Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:19 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Originally Posted by iant
We have been going to "Goa" for several years now and never had a bad meal. The couple who own and run the place are from the former Portuguese colony and the style of cooking, which is special to that area of India, is not like the typical Indian restaurant you find in the UK. Try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
IanT
Sounds good - whereabouts is it in Monte Gordo?
Sharon
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:27 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAG SIDHU
I know what you mean about the red sauce Sam! I find that they never make the food hot enough (spicy). If you like spinach the Chicken Saag is very good in the Taj.

Being Indian and living in Ayamonte for the last year I must admit we have missed our Indian restaurant meals. Although my wife is a very good cook, it is nice to have a restaurant meal, which is very different from our traditional Punjabi cooking.

I am not sure there are enough expats in Ayamonte to sustain an Indian restaurant all year round. We have toyed with a Tapas bar which serves Indian dishes as opposed to Spanish. So you wouldn't have a full menu, but maybe 5-10 different dishes every day. This might appeal a bit more to the Spanish, they can then try smaller portions. The Spanish don't seem to eat that much spicy food, but you would need to attract them to survive.

There is a new Indian opened in Lepe, which we have not tried yet but will give it a go soon. It is advertised in this months Oracle.
Please let me know when youve been to the one in Lepe. Thats if I dont get there first

Jag, everyone I speak to desperately wants an Indian in Ayamonte Get Pam in the kitchen and you will do a roaring trade
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

so..................whats going on here then?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
so..................whats going on here then?
Well hello again
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
Well hello again
I promise to be good in here.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
I will have to get her to keep her eye on you, when she lets you on the keyboard then
Sorry JDR. I have absolutely no control over him! He checks forum and posts replies whilst he's at work (during his lunch hour of course!) I just have a laugh at some of the comments later!

Pat
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
Yes lets have some more good news - my week has been s......

Throat infection, very old cat suddenly gone blind - detached retinas the vet says, last night the washing machine packed up half way through load number 3 (one of about 8 brought back from uni by daughter number 2 - recognise it folks?). This morning my faithful old watch packed up. To cap it all OH goes in this week for shoulder op - tennis shoulder packed up. So all round trauma and a deep sense of age......... Is someone out there trying to tell us something?

The op means 6 weeks in a sling for him so I will be driving when we visit CE in August - usually leave it all to him - I suppose it will help me to become more confident about driving abroad but cannot say I am looking forward to it.

So roll on good news ...............actually had a great curry last night - you get them in the North ............I am sure I would miss them if I was to live in Spain full time .............where I have seen Indian restaurants they have not been very good. Are there any in Ayamonte?
Hi Carol

So sorry to hear all your troubles and hope that the OH's op goes alright. can the cat have an op to re-attach retinas as I am sure they can do that for humans?

Only too familiar with the washing brought home from uni scenario. just typical that the washing machine would pack up when you need it most. our youngest brought home, amongst other things, half a dozen dresses, which I washed but refused to iron as they were delicate and I didn't want responsibility for any damage caused by iron. They are still hanging in the spare room doorway 3 weeks on waiting to greet the iron!!

Good luck with the driving in Spain. I too am not brave enough to give it a go. Did drive from our house to the clubhouse for lunch, once, and promptly turned right from our road onto left hand side of road. Fortunately nothing was coming the other way!! Steve despairs!!

Pat
Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I promise to be good in here.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Hi Carol

So sorry to hear all your troubles and hope that the OH's op goes alright. can the cat have an op to re-attach retinas as I am sure they can do that for humans?

Only too familiar with the washing brought home from uni scenario. just typical that the washing machine would pack up when you need it most. our youngest brought home, amongst other things, half a dozen dresses, which I washed but refused to iron as they were delicate and I didn't want responsibility for any damage caused by iron. They are still hanging in the spare room doorway 3 weeks on waiting to greet the iron!!

Good luck with the driving in Spain. I too am not brave enough to give it a go. Did drive from our house to the clubhouse for lunch, once, and promptly turned right from our road onto left hand side of road. Fortunately nothing was coming the other way!! Steve despairs!!

Pat
No Pat apparently they cannot reattach retinas in cats - or at least the vet was not suggesting it - but the cat is now on blood pressure tablets - seems that may have had something to do with it. At nearly 20 she does not go far so we are hoping she will cope.

Very small car hired for the summer trip so hoping will manage. I suspect it will be OK getting from Faro to CE for week 1 as I feel fairly confident of the journey - done it so often and I don't suppose we will do that much that week - I reckon it is going to be boiling hot so will not want to do much - looking forward to finding the clubhouse - second week to be spent right along the western Algarve with friends - little shaky about that !?!

Good to hear all the views about an Indian restaurant in Ayamonte. I am always amazed at how many Chinese restaurants there are in most Spanish or Portuguese towns and they seem to survive. There is even a very smart Thai place in Vilamoura. There must be scope for a quality Indian in Ayamonte especially if it does take away!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola!

Carol E, that was indeed a week to say adios to! But, you're still here, and it's a new day and the start of a new week.
20 years of age is a ripe old age for a cat, and I'm sure your cat will adapt, albeit slowly and with your loving care, to her/his surroundings. They always do! (something to do with their whiskers, and innate sense of balance - something to do with their tails? Well, what do I know...)

Ah! A new idea: is that why certain older feline females of the human species develop whiskers?(This is not directed at anyone in particular, I hasten to add!) Perhaps it is not hormonal, but rather connected to raised BP? Must ask my vet, no, GP... Whichever way, I'll twist it and use it as an excuse not to drive... Does anyone follow my logic?

Returning to normality... I too love a curry, and would like to try the Goa place in Monte Gordo; sounds good - would I be right in thinking the style of cooking has more coconut milk and seafood on the menu?

Carol E and Jag, you both have the start of a new adventure! The Basque (north) like spicy dishes. Is there a Basque restaurant in Ayamonte?

Regards,
Carol
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tednsharon
Sounds good - whereabouts is it in Monte Gordo?
Sharon
As you come into the seafront area of Monte Gordo using the coastal route from Vilareal its on the right side of one of the side roads opposite the carpark. Just after the popular Dutch bar which faces the carpark.
iant
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAG SIDHU
I know what you mean about the red sauce Sam! I find that they never make the food hot enough (spicy). If you like spinach the Chicken Saag is very good in the Taj.

Being Indian and living in Ayamonte for the last year I must admit we have missed our Indian restaurant meals. Although my wife is a very good cook, it is nice to have a restaurant meal, which is very different from our traditional Punjabi cooking.

I am not sure there are enough expats in Ayamonte to sustain an Indian restaurant all year round. We have toyed with a Tapas bar which serves Indian dishes as opposed to Spanish. So you wouldn't have a full menu, but maybe 5-10 different dishes every day. This might appeal a bit more to the Spanish, they can then try smaller portions. The Spanish don't seem to eat that much spicy food, but you would need to attract them to survive.

There is a new Indian opened in Lepe, which we have not tried yet but will give it a go soon. It is advertised in this months Oracle.
JAG,

you underestimate the power of the ex pat presence. If you open an Indian restuarant in Ayamonte we will definitely become customers. The Taj Mahal in Monte Gordo is good but just that little bit further to go, or rather return from, particularly with the Portuguese zero tolerance laws!

Go for it!

By the way the Chinese in Lepe, the one on the way to Islaantilla, is very good.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nicesunshine sue is just really nice

I agree with other expats, although we love tapas and seafood an Indian restaurant in Ayamonte would be good too. I like spanish sausages but I also like to buy some from the English food shop, being given the choice is the main thing. There are lots of Spanish in Ayamonte particulary at the moment but when they return back to Seville/ Madrid, we expats will still be here.
Sue
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:11 pm
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iant
As you come into the seafront area of Monte Gordo using the coastal route from Vilareal its on the right side of one of the side roads opposite the carpark. Just after the popular Dutch bar which faces the carpark.
iant
Thanks Iant! May have to try that over the summer.

Jag - sounds like a fab idea - indian tapas ... lovely!

Sharon
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:19 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
I have been to two of them, the Taj Mahal and I cant remember the other one but I wasnt that impressed I always have a lamb madras but the ones at both restaurants have a red bland sauce :curse: I havent tried the one called Goa yet, do you know if its any good?
GOD NO!!!!!!!!! Avoid the Goa like the plague - you'll probably catch it their anyway. People I know who live there don't even touch it - as they know all the horror stories. When the Taj Mahal opened there was a universal sigh of relief as they could go fo a curry again. I cannot stress enough about avoiding the Goa. The owner is a very bitter man - he is constantly in the council trying to get the other restaurants shut down (they ignore him). He has to change his staff constantly as he's always falling out with them. As a result the chefs get their "revenge" in the kitchen. If you like your insides as they are, don't go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.