British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Aug 21st 2014 11:25 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11376916)
It's almost unique - apparently Republic of Ireland and New Zealand are also routinely unarmed. Norway carry guns in their cars...

An interesting (maybe concerning?) article I saw the other day about patrols in Inverness (of all places!) by armed police...

BBC News - The British police on armed routine patrol

Again arming the Scottish police, its the American influence IMO.
Put the police back on foot patrol no guns.
Don't call them police officers, again the American influence, and go back to calling them policeman even bobbies.
A lot has been brought out with the events in Ferguson, US and one is the way the police have been removed, over the years, from the people they are suppose to serve. IMO.
Cheers

islandwoman120 Aug 22nd 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11377555)
A lot has been brought out with the events in Ferguson, US and one is the way the police have been removed, over the years, from the people they are suppose to serve. IMO.
Cheers

I totally agree with you. What you refer to is Community policing. I found the same thing when I visited Cincinnati years ago - an area called Over the Rhine was filled with poor people, mainly black, but some white, lots of drug pushers and filthy streets - and few black policemen. It is also the area of the city filled with historic architecture. It seemed to be an area on the brink of chaos (I think this was 2001) and sure enough - later the same year it erupted in violence and had a curfew imposed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_riots_of_2001
I asked my (black) taxi driver about the situation when we drove through it on the way to the bus station, and remarked that it was wrongly policed as there were apparently no black policemen assigned to the area (if there are in fact any non-white police in the city) and that by putting white police in the area was asking for trouble. I get sick to my stomach at the fact that the race issue never seems to get resolved and get very saddened when I think of the many black friends I have in the US, Jamaica, and Europe who have similar experiences every time they leave their home. :(

Pollyana Aug 22nd 2014 10:25 am

Don't call them police officers, again the American influence, and go back to calling them policeman even bobbies.
Cheers

The term Police Officers came into use as it encompasses both sexes, policemen, AND policewomen.
Bobbies is merely a slang term, still in use at times, but not an official name.

spouse of scouse Aug 22nd 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11376203)
I have had to read this a few times, it is very profound! Huge eye opener and so true. That is basically my problem, I have a foot in Canada, the other foot in UK and an arm in Cape Town where I was born and my only family still live! So making a commitment somewhere is something I have to do! Not sure about all manner of unforeseen incidents coming our way, because in Canada they have been largely negative. Also I am part of a couple so there is always someone else involved!

Playing Devil's Advocate here - I wonder if our desire to choose one country to fully commit to is an intrinsic part of us, or if this is something that we somehow think we 'should' feel?

In the physical sense of choosing somewhere to live, it makes sense. But can we not live quite happily in one country, while remaining fully committed at heart to another?

Just a little Friday night musing. Or talking through my arse :lol:

Tirytory Aug 22nd 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11377998)
Playing Devil's Advocate here - I wonder if our desire to choose one country to fully commit to is an intrinsic part of us, or if this is something that we somehow think we 'should' feel?

In the physical sense of choosing somewhere to live, it makes sense. But can we not live quite happily in one country, while remaining fully committed at heart to another?

Just a little Friday night musing. Or talking through my arse :lol:

From what I feel, I don't think you can. I can objectively look at the place we live now and see why it's better, or at least different. We can have a bigger house here, my husband will earn more money, we like snow and my husband would love a boat and indeed can afford one here .... BUT I just can't stay here, I can feel my mental health spiralling downwards here (that's not me). I'm crying all the time. I feel like I've ruined my life- for various career reasons, not sure whether I'll get the kids back into the same school and for what my son has missed, financially worse off going home. I wake up every morning wishing I could turn the clock back to 18 months ago. Relationships are getting strained here/ the kids aren't getting the best of me.

Thing is, I knew what I was giving up and was reluctant to do it, but I did because "we'll regret it if we don't" .... Well I regret doing it....so much. I'm so unhappy. I need a shake and can't seem to give myself one:(

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 22nd 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11378025)
From what I feel, I don't think you can. I can objectively look at the place we live now and see why it's better, or at least different. We can have a bigger house here, my husband will earn more money, we like snow and my husband would love a boat and indeed can afford one here .... BUT I just can't stay here, I can feel my mental health spiralling downwards here (that's not me). I'm crying all the time. I feel like I've ruined my life- for various career reasons, not sure whether I'll get the kids back into the same school and for what my son has missed, financially worse off going home. I wake up every morning wishing I could turn the clock back to 18 months ago. Relationships are getting strained here/ the kids aren't getting the best of me.

Thing is, I knew what I was giving up and was reluctant to do it, but I did because "we'll regret it if we don't" .... Well I regret doing it....so much. I'm so unhappy. I need a shake and can't seem to give myself one:(

My heart goes out to you, I totally understand where you are coming from, dont ever buy into that line about things will get better over time, I still want to go home after 37 years, Always trust your gut feeling.

I sure hope you post elsewhere on this forum so as to appeal to the ones that are in the same frame of mind as you were, be sincere and make people think, you could help someone else make a good decesion.

This issue frustrates me so much, just know you have friends here that understand and want to help.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 22nd 2014 3:42 pm

Cheers

Ferguson what a mess, there are so many places like Ferguson just waiting in the wings, all it takes is another trigger happy cop or individual.

I still get annoyed at the way black people are treated in this country, I just hate it.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 22nd 2014 3:46 pm

More money and a boat, they are just things, People and feelings should always come first, the money comes and goes, its gives a false sense of security at least in this country, plus every Tom, Dick and Harry is trying to pry it outta your hands by selling you something else you really dont need, I find the more "things you own' the more problems you have, more to repair and protect with a warranty. Huhhhh

Perth Aug 22nd 2014 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11378161)
Ferguson what a mess, there are so many places like Ferguson just waiting in the wings, all it takes is another trigger happy cop or individual.

I still get annoyed at the way black people are treated in this country, I just hate it.

:goodpost:

Perth Aug 22nd 2014 5:05 pm

Been gone a while. Had a kidney stone :eek:

First, congratulations John. I think I may follow in your footsteps if the OH precedes me to the grave (he is a USC).

Bandrui, wonderful update about your trip home. Keeping fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan for you.

Feelbritish, heading over to the other thread you mentioned. We will also be here at least 2 more years :(

Rodney, congrats on your permit. I think it's a wonderful idea to take your mum out for a spin. Maybe you could rent an automatic for the day?

Jerseygirl Aug 22nd 2014 6:50 pm

I could have written that post. It took me a good 10/12 years to put my UK life behind me...although I never settled in the US. Our daughter was 11 when we moved to the US and I know she regrets it...even though she is now happily married. She misses not growing up with her cousins and friends...the fact that they still get together and she can't.

We intended to move back after 1 year...then it became 2...then we just sort of got sucked into things and before we knew it 18 years had gone by.

bandrui Aug 22nd 2014 8:57 pm

:goodpost: (though I am sorry for how you feel). I can really identify with this.

Ultimately our decision to return to the UK is a subjective one, and IMHO should be so. How many of us move back because of the economy or the politics? Not too many I suspect.

Why do we become unhappy when we move somewhere based on economic reasons?

Economic decisions, I believe, provide short-lived wellbeing but being where our heart wants us to be provides us with a greater chance for happiness.

I quit a high-paying job in the city because it just was not me and the money was not enough to compensate for the unhappiness. When (notice I didn't say 'If' ;) ) I move back to the UK, it is totally a heart decision. As per Cardienscarf's quote, I do believe that when we are moving in the right direction for us, providence moves to help us... there is a flow to things.

Tirytory Aug 22nd 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks you for all your kind words. I honestly sat and wept while writing that this morning and constantly feel on the verge of tears...I'm bored of myself tbh:o

I worry that I'm too emotional about it all, that maybe it's clouding all reason. Or maybe people are just born to be in one place, I think if I am, maybe my daughter is too. At 3/12 she has remained constant to the idea of going home, from day one to now she is adamant that Swansea is her home and she wants to go back to her friends...

I think my husband wonders why I'm on my ipad so much, I don't think he realises (at work everyday) how lonely I am, and how I crave some adult conversation. I'm scared that this cloud of lowness now won't automatically be cured by returning home, that it will be shrowded by financial worries or worries about my eldest settling/missed school etc. But I'm hopeful that when the plane lands I will just feel this great relief... I can't wait for the moment to greet all my loved ones again... God I think I'm going to cry again..;)

bandrui Aug 22nd 2014 10:43 pm

Remember how I said that I got lost in my rental car in downtown Oxford? Well, I just received a ticket forwarded from the car rental company for driving in a bus lane! :lol:

It was attached to a debit to my credit card for ƒ36 so I thought, ah good they paid it for me but no, this was just their administration fee :eek:.

So I contacted City of Oxford to see how to pay this, hoping to still get the 50% discount though the time had lapsed, and this is what they emailed me, along with all the details and photos from the camera:

"In this instance Europcar Group UK Ltd supplied details to the council of who hired the vehicle at the time of the contravention. Based on this information Oxfordshire County Council closed the notice as it does not have the resources to enforce a PCN issued to someone living outside of the British Isles. Therefore no payment is required against the above PCN. " :thumbsup:

Only in England would they add: "I apologise if this is not the outcome you were hoping for but I do hope it does not deter you from visiting Oxford again." :lol:

feelbritish Aug 22nd 2014 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11378498)
Remember how I said that I got lost in my rental car in downtown Oxford? Well, I just received a ticket forwarded from the car rental company for driving in a bus lane! :lol:

It was attached to a debit to my credit card for ƒ36 so I thought, ah good they paid it for me but no, this was just their administration fee :eek:.

So I contacted City of Oxford to see how to pay this, hoping to still get the 50% discount though the time had lapsed, and this is what they emailed me, along with all the details and photos from the camera:

"In this instance Europcar Group UK Ltd supplied details to the council of who hired the vehicle at the time of the contravention. Based on this information Oxfordshire County Council closed the notice as it does not have the resources to enforce a PCN issued to someone living outside of the British Isles. Therefore no payment is required against the above PCN. " :thumbsup:

Only in England would they add: "I apologise if this is not the outcome you were hoping for but I do hope it does not deter you from visiting Oxford again." :lol:

:eek: A lot of money for administration!