British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Novocastrian Mar 6th 2015 1:18 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11584442)
Never heard of them :rofl: they sound like a bar of chocolate, my advice would be to stay clear of any travel site/company/airline that you have never heard of
----------- PERIOD! I have traveled from Las Vegas to England for many years and I have always flown Virgin Atlantic, very comfortable flights and service, and a free flowing booze service ----- which is appreciated much by a very nervous flyer like myself ----- the food is good too! and the flights from Vegas are direct ----- no stops.

Condor is a German charter company owned by Thomas Cook.

They do fly in and out of florida (Fort Lauderdale).

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 6th 2015 3:03 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cityboys1911 (Post 11584417)
ok this maybe the wrong thread but I have been looking at flights to fly back to the UK to get ready for moving back later in the year and I found some very cheap flights with Condor as anybody heard of them and if so was it Ok, any feedback would be helpful

I flew on Condor 30 years ago, they were part of Lufthansa.

Novocastrian Mar 6th 2015 3:19 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11584486)
I flew on Condor 30 years ago, they were part of Lufthansa.

Yes, 30 years ago they were, but not since 2002.

Condor - The Company | Our History

dunroving Mar 6th 2015 8:25 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Try the TripAdvisor forums - looks like there are a few threads on there about Condor Airlines.

Englishmum Mar 6th 2015 9:54 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cityboys1911 (Post 11584417)
ok this maybe the wrong thread but I have been looking at flights to fly back to the UK to get ready for moving back later in the year and I found some very cheap flights with Condor as anybody heard of them and if so was it Ok, any feedback would be helpful

Here are some passenger reviews from Skytrax (the airline quality review website):

Condor Airlines Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX

After reading those reviews I would definitely avoid this airline :ohmy:

trottytrue Mar 7th 2015 1:10 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by GeordieinJersey (Post 11583226)
I have just returned to the forum after a few years as we may finally be making plans to return to the UK. But what I wanted to ask is if anyone knows what happened to easterndawn or Peggy who posted on over 50s and 60s returning to uk board. She was an inspiration and I followed the ups and downs of her story with great interest.I have often thought of her and her wee dog and her husband waiting patiently in Canada. I know some of you on here will remember her .Is she OK did her husband ever get to Scotland? Thanks in advance

I was in touch with her for a while she was having a really hard time she was thinking of going back to Canada I think it was Prince Edward Island but she didnt have enough money then a relative died so not sure she didnt go back, she really wanted to make it work and did everything she could but like Jasper said she really had some bad employers. One problem was she took very little money with her so always found it very hard. I hope she found happiness. As we only knew her first name we couldnt really do any search on her. But she was one that stuck in your memory. Not forgetting Jasper.....Don..not heard from him for a while. and who knows were Windsong is........Me I am in the waiting room.....likely to be here for a good few years.....

islandwoman120 Mar 7th 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Trotty - how are you in the deep snow now? Can you post an update? Been thinking of you, especially when I look at my daffs and feel guilty that I have those and you don't. :(

cheers Mar 8th 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11584442)
very comfortable flights and service, and a free flowing booze service ----- which is appreciated much by a very nervous flyer like myself ----- the food is good too! and the flights from Vegas are direct ----- no stops.

Sounds like an Asian Airline;) Me I like an airline that stops a least once:lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

We changed the clocks today in the US. How about the UK, when do they change?

Are you having the good weather that was forecast for today?

Virgin use to be owned by Singapore Airlines to some degree but now is owned by Delta Airlines.

Cheers

dunroving Mar 8th 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11586203)
Sounds like an Asian Airline;) Me I like an airline that stops a least once:lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

We changed the clocks today in the US. How about the UK, when do they change?

Are you having the good weather that was forecast for today?

Virgin use to be owned by Singapore Airlines to some degree but now is owned by Delta Airlines.

Cheers

Clocks don't change for another 3 weeks yet (28/29 March)

trottytrue Mar 8th 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Islandwoman120....thankyou for asking I was going to post an update but between my husbands illness and the damage done by the snow I have been kept really busy. The snow on the roof caused an ice jam if you remember we had at one point over 5ft of snow on the roof:eek: it was in drifts and when it pushed against the flu on the roof the ice and snow melted and ran down into the bathroom and down the living room and dinning room walls all the way into the basement. I didn't catch it for a day and so we had a small lake in the laundry room and Moe's Art room. I had to lift the carpet and buy a dehumidifier to dry it all out.
The insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to see the damage I doubt they will offer much but it's worth a try.
If I never see snow again I will be quite happy. We still have snow banks on the road about 6ft high and at the bottom of the road about 30ft high. Around the house it's still 5ft deep. My garden won't appear till May but the snow is slowly disappearing.
I am looking at my garden catalogues and dreaming.;)

Jerseygirl Mar 8th 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11586252)
Clocks don't change for another 3 weeks yet (28/29 March)

Yup...the clocks change on the last weekend in March and last weekend in October in the UK. ;)

islandwoman120 Mar 8th 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11586263)
Islandwoman120....thankyou for asking I was going to post an update but between my husbands illness and the damage done by the snow I have been kept really busy. The snow on the roof caused an ice jam if you remember we had at one point over 5ft of snow on the roof:eek: it was in drifts and when it pushed against the flu on the roof the ice and snow melted and ran down into the bathroom and down the living room and dinning room walls all the way into the basement. I didn't catch it for a day and so we had a small lake in the laundry room and Moe's Art room. I had to lift the carpet and buy a dehumidifier to dry it all out.
The insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to see the damage I doubt they will offer much but it's worth a try.
If I never see snow again I will be quite happy. We still have snow banks on the road about 6ft high and at the bottom of the road about 30ft high. Around the house it's still 5ft deep. My garden won't appear till May but the snow is slowly disappearing.
I am looking at my garden catalogues and dreaming.;)

Oh dear, Trotty - what an awful story about the snow. I understand your desire to never see snow again! I feel like that too, after 7 months of Minnesota winters. And I guess I have gotten my wish, as Devon sees so little real winter - at least here by the sea. Up on the Moor there is a chance of snow from time to time, but nothing like you write about. :fingerscrossed:

jasper123 Mar 9th 2015 1:07 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11586203)
Sounds like an Asian Airline;) Me I like an airline that stops a least once:lol:



Virgin use to be owned by Singapore Airlines to some degree but now is owned by Delta Airlines.

Cheers

Well yep cheers your right to a point!! Branson did sale 49% of Virgin Atlantic for around £800 million years ago to Singapore airlines, later they sold that 49% on to Delta who still own that minority share, but Richard Branson still owns 51% he is a pretty smart cookie, in the companies of his that he still wants control over he makes sure he has the majority of shares, he has at least 400 established firms altogether around the world, but there are very few that he owns outright anymore, Virgin media and Virgin sky and virgin trains etc etc he sold big shares of them a long time ago, but still holds percentages of shares in everything, hes smart in the way that he dont put all his eggs in one basket, but he spreads it around hundreds of companies, so if ever a few went bust he still will always have a pretty big grin on his face on the way to the bank :D:D:D

trottytrue Mar 9th 2015 1:18 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Islandwoman120...the weather forecast is for warmer weather these next 10 days, so the snow will be slowly disappearing and just be a memory. Living in Minnesota you must have seen some really bad winters. I just can't wait to see if all my bulbs made it through the harsh winter.

jasper123 Mar 9th 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11586547)
Islandwoman120...the weather forecast is for warmer weather these next 10 days, so the snow will be slowly disappearing and just be a memory. Living in Minnesota you must have seen some really bad winters. I just can't wait to see if all my bulbs made it through the harsh winter.

trotty Im so glad that warmer weather is forecast for you, as you say all the snow will start to melt, ---- but dont that make for another problem when that vast amount of snow melts is the drainage there that good where you wont get floods? you certainly have gone through it this year havent you,


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:18 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.