British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Feb 19th 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11570558)
Where is everyone? Snowed in? rained out?

I'm here Rosie, but I agree this room of ours has been quite empty for a while now, but I suspect that now everyone knows who killed Lucy ---- people will be back on here to chat ----- I hope so anyway!!! cause I miss everyone.

trottytrue Feb 19th 2015 10:58 pm

Islandwoman120....well I for one am snowed in never seen so much snow 6ft around the house and drifts over 10ft, it's snowed most of today and more to come. I no sooner have cleared the driveway when it is covered again. We are fortunate that our English neighbour plows when it's a big storm, but so many people have ended up with broken blowers. We have had two blizzards.
The worst is the snow on the roof we have rakes we use to clear if off but when it's 5ft deep it's hard work. You take a drive and you see everyone with people clearing it off. They have truck loads of snow being removed from the beach area as much of the area is blocked off, I have no idea where they are taking it, they do have snow farms but they are getting full. They are not allowed to dump it in the ocean.
The outside garden tap froze and the water backed up into the basement that was a mess.

Rodney....I don't know who killed Lucy :lol:

I have been watching "Escape to the Country" I like to see the different areas they go to, I have yet to see anyone purchase one of the houses but it does allow you to see some places you would never think of moving to. It would be nice if they would look at lower prices homes....i watch it on YouTube.

NiHao Feb 20th 2015 12:01 am

Snow, snow and more snow here in CT too! So had enough of it and the leaking kitchen ceiling it has caused, or rather the ice dam has caused.

I'm afraid I tend to miss this thread because it is so overwhelming in length. I love catching up on everyone's news just wish it was broken down into lots of little thread so easier to follow.

trottytrue Feb 20th 2015 1:09 am

NiHao....We have Ice Dams never seen any so big and its hard to break them my daughters boyfriend is bringing some ice pucks over apparently you throw them close to the dams and they melt them. Next door have those electric trims installed during the summer so they dont have to contend with it. Just the snow. Once the dams build up its hard to get rid of them. Saturday we are suppose to get freezing rain that should be fun......

NiHao Feb 20th 2015 1:33 am

trottytrue, it's awful isn't it, we've never had such a bad ice dam in the 15 years we have been in this house.

I'm going to give those ice pucks a go, thanks for the tip!

Good luck with your ice dam and hopefully the weather will start to improve soon!

bandrui Feb 20th 2015 2:42 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11559120)
I can't find Foyles War on YouTube. Something about it not being available in the US because of copyright. Strange because I was able to get it previously.
I seem to remember reading somewhere about it being pulled.
I got to watch an old Doc Martin tonight. It was him inviting someone to dinner and they showed up tipsy. It was the one we're he and Louisa goes upstairs to check on the baby and their conversation is heard by the guests on the nursery speaker.

Set your VPN (e.g. HOLA) to Uk and it's still available.

bandrui Feb 20th 2015 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11561491)
I tried to watch this, it was blocked by copyright laws.

The good news is this show is cominmg to BBC America on Feb 19th, it will be great to see a celeb panel show like this again.

You need a VPN too Fish! I watch British TV shows every day. In fact I cancelled cable ages ago.

bandrui Feb 20th 2015 2:46 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11570558)
Where is everyone? Snowed in? rained out?

Enjoying the sunshine and spring-like weather ;)

Flying Enterprise Feb 20th 2015 2:51 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11570723)
You need a VPN too Fish! I watch British TV shows every day. In fact I cancelled cable ages ago.

Its the only way to go!! ;)

bandrui Feb 20th 2015 4:17 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...3513e2e52fdfaf

Not sure if this will work but worth a try.

islandwoman120 Feb 20th 2015 8:44 am

Originally Posted by NiHao (Post 11570641)
Snow, snow and more snow here in CT too! So had enough of it and the leaking kitchen ceiling it has caused, or rather the ice dam has caused.

I'm afraid I tend to miss this thread because it is so overwhelming in length. I love catching up on everyone's news just wish it was broken down into lots of little thread so easier to follow.

We do have the gardening thread separately to this one.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover.../#post11570865

islandwoman120 Feb 20th 2015 8:48 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11570606)
Islandwoman120....well I for one am snowed in never seen so much snow 6ft around the house and drifts over 10ft, it's snowed most of today and more to come. I no sooner have cleared the driveway when it is covered again. We are fortunate that our English neighbour plows when it's a big storm, but so many people have ended up with broken blowers. We have had two blizzards.
The worst is the snow on the roof we have rakes we use to clear if off but when it's 5ft deep it's hard work. You take a drive and you see everyone with people clearing it off. They have truck loads of snow being removed from the beach area as much of the area is blocked off, I have no idea where they are taking it, they do have snow farms but they are getting full. They are not allowed to dump it in the ocean.
The outside garden tap froze and the water backed up into the basement that was a mess.

I have been watching "Escape to the Country" I like to see the different areas they go to, I have yet to see anyone purchase one of the houses but it does allow you to see some places you would never think of moving to. It would be nice if they would look at lower prices homes....i watch it on YouTube.

I remember the first time I saw deep snow - in WI. Snow built up from the roofline to the road, with a dog sliding down it! The constant vigilance to prevent ice dams, and roofs caving in due to weight of snow. Winter was beautiful to look at, but hard to live with - ice storms (amazing on the trees) - snow plows, being snowed in once the plow passed on the street - especially when you have just dug your car out to get to work, then you had to start all over again! And in IL, in the Chicago suburbs, having to turn on the car engine 20 minutes before starting your trip - and engine block heaters and gas line anti freeze. I have it easy, real easy, now.

mikelincs Feb 20th 2015 9:42 am

Not had any sort of problem like that in the UK, however I will confess to having had a LAda car once, and in the instruction manual it did say in the very coldest weather (in Russia) you should jack the car up and remove the wheels and keep then hung on the wall, and when ready to go out, to put the lights on some 15 mins before trying to start the car so it warmed the battery up!!

jasper123 Feb 20th 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11570606)

WOW Avril I had no Idea it was as bad as that where you are, we did hear about the bad snow storms that hit the east coast of America but then that was a couple of weeks a go I think ---- and I have heard nothing since, POOR YOU!!! Im so glad Im not living there, but it does bring back memories of when I used to live in Lake Tahoe for three years, the winters were very much how you are describing now where you are, I lived in a two bedroom log cabin, I loved the open fireplace, theres never a shortage of wood to burn, I didn't have a garage, and I remember well many a morning digging away all the snow from not only the driveway but my car would be completely covered in snow (you couldn't see the car) and this would happen overnight, so it would take me a good hour of hard work, just me and a shovel :eek:

I had better not tell you who killed Lucy ----- as people get upset sometimes with spoilers!!!!
Not sure how long it takes to get the latest episodes of Eastenders when you are living in the U.S.

But for anyone who are living outside of the U.K. and want to get all British TV content then a VPN is a must, I have tried several VPN's that cost around $5 per month, but then I found Hola!!! and its free and always works perfectly for me, never any buffering, and I can watch any program from American TV on whatever channel I want, its a quick and easy sign up too, wherever you are in the world just google HOLA ----- or hola .com

curleytops Feb 20th 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11570910)
Not had any sort of problem like that in the UK, however I will confess to having had a LAda car once, and in the instruction manual it did say in the very coldest weather (in Russia) you should jack the car up and remove the wheels and keep then hung on the wall, and when ready to go out, to put the lights on some 15 mins before trying to start the car so it warmed the battery up!!

:lol: Extremely cold weather presents some unique problems for motorists with some often quirky solutions like those you've described. I remember back in my early driving days prior to the wide-spread use of radial tires oops I meant tyres, if things got really cold ie 35 or 40 below, your car tyres could go "square" as we put it and if you moved off too quickly after starting your car it felt like you were driving on four flats. You could generally avoid any bother by letting your car idle and warm up properly then taking things slow for the first few minutes. I have to say though the old hang the wheels on the wall trick is a new one on me!:lol: My dad once told me that if your car battery's a bit weak you can try turning the lights on momentarily before you try to start the car and this will indeed warm things up and hopefully this will be enough to turn the engine over. Engine block heaters were a must in the area where I lived in Canada but you'd go into warmer climes and if you happened to mention having to "plug in your car" some people would look at you like you were nuts. One co-worker of mine in Toronto was convinced I was winding her up. The one thing I've noticed a lot of people over here doing and it makes me absolutely cringe is clearing up a frosty windshield "express-style" by throwing a container of hot water on it - that would surely end in tears in Northwestern Ontario.