British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 3:43 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11616419)
I use my Apple TV and it shows whatever I am watching, on my iPad, on my tv screen. I think the technical term is "mirroring"

Thanks Ifi...

That makes sense, it gives me a good reason to buy an I Pad. lol I suppose I could always use my laptop with a HMDI cable hooked to the back of my Sony flatscreen...

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11616826)
Oh yes --- sorry Fish I forgot to answer that question for you, whatever Im watching on my computer I can watch on my 50 inch TV ----- I bought a real long HDMI cable and attached one end to my TV and the other end to the computer so its real easy, and as its a direct hook up ---- not wireless, you always get a super clear picture of whatever movie or TV program your watching, with the HDMI cable I just ran it all along the wall from TV to computer and shoved it neatly under the carpet so you cant see the cable, cause the TV is on one side of room and computer on the other, hope this helps and gives you a few good ideas,

Thanks Rod you are making sense pal, My computer is miles form my telly but the old laptop would work for that.

I never jump into these things but I will consider this VPN option, Id love to cut out my cable company if I could, they just keep upping the price and they are constanstly trying to sell me more channels.

Now I have to convince the Mrs... lol

Celticspirit Apr 12th 2015 5:13 pm

So much better thanks.

fulwood Apr 12th 2015 5:27 pm

fish n chips.. i watch telly on my computer quite a bit.. I gave up cable 2 years ago - best decision I made in long time. can't stand commercials plus total rubbish programs on US channels. I have roku box (mine not leased), wifi which I need anyway for my job. I only have Netflix so pay only around $8 per month and i watch primarily british tv programs. I also have a Mohu Leaf antenna which gives me about 30 local stations which don't care about at all. Make the change! You won't regret and what Jasper 123 does as well is a great idea.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 11617030)
fish n chips.. i watch telly on my computer quite a bit.. I gave up cable 2 years ago - best decision I made in long time. can't stand commercials plus total rubbish programs on US channels. I have roku box (mine not leased), wifi which I need anyway for my job. I only have Netflix so pay only around $8 per month and i watch primarily british tv programs. I also have a Mohu Leaf antenna which gives me about 30 local stations which don't care about at all. Make the change! You won't regret and what Jasper 123 does as well is a great idea.

Thanks Fulwood, I know you are really into this.

Your comments about American TV are so true, people probably forget but originally the advertising was put in place to pay for the shows, now we have to pay a cable or dish company as well, they are just a middle man.

Does the Mohu Leaf give a good reception?.

We have Netflix and Apple TV box much like your Roku.

Thanks for your input...

fulwood Apr 12th 2015 8:10 pm

Yes it does.. It's paper thin as well.Like A4 piece of white paper. If you go to antenna web .org plu in your address and will you know what antennas work and kind of reception. That is what i did before purchased Mohu. As an aside. I did free trial of Sling TV for ONE DAY! I could have had free trial for 7 days but the darned commercials drove me nuts.. anyway..

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 11617110)
Yes it does.. It's paper thin as well.Like A4 piece of white paper. If you go to antenna web .org plu in your address and will you know what antennas work and kind of reception. That is what i did before purchased Mohu. As an aside. I did free trial of Sling TV for ONE DAY! I could have had free trial for 7 days but the darned commercials drove me nuts.. anyway..

Thanks a bunch for that info, as I said before Ive got to convince my wife, she loves the British shows weve been watching so that helps.

We originally signed up for an extra tier to get BBC America, today its pretty boring with hour after hour of the same shows, we used to get comedies and shows like Jonathan Creek, today its Star trek etc, I have no interest in sci fi, I think PBS has a far superior selection of British shows.

The commercials seem to come up more and more on you tube, I think Id sooner pay a small montly fee say $5 for that than have to wait them out.

We pay for commercials through added cost to the buy products so it me its a vicious circle.

jasper123 Apr 12th 2015 10:30 pm

When I was still living in the States I had cable for years and years, when I was making good money before the crash in 2008 I paid around $100 per month for my subscription, I had all the premium channels and all the rest, and even with all those hundreds of channels I still knew that cable in US was a total rip off!!!
when I changed my package down to just basic cable it was then I think $35 per month, so I got all the local channels and some others, and even then I thought what a waste of money,
Since I have been back home 4 & half years now I really enjoy watching the TV in UK theres always something good to watch, so much quality TV, and when you buy a TV over here all TV'S are made with all the freeview channels built in, its the law!!! I was amazed when I found that out, and theres around 20 of them and all totally free, and thats on top of all the regular channels, can you see that happening in the States!!! the only thing you really have to pay for is the yearly TV licence, and that money goes to the BBC to operate all there channels commercial free, and all there BBC commercial free radio stations, whats there not to like :thumbsup: I love it!!! and when you get past 75 you dont have to pay for a TV licence ever again, or if there is someone in the house who is over 75 :sneaky:
And the reception is great!!!! as good or better then my cable picture was in the states, and all we have is an antenna on the roof, and all the BBC and ITV channels come in HD at no charge, fantastic clarity in the picture,

Celticspirit Apr 13th 2015 12:41 am

Rodney, when I get back again to the UK, will you please help me get it sorted as I really don't understand most of it? You are are 4.5 years ahead of me settling down forever in the UK and you have done so well.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 13th 2015 3:06 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11617204)
When I was still living in the States I had cable for years and years, when I was making good money before the crash in 2008 I paid around $100 per month for my subscription, I had all the premium channels and all the rest, and even with all those hundreds of channels I still knew that cable in US was a total rip off!!!
when I changed my package down to just basic cable it was then I think $35 per month, so I got all the local channels and some others, and even then I thought what a waste of money,
Since I have been back home 4 & half years now I really enjoy watching the TV in UK theres always something good to watch, so much quality TV, and when you buy a TV over here all TV'S are made with all the freeview channels built in, its the law!!! I was amazed when I found that out, and theres around 20 of them and all totally free, and thats on top of all the regular channels, can you see that happening in the States!!! the only thing you really have to pay for is the yearly TV licence, and that money goes to the BBC to operate all there channels commercial free, and all there BBC commercial free radio stations, whats there not to like :thumbsup: I love it!!! and when you get past 75 you dont have to pay for a TV licence ever again, or if there is someone in the house who is over 75 :sneaky:
And the reception is great!!!! as good or better then my cable picture was in the states, and all we have is an antenna on the roof, and all the BBC and ITV channels come in HD at no charge, fantastic clarity in the picture,

Rodney.

We had a few premium channels and our cable bill was almost $120 just 4 years ago, we used to get all that for around $70 when we signed up, of course the good deals went away when our local cable company was bought out by a national outfit...

I deleted some tiers and got down to the $65 range, plus we signed up for Netflix, since then the cable company has changed to HD introducing cable boxes that we have to rent from them in order to watch TV, slowly the price is going back up.

I see the $100 a month charge as a lot of money, when you realise that its $12.000 over a ten year span it really makes you think, We don't go out to movies much so it is our main source of entertainment, when you see the percentage of your income it seems expensive.

I doubt we could get basic cable for $35 a month. Id guess it would be at least $50, My wife loves TV so it cut back to basic channels might be tough for her, so I'm really not sure this will happen, if I can knock it back a little I will be saving thousands over the long term, most channels we have available we never watch, its just a certain few.

Some of my in laws have Freeview and are totally satisfied, most decent British shows are shown on the BBC, ITV and channel 4, Surely that would be enough for most people.

sallysimmons Apr 13th 2015 9:06 am

We have Freeview and it's great. Can't believe we get all those channels and never have to pay!

jasper123 Apr 13th 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11617268)
Rodney, when I get back again to the UK, will you please help me get it sorted as I really don't understand most of it? You are are 4.5 years ahead of me settling down forever in the UK and you have done so well.

Of course ----- just pm me when you get back home for good!!!

In my opinion unless you are a money bags like Simon Cowell ------ there is no comparison to life in America versus life in the UK,
I dont need the sunshine ---- I had enough of that when I was living in Las Vegas all those years, and that goes for excitement also ---- had enough of that to last me a lifetime ;)
If your rich then you can live comfortably and happily anywhere in the world really ---- at any age,
But if your not ----- and especially if your not young anymore then the UK just has to be the best place on earth to live, we are all so darn lucky that we are British Citizens ----- dont you think? :thumbsup: lucky to have the choice!!!!

jasper123 Apr 13th 2015 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 11617498)
We have Freeview and it's great. Can't believe we get all those channels and never have to pay!

Yes Sally ---- thats what Im talking about!!!! we only have freeview too, and all the BBC channels and channel 4 and it really is fantastic to be able to get all these channels for free, and all you need is a good ariel on top of roof and you get a crystal clear picture, best quality, and lots of channels in HD and all for free ;)
I feel after a lifetime in America ----- Im being spoilt over here in UK ;)

Celticspirit Apr 14th 2015 1:29 am

Thanks so much Rodney. Yes we are incredibly lucky to have this choice :-)

fulwood Apr 14th 2015 5:41 am

Where is Dunrovin'? On one of his US university dos? Not seen anything from him in awhile. Hope all is okay.