British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Perth Mar 29th 2015 12:56 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11605665)
If anybody is interested in seeing a 40's something English family with teenage kids being transported back to the 1950's when rationing was still around, no washing machine, no TV, no mod cons period, and very little food available to feed your family, try watching a new documentary series made in 4 parts on BBC2 TV
each episode covers an entire decade, starting with the 50's then 60's, 70's and ending with the 80's we are on the 60's now, I recommend it to anyone who would like to go back to remember how life in the UK used to be like!!! they called them the good old days :unsure:
The Program is called ------ Back in time for dinner!!!

Thanks for the recommendation, Rodney! FYI, there is a thread that discusses British TV in the forum - if you'd like to join in :) Here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...ograms-792768/

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 9th 2015 6:32 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11605696)
Thanks for the recommendation, Rodney! FYI, there is a thread that discusses British TV in the forum - if you'd like to join in :) Here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...ograms-792768/

Thanks Perth.

I took a look at that thread and got a few great suggestions from just a posters, I use You Tube and one great programme leads to many others.

This week and last I've watched Ordinary Lies, Escape to the Country, Great Canal Journeys, and Back in Time for Dinner, all were good shows, next up is Homes by the Sea and Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages.

Thankyou so much.

jasper123 Apr 10th 2015 2:26 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11614363)
Thanks Perth.

I took a look at that thread and got a few great suggestions from just a posters, I use You Tube and one great programme leads to many others.

This week and last I've watched Ordinary Lies, Escape to the Country, Great Canal Journeys, and Back in Time for Dinner, all were good shows, next up is Homes by the Sea and Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages.

Thankyou so much.

Hi Fish,
Well for someone who lives in the States you are not doing too bad are you?
thats a nice array of British TV programs, question do you watch the three main Brit soaps regularly? Eastenders, Emerdale, and Coronation street, if so how do you get them? and how far back are the episodes? do you use a VPN or just rely on U-tube,
I have Hola vpn on my system, its free and very reliable, I can watch any American show from whatever channel I like, and if I'm watching a sit com or say a CBS news program they are pretty well up to date ---- like a day behind most of time, Im sure you can install the free download of Hola if you live in other countries including North America, and that way you should be able to watch any British program as they come ----- and in HD too most of time,

mikelincs Apr 10th 2015 3:45 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
For all those in the UK, and the rest of the world for that matter, now test yourself against the 'brains' of BE, try this daily quiz, set up and run by BE members.

BE trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

Different topic every day, all you need to do is to create a FREE funtrivia account and then log in to play the game every day, it's totally free..

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 11th 2015 6:18 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11615622)
Hi Fish,
Well for someone who lives in the States you are not doing too bad are you?
thats a nice array of British TV programs, question do you watch the three main Brit soaps regularly? Eastenders, Emerdale, and Coronation street, if so how do you get them? and how far back are the episodes? do you use a VPN or just rely on U-tube,
I have Hola vpn on my system, its free and very reliable, I can watch any American show from whatever channel I like, and if I'm watching a sit com or say a CBS news program they are pretty well up to date ---- like a day behind most of time, Im sure you can install the free download of Hola if you live in other countries including North America, and that way you should be able to watch any British program as they come ----- and in HD too most of time,

Hello Rod...

I'm not watching Coro, Emmerdale or Eastenders, Im not an Eastenders fan but loved Coro and Emmerdale when I lived in the UK... BBC America used to show a full week of Eastenders on a Saturday morning but it got pulled the same year I found it...

I'm using You Tube to get the other shows I mentioned.

I dont use a VPN, In fact I have no clue what is involved to use a VPN, are people that use VPNs able to watch programmes on their home TV or is it just for computers.

I may go the VPN route at some point as I'm so tired of American TV, the shows are repeated 3-4 times a night and the advertising drives me nuts, its all over you tube too, The cost of TV here is far too expensive, I may just get basic TV service or a indoor antenna and use Netflix and a VPN down the road....

I see Apple may offer a TV service in the near future, Im not an apple fan as such but that may sway me... I do like my Apple TV box and Netflix...

jasper123 Apr 11th 2015 11:00 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11616200)
Hello Rod...

I'm not watching Coro, Emmerdale or Eastenders, Im not an Eastenders fan but loved Coro and Emmerdale when I lived in the UK... BBC America used to show a full week of Eastenders on a Saturday morning but it got pulled the same year I found it...

I'm using You Tube to get the other shows I mentioned.

I dont use a VPN, In fact I have no clue what is involved to use a VPN, are people that use VPNs able to watch programmes on their home TV or is it just for computers.

I may go the VPN route at some point as I'm so tired of American TV, the shows are repeated 3-4 times a night and the advertising drives me nuts, its all over you tube too, The cost of TV here is far too expensive, I may just get basic TV service or a indoor antenna and use Netflix and a VPN down the road....

I see Apple may offer a TV service in the near future, Im not an apple fan as such but that may sway me... I do like my Apple TV box and Netflix...

Hi fish,
I love using a VPN there are lots of companies that charge around $5 a month for there subscription service, hide my ass is one, but the one that I have is Hola, its free and even better then the vpn's you pay for, the way it works is so simple, for example say you wanted to watch Corrie every night in America that is just one episode behind the British, once you have downloaded the free hola vpn app on your system, you just google BBC I-player and get into there site ---- immediately Hola vpn will take over and you are in like Flynn, you just type into Hola the UK being the country that you want to watch content from, its really easy, and you can watch whatever the Brits are watching without waiting!!! try it and enjoy, its perfectly legal, millions of people world wide use a VPN service regularly.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 11th 2015 3:38 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11616288)
Hi fish,
I love using a VPN there are lots of companies that charge around $5 a month for there subscription service, hide my ass is one, but the one that I have is Hola, its free and even better then the vpn's you pay for, the way it works is so simple, for example say you wanted to watch Corrie every night in America that is just one episode behind the British, once you have downloaded the free hola vpn app on your system, you just google BBC I-player and get into there site ---- immediately Hola vpn will take over and you are in like Flynn, you just type into Hola the UK being the country that you want to watch content from, its really easy, and you can watch whatever the Brits are watching without waiting!!! try it and enjoy, its perfectly legal, millions of people world wide use a VPN service regularly.

Thanks for the info Rodney, I will consider it.

I suppose Im not sure I want to look at a computer screen all the time so I would have to figure out how to get these shows on to my living room TV.

lf1 Apr 11th 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11616384)
Thanks for the info Rodney, I will consider it.

I suppose Im not sure I want to look at a computer screen all the time so I would have to figure out how to get these shows on to my living room TV.


I use my Apple TV and it shows whatever I am watching, on my iPad, on my tv screen. I think the technical term is "mirroring"

sallysimmons Apr 11th 2015 6:47 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11597051)
Nice to see Sallysimmons posting again after a long time.:thumbsup:

Hi Cheers and everyone else too!

Spring is sprung here in Yorkshire - the daffs are out, the trees are budding, and the fields are filled with tiny little lambs. It's been quite a cold, windy winter up here in the hills, so I'm really enjoying the sunshine and warm weather we've been having.

I saw the discussion on British TV shows - if you can find it, I recommend Gogglebox. It's a reality TV show about regular families watching TV. Sounds rubbish I know, but not only is it hilarious, but those who are homesick will get to enjoy British humour and have a good old snoop into some British homes. Here's a taster.

Celticspirit Apr 12th 2015 6:57 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I was addicted to Gogglebox in Belfast and can't wait to see it again......it's hilarious!!!!
Yes, I'm back.....for now. I posted somewhere else about my accidents while there. If Sally Redux reads this, maybe she can post it over here. Last year was one I hope I never repeat.
However, the longer I stayed, the more I grew to love it. Thank God my dogs travelled in both directions safe and sound. So happy to see all my expat friends still on here xx

Celticspirit Apr 12th 2015 7:31 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Rovers Return......how to register with the NHS after 30 years away. This is where you will see a small part of what happened to me last year.

jasper123 Apr 12th 2015 10:53 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11616384)
Thanks for the info Rodney, I will consider it.

I suppose Im not sure I want to look at a computer screen all the time so I would have to figure out how to get these shows on to my living room TV.

Oh yes --- sorry Fish I forgot to answer that question for you, whatever Im watching on my computer I can watch on my 50 inch TV ----- I bought a real long HDMI cable and attached one end to my TV and the other end to the computer so its real easy, and as its a direct hook up ---- not wireless, you always get a super clear picture of whatever movie or TV program your watching, with the HDMI cable I just ran it all along the wall from TV to computer and shoved it neatly under the carpet so you cant see the cable, cause the TV is on one side of room and computer on the other, hope this helps and gives you a few good ideas,

Jerseygirl Apr 12th 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11616747)
I was addicted to Gogglebox in Belfast and can't wait to see it again......it's hilarious!!!!
Yes, I'm back.....for now. I posted somewhere else about my accidents while there. If Sally Redux reads this, maybe she can post it over here. Last year was one I hope I never repeat.
However, the longer I stayed, the more I grew to love it. Thank God my dogs travelled in both directions safe and sound. So happy to see all my expat friends still on here xx


Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11616757)
Rovers Return......how to register with the NHS after 30 years away. This is where you will see a small part of what happened to me last year.

Post #15. :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...s-away-855635/

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 11616471)
Hi Cheers and everyone else too!

Spring is sprung here in Yorkshire - the daffs are out, the trees are budding, and the fields are filled with tiny little lambs. It's been quite a cold, windy winter up here in the hills, so I'm really enjoying the sunshine and warm weather we've been having.

I saw the discussion on British TV shows - if you can find it, I recommend Gogglebox. It's a reality TV show about regular families watching TV. Sounds rubbish I know, but not only is it hilarious, but those who are homesick will get to enjoy British humour and have a good old snoop into some British homes. Here's a taster.
Nigella on Gogglebox - YouTube

Hello Sally, good to see you.

Thanks for the Gogglebox tip, I recognise the voice of Craig Cash from The Royale family, I will give it a whirl...

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 12th 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 11616757)
Rovers Return......how to register with the NHS after 30 years away. This is where you will see a small part of what happened to me last year.

O.M.G. what a rough start to a return, I hope you are doing much better these days.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:08 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.