British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Feb 5th 2015 3:34 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

What we said---

BBC News - Expats panic-buy British chocolate in US after Hershey row

lf1 Feb 5th 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11556786)
I will boycott Hershey as much as possible.

To think people love hersheys kisses is a joke, tried them once Never again.

If anyone wants to see a good movie could I suggest "The Imitation Game", I enjoyed it.

That's a bit unfair, if one is partial to eating wax then Hershey's Kisses are a very good substitute.:lol:

'The Imitation Game' is on my list too. I have heard very good things about it. I am also keen to see 'The Theory of Everything'.

Englishmum Feb 5th 2015 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11556952)

'The Imitation Game' is on my list too. I have heard very good things about it. I am also keen to see 'The Theory of Everything'.

I've seen both films - both were very enjoyable but out of the two I thought that 'The Imitation Game' was the best, although this may be partly due to the fact that I didn't know anything about Alan Turing, on whom the film was based and found it quite gripping and became more emotional as events unfolded.

'The Theory of Everything' is about a period of Professor Stephen Hawking's life, but I'd read that as it was from the point of view from his first wife, it was biased in her favour and I think it coloured my perception somewhat and it seemed a bit dull in some scenes.

I said to my husband that Benedict Cumberbatch would be a worthy Oscar winner for his role in 'The Imitation Game' and I understand that he and actor Eddie Redmayne, who played Stephen Hawking have been nominated in the Best Actor category.

Synopsis, reviews and trailers in the links below:

The Imitation Game - Rotten Tomatoes

The Theory of Everything - Rotten Tomatoes

fulwood Feb 5th 2015 7:44 pm

Netflix had a documentary on Stephen Hawking's life and narrated by Stephen Hawking. Netflix also had a British made film I made on life of Alan Turing. I had never heard of this brilliant man but thoroughly enjoyed. Enough for me so no need to spend money at cinema to see the new ones..

Amaike Feb 5th 2015 10:56 pm

Imitation Game is a must-see. I have also seen a documentary called "Codebreaker" which was about Alan Turing's life and was excellent.

In the Apple logo, the bite taken out of the apple is a tribute to Alan Turing (he took his life by eating a cyanide-laced apple) for being the father of modern computing.

Derrygal Feb 6th 2015 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Amaike (Post 11557240)
Imitation Game is a must-see. I have also seen a documentary called "Codebreaker" which was about Alan Turing's life and was excellent.

In the Apple logo, the bite taken out of the apple is a tribute to Alan Turing (he took his life by eating a cyanide-laced apple) for being the father of modern computing.

I didn't know that - thanks for sharing! Also I believe Apple's CEO (Tim Cook) is gay. Thanks goodness we live in much more enlightened times. It was so sad what happened to Alan Turing. I loved the movie - best I've seen in a long time.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 6th 2015 8:01 am

Thanks for that info, very interesting and so cool of apple to do that.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 6th 2015 8:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11556799)

Hershey are pathetic, Cadbury UK doesnt send much chocolate into this country in the big picture of things, it shows how greedy people like Hershey are.

As I said before I will take great pleasure in boycotting Hershey, No more American Cadburys Dairy Milk, Mini eggs, Creme Eggs or Kit Kats, and I wont be taking back a load of Reese's pieces as I always do for my inlaws.

There are plenty of other chocolate companies that will be happy to have my money, Mars and Nestles to name just two.

jasper123 Feb 6th 2015 11:16 am

On the subject of movies, well you know that well talked about movie ----------
(THE INTERVIEW) about the fanatical Korean leader, well its a new movie, I think only months old, and it has just been released in the Cinemas in the UK today Friday, ------- but what shocked me was last night I was searching my American version of Netflix here in the UK (via my VPN) and a movie that has just been added is ------ yep the interview!!!! so I watched it, mostly cause of the publicity it had, and that it pissed off Korea so much, well its quite a silly movie really, and not very good, but anyway Ive seen it now and I dont have to pay to see it at the cinema :sneaky:
Any way I was surprised that the movie got to netflix so fast, it looks like the movie went straight to DVD ----- almost!!!

Perth Feb 6th 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11556786)
I will boycott Hershey as much as possible.

To think people love hersheys kisses is a joke, tried them once Never again.

If anyone wants to see a good movie could I suggest "The Imitation Game", I enjoyed it.

Loved the movie. Boycotting Hersheys :thumbsup:

jasper123 Feb 6th 2015 11:22 am

Hi Amaike,
WOW that is so interesting about the Apple logo, I had no Idea, thanks for sharing, I have not seen the Imitation Game yet, but I have made a note of it and I will look on Netflix for it!!! and the code breaker documentary too!!!

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks for that. I was able to tell hubby something he didn't know...he was well impressed. :D

dunroving Feb 6th 2015 12:41 pm

I read an article on Turing recently that said the Apple logo thing is an urban myth (or might be). I prefer to think it is true as it would be a very fitting tribute.

[Ah, here you go - this isn't the one I read, but similar: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/06/opinion/apple-logo/]

Perth Feb 6th 2015 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11557672)
I read an article on Turing recently that said the Apple logo thing is an urban myth (or might be). I prefer to think it is true as it would be a very fitting tribute.

[Ah, here you go - this isn't the one I read, but similar: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/06/opinion/apple-logo/]

I had read this, and, alas, it is an urban myth. But a lovely and entirely plausible one <sigh>

Amaike Feb 7th 2015 3:51 am

Yes, I'm afraid I thought it was too good a story not to be an urban myth :(

Apple was founded in 1977 at which point Turing's war work was still top secret.

In any case it's a great film. There is another film called Enigma starring Kate Winslet, but it's more fictitious and doesn't contain Turing as a character.