British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jan 3rd 2016 8:11 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by michali (Post 11827058)
Happy birthday! 78? Wow! I thought I was the oldest on the board at 70!

I have to stay around to get that money from the US government by way of Social Security.

Cheers

Mallory Jan 3rd 2016 9:55 pm

:sneaky:

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11827068)
I have to stay around to get that money from the US government by way of Social Security.

Cheers

Happy birthday Cheers! Have a glass of Guinness, it will do you good! :starsmile:

Perth Jan 3rd 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11827053)
Today is my birthday and I'm celebrating becoming 78. Imagin that! I feel like I'm in my 50's

I am celebrating with several glasses of Martinellis Apple Cider which I love.

Cheers

Congratulations Cheers! :drinkingwine:

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 4th 2016 2:55 am

Today is my birthday and I'm celebrating becoming 78. Imagin that! I feel like I'm in my 50's

Cheers

Happy 78th...

I hope it was a good one.

Jerseygirl Jan 4th 2016 9:43 am

Cheers

Happy, happy birthday. :)

Celticspirit Jan 4th 2016 3:27 pm

Happy Birthday, Cheers� ����!

Celticspirit Jan 4th 2016 3:37 pm

Sorry, the question marks were a birthday cake when I sent :-(

Helen1964 Jan 4th 2016 3:46 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catchin

Celticspirit, how are you finding life back in Nor'n Ireland?
I'm from Belfast originally but haven't really considered it as somewhere to move back to because every time I'm there for a holiday, it's raining.
I do miss the people, though. And the gorgeous North Coast.
Have you found it easy to fit back in?

Celticspirit Jan 4th 2016 9:04 pm

Hello Helen, I've been back since September and after 43 years in Dallas, I'm not finding the transition particularly easy. I do have to say the people are very kind and helpful, especially my neighbors. My brother who lives just across the Botanic Gardend from me, has also been a super help. I haven't purchased a vehicle......yet. I am a little fearsome of driving with the narrow streets, bus lanes, roundabouts etc., My daughter and her husband, who moved from NYC to Stratford Upon Avon last July, came for two days at Christmas (busy jobs) I had a busy life in the USA as I was an AKC dog judge. Here I have been invited to judge one show in 2018. I toy with returning, but will give this a fair shot first.
The interminable rain doesn't help.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 4th 2016 9:25 pm

Happy Birthday Cheers, a bit late from me.

Helen1964 Jan 5th 2016 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11828058)
Hello Helen, I've been back since September and after 43 years in Dallas, I'm not finding the transition particularly easy. I do have to say the people are very kind and helpful, especially my neighbors. My brother who lives just across the Botanic Gardend from me, has also been a super help. I haven't purchased a vehicle......yet. I am a little fearsome of driving with the narrow streets, bus lanes, roundabouts etc., My daughter and her husband, who moved from NYC to Stratford Upon Avon last July, came for two days at Christmas (busy jobs) I had a busy life in the USA as I was an AKC dog judge. Here I have been invited to judge one show in 2018. I toy with returning, but will give this a fair shot first.
The interminable rain doesn't help.

My grandparents lived in Sandhurst Gardens and I went to Methodist College so I know the Botanic area very well.
I hope things begin to get easier for you soon and that you find your niche.

BEVS Jan 5th 2016 4:12 am

Cheers

Wonderful vintage cheers.

:cake: :drinkwine:

Eat , drink and have a happy birthday.

Celticspirit Jan 5th 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 11828320)
My grandparents lived in Sandhurst Gardens and I went to Methodist College so I know the Botanic area very well.
I hope things begin to get easier for you soon and that you find your niche.

My house is the last one on the corner of Colenso Parade. It's on a bluff overlooking Queens playing fields. Gorgeous uninterrupted views of the Lagan and right over to the Castlereagh Hills. Around the corner is Sandhurst Drive. I got my degree at Queens. Small world.

Helen1964 Jan 5th 2016 11:13 am

If you don't mind me asking, which aspects of moving back to Belfast have you found most difficult?

Apart from the weather, I don't think I could move back there because I associate it with the past - albeit a very happy one - and it would feel like moving backwards somehow.
I think I'd prefer to strike out somewhere completely new. And drier. Kent and Norfolk spring to mind but I have yet to investigate them properly.

Like yourself, though, I have a brother in Belfast and there would be distinct advantages to having him living up the road, should my DH ever shuffle off his mortal coil.

Helen1964 Jan 5th 2016 12:26 pm

OK, I've just read that last statement and it came out a lot more mercenary than I intended.
Dearest brother, if you're reading this, I would love to have you living up the road for reasons other than just the fact you know how to change a spark plug.