British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

morayeel Jan 25th 2015 2:58 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
my U.S hubby always thought he could "make it" here.. but he gave up!! Long story. he tried different ideas but they never worked out so he quit his Sams Club Job last year and now is job hunting.. Anyway...He had an interview for Best Buy but again a part time job with no benefits but since I have been married to him I have always provided for myself anyway. Being broke in the U.K is certainly no fun but at least I could get my blood work done.. which here is a struggle. I have graves disease and thyroid eye disease and should have blood work done but its been over a year n ow as I can't afford it.
I have parents in Dunoon Scotland and a sister in Elgin, a brother in Aberdeen. I am not close to my half brother but my sister welcomes me with open arms so I can stay with her until I find a bed sit. I have an add on gumtree and spare room . uk but a lot of people want YOUNG people and not people over 50!! to share with but my sis assures me I will find something. I know the more money I go with the better. I have been looking at fares and of course they are expensive.. so right now I have 4000 dollars saved and would like to save more. My car is about to break down. I put 400 into it last month in repairs and told myself that's it no more.. once it's gone it's gone.. My daughter has 2 kids by different fathers.. one she has u.k passport for as she has sole custody the other she is in and out of relationship with the father of the child.. she says she does not want to move back to U.K.. My hubby, loves me in his own way..not the way I would want to be loved but he does the best he can so we are not at loggerheads but he understands why I want to move back.. SO even tho its going to be hard and my heart will be hurt I feel for me its the right thingto do. I feel very selfish, but I have to provide for myself for a few more years and just can't afford it over here...

morayeel Jan 25th 2015 2:59 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Oh p.s My hubby would love to come to U.K but I cannot earn the 18,600 required ..

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2015 3:03 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11544444)
Oh p.s My hubby would love to come to U.K but I cannot earn the 18,600 required ..

OK...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you manage to work it out. :fingerscrossed:

morayeel Jan 25th 2015 3:35 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Regardless. I see not much of a future here in the U.S for me. I have applied for care credit for dentist and doc and been denied so not much else left for me except a pity party LOL

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2015 3:43 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11544453)
Regardless. I see not much of a future here in the U.S for me. I have applied for care credit for dentist and doc and been denied so not much else left for me except a pity party LOL

That sucks...I'm sorry.:(

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 25th 2015 4:14 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11544443)
my U.S hubby always thought he could "make it" here.. but he gave up!! Long story. he tried different ideas but they never worked out so he quit his Sams Club Job last year and now is job hunting.. Anyway...He had an interview for Best Buy but again a part time job with no benefits but since I have been married to him I have always provided for myself anyway. Being broke in the U.K is certainly no fun but at least I could get my blood work done.. which here is a struggle. I have graves disease and thyroid eye disease and should have blood work done but its been over a year n ow as I can't afford it.
I have parents in Dunoon Scotland and a sister in Elgin, a brother in Aberdeen. I am not close to my half brother but my sister welcomes me with open arms so I can stay with her until I find a bed sit. I have an add on gumtree and spare room . uk but a lot of people want YOUNG people and not people over 50!! to share with but my sis assures me I will find something. I know the more money I go with the better. I have been looking at fares and of course they are expensive.. so right now I have 4000 dollars saved and would like to save more. My car is about to break down. I put 400 into it last month in repairs and told myself that's it no more.. once it's gone it's gone.. My daughter has 2 kids by different fathers.. one she has u.k passport for as she has sole custody the other she is in and out of relationship with the father of the child.. she says she does not want to move back to U.K.. My hubby, loves me in his own way..not the way I would want to be loved but he does the best he can so we are not at loggerheads but he understands why I want to move back.. SO even tho its going to be hard and my heart will be hurt I feel for me its the right thingto do. I feel very selfish, but I have to provide for myself for a few more years and just can't afford it over here...


Thanks for the explaination I can see why you feel stuck, Healthcare here is a mess and it seems you really do need some proper care, I know you feel selfish but I too think its time you took care of yourself, at some point you really do have to take care of yourself otherwise you will go beyond repair and finish up in a care home which wouldnt be good for you or your family.

I think its wonderful you have a sister that is willing to help you, many people would love to have a sister like yours.

Ive spoken to you in the past, things were bad before but now seem to have got worse, you have to face up to the fact that things are not getting better, maybe a new start in the UK with some proper care might do you the world of good.

I wont comment on your husband or daughter, I suppose they have to do what they have to do.

You are in an awful spot, I wish you lots of good health and happiness.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 25th 2015 4:23 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11544438)
Maybe it's because the US is his home but M's home is in the UK. I can understand that.

Hello fellow Yorkie...it's been awhile...how are you? :wave:

Hello to you too, Im fine I suppose, I still want to go back but Im no closer.

I enjoy your posts on here and the Yorkshire thread, Im glad the move to Toronto has made you a happy bunny.

I was suprised to read youd go back to the UK if you couldnt get PR in Canada but I can understand that too, Take Care... :wave:

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 25th 2015 4:26 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Amaike (Post 11541129)
I'm new to this thread and interested to hear from people who returned to UK after more than a decade in Australia... there are lots of people earlier on in this or similar threads who were planning to move. How has it been once you settled back in home, after years away?

Hopefully someone will respond to your post, sadly most that return dont post after they get back, to me thats understandable. Good Luck.

Perth Jan 25th 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11544468)
Hopefully someone will respond to your post, sadly most that return dont post after they get back, to me thats understandable. Good Luck.

Try the Back Home sub forum. Loads of stuff there.

Perth Jan 25th 2015 12:43 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11544466)
Hello to you too, Im fine I suppose, I still want to go back but Im no closer.

I enjoy your posts on here and the Yorkshire thread, Im glad the move to Toronto has made you a happy bunny.

I was suprised to read youd go back to the UK if you couldnt get PR in Canada but I can understand that too, Take Care... :wave:

Would love a link to that thread F&C

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2015 12:52 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11544647)
Would love a link to that thread F&C

There you go...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-...kshire-737595/

Derrygal Jan 25th 2015 1:29 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11544453)
Regardless. I see not much of a future here in the U.S for me. I have applied for care credit for dentist and doc and been denied so not much else left for me except a pity party LOL

I echo what others have said on this thread regarding your situation. I think you should go home - especially if your sister will help and support you. I understand you mentioning that you would miss your grandson. My adult children and 3 grand-children are the only reason I stay here (I was divorced 11 years ago). That said - I have a decent paying job (although not rich, but enough to pay the bills) and I have medical/dental/vision insurance through my job. I have told my daughters that if I ever lose my job and healthcare I will move back and they understand this. America can be a great place if you are a high earner. If you're not it can be a struggle and if you are part of the growing "working poor" it can be hell. You have to think of yourself. I wish you all the best.

jasper123 Jan 25th 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11544444)
Oh p.s My hubby would love to come to U.K but I cannot earn the 18,600 required ..

What is this 18,000 required you mention? forgive my ignorance,

Derrygal Jan 25th 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11544749)
What is this 18,000 required you mention? forgive my ignorance,

Her husband is an American - I believe this is required for the spouse visa to reside in the UK. I don't know the complete details (there are other threads that address this) but if you are bringing a non-EU spouse to reside in the UK you have to either have to have a job earning a certain amount, or else a certain amount of savings. It didn't use to be like this - the law was changed a year or two ago.

dunroving Jan 25th 2015 3:33 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11544749)
What is this 18,000 required you mention? forgive my ignorance,


Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11544756)
Her husband is an American - I believe this is required for the spouse visa to reside in the UK. I don't know the complete details (there are other threads that address this) but if you are bringing a non-EU spouse to reside in the UK you have to either have to have a job earning a certain amount, or else a certain amount of savings. It didn't use to be like this - the law was changed a year or two ago.

Here is a link to the Sticky in the Immigration part of the forum, about the new Draconian rules.

It's madness.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.