Peugeot 505 S -- it was gas powered and 5-speed manual transmission. It was sweet and I loved the car other than when it was necessary to buy new rubber and TRX tires were pricey and hard to find. One day though, the limited slip differential became no slip and I learned that a differential is REALLY necessary. Sold the car for $300 to guy who wanted the parts.

Right now my wife's BMW [now 10 years old] needs a "steering angle sensor." BMW considers the part so reliable that they do NOT stock them for our model in the United States. The new one is now on the way from Germany. Don't get me started on the price. [I have to keep reminding myself that the car IS reliable, but when it FU's, it FU's big.]

[BTW, mechanics call such sensors "yo yo's." The reason is obvious.]
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Exactly! I proudly own a Government Motors Car!
(Although it is back at the dealer right now getting its A/C fixed...)
Luckily for you at the moment, you don't need "the government" to fix your Government Motors Car.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2013 at 7:10 am.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:49 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice Nutek! Very nice indeed!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:49 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
One day though, the limited slip differential became no slip and I learned that a differential is REALLY necessary. Sold the car for $300 to guy who wanted the parts.
Maybe the "limited" part referred to the amount of time it was going to work.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:02 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to compare really...

It is a fun drive. I'm not sure it's the same fun as the Miata, but it is fun.

It CAN carry a dog if needed, so that is handy. The 2 piece parcel shelf comes out, leaving a gap behind the bulkhead (behind the seats) that is about 2 1/2 feet wide and then down into the trunk area, so room for a couple of fuzzy heads to poke out. You wouldn't want to take them on a day trip, but fine for going to the park / vets / Dairy Queen.

[
Great write-up -- it does sound like fun. The last Mini I drove was a 1964, so I'm a little out of date! I've been somewhat contemplating whether there might be some kind of a convertible version in my future, but I would have to go for one with more dog room. My Frontier has a similar small gap behind the seats, which I can get one dog in for a trip to the vet, but they have to enter from one side and exit from the other, no turning around!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:46 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up! I like head to head comparisons.

I'd have loved to drive an original mini. I might be able to drive a new one soon, my sis is thinking about one.

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:05 am

Great write-up -- it does sound like fun. The last Mini I drove was a 1964, so I'm a little out of date! I've been somewhat contemplating whether there might be some kind of a convertible version in my future, but I would have to go for one with more dog room. My Frontier has a similar small gap behind the seats, which I can get one dog in for a trip to the vet, but they have to enter from one side and exit from the other, no turning around!
Forgot fuel consumption...

My MX-5 was getting around 28mpg, with 80% of that being highway.

The new Mini is showing that I'm getting 26mpg driving the same route, so not a huge difference.

Mrs. N. gets mid-to-high 30s average, and as much as 42 highway in her Cooper.

Mini do a couple of soft tops, the Roadster, which I think is what you saw and also a convertible Cooper. The Roadster has crap for room behind the front seats, but the Cooper soft top is a full four seater, so that might give you the space you are looking for.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Great write up! I like head to head comparisons.

I'd have loved to drive an original mini. I might be able to drive a new one soon, my sis is thinking about one.

Pete
I've had a few over they years. I learnt to drive in an 850 Morris Mini. later had a 1000 and a 1275GT.

The 1000 had a Marina engine crammed into it on top of the mini trans.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

In a land of dull and dreary vehicles, I gotta say, that's awesome!!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:13 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot fuel consumption...

My MX-5 was getting around 28mpg, with 80% of that being highway.

The new Mini is showing that I'm getting 26mpg driving the same route, so not a huge difference.

Mrs. N. gets mid-to-high 30s average, and as much as 42 highway in her Cooper.

Mini do a couple of soft tops, the Roadster, which I think is what you saw and also a convertible Cooper. The Roadster has crap for room behind the front seats, but the Cooper soft top is a full four seater, so that might give you the space you are looking for.
Yes, I think it would have to be the full four-seater version. My Miata is still getting around 28/29 mpg at 24 years of age, none of it highway (poor soul thinks I've forgotten about the fifth gear . . . ).
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:20 am

Yes, I think it would have to be the full four-seater version.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:23 am
Deep in the woods of CT

That's it! I can just see two big woolly heads side by side in the back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.