British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Derrygal Jan 25th 2015 3:11 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11544766)
Here is a link to the Sticky in the Immigration part of the forum, about the new Draconian rules.

It's madness.

Thanks for posting the link. Yes - it is madness and also very unfair.

jasper123 Jan 25th 2015 3:39 pm

[QUOTE=morayeel;11544443] Being broke in the U.K is certainly no fun but at least I could get my blood work done.. which here is a struggle. I have graves disease and thyroid eye disease and should have blood work done but its been over a year n ow as I can't afford it.

Hi Morayeel the more you post the more I am convinced you need to go home, and as soon as you can, you will immediatly get the health care and all the blood tests that you need, and medically overall you will be well looked after, that alone will take so much pressure off of you right away, this is your right, so never again will you feel like a second class citizen like one feels living in a country like the U.S. when you have no health insurance and so no health care, and absolutly no safety net for any other shortfalls that you may need help with,

And you say your Sister in Scotland will welcome you with open arms and allow you to stay with her untill you get yourself on yor feet, and she is right you will find somewhere suitible to live, when you do start looking I would stay clear of sharing with someone who you don't know from adam, that could turn out to be a nightmare for you, I would look for a bedsit or something on your own,
The maim thing right now is getting home, and I think its wonderful that you have support from your Sister, she sounds like she cares for you a lot, and understands your situation!!!! good on her!!! she sounds nice,
And another thing I would like to bring your attention to is in Scotland (unlike England) all your prescriptions are free for everyone at any age ---- so you dont have to wait until your 60 before you get free prescriptions like you do in England,
As for Money Hmmmm $4,000 is not a bad sum to come home with, I came home with $5,000 U.S. which was plenty, but then that was after I paid for my ticket home which cost me $650 on virgin r/t good tip is in most cases you will find that if you buy a round trip ticket its cheaper then a single ticket!!! ----- good luck me dear, and hope to see you on British soil very soon!!!!!
Rodney.

between two worlds Jan 25th 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11544807)

Yes, it is madness. Fair enough that non-citizens coming in should show they can support themselves, but these rules are now indeed draconian. They especially penalise families where the British citizen is staying home with the children. (Only the British partner's salary is taken into account). Even if the non-UK partner has every intention of working and supporting the family, and can prove past and current ability to do so, his/her salary doesn't count.
And even where the British citizen partner is, like morayeel, willing to work, if he/she can't command that £18,000 (ish), no dice. Unless the couple has £62,000 in savings.

As has been said, there are plenty of other threads addressing this, so it's a sidebar to our current discussion, but it's a situation causing much hardship and important to be aware of.

Morayeel, your particular situation must be so difficult--you have come to the right place to share your thoughts and anxieties about it all. Good luck with your plans, it sounds as if they are falling into place, and as someone has said, if you have a sister willing to help you at the outset, you are in a more fortunate position than many.

Perth Jan 25th 2015 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11544834)
Hi Morayeel the more you post the more I am convinced you need to go home, and as soon as you can, you will immediatly get the health care and all the blood tests that you need, and medically overall you will be well looked after, that alone will take so much pressure off of you right away, this is your right, so never again will you feel like a second class citizen like one feels living in a country like the U.S. when you have no health insurance and so no health care, and absolutly no safety net for any other shortfalls that you may need help with

+1. I would do this urgently.

Perth Jan 25th 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11544651)

Thank you! I am from London but will be moving to Chesterfield when we get back. Not totally unfamiliar with Yorkshire lads and lasses: when I was in boarding school in South Devon there was an exchange program with children from the Sheffield area. Still, I am sure I will have a lot to learn about living there!

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2015 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11545050)
Thank you! I am from London but will be moving to Chesterfield when we get back. Not totally unfamiliar with Yorkshire lads and lasses: when I was in boarding school in South Devon there was an exchange program with children from the Sheffield area. Still, I am sure I will have a lot to learn about living there!

Chesterfield is in Derbyshire...but it is very close to Sheffield.

Perth Jan 25th 2015 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11545055)
Chesterfield is in Derbyshire...but it is very close to Sheffield.

Yes, I know, sorry should have mentioned it :p You must have thought me a right twerp. Clearly have A LOT to learn about living NEAR there :lol:

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 25th 2015 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 11545050)

O.M.G. I was born not too far from Chesterfield and lived near there for years, my youngest sister was born in Chesterfield.

Derbyshire is lovely.

jasper123 Jan 25th 2015 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11544807)

me too dunroving ---- thanks for posting the link --- I had no idea of this change in the law/rules ----- I understand the need to tighten up the requirements, but this is going way too far in my opinion, just crazy!!!!

Perth Jan 26th 2015 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11545080)
O.M.G. I was born not too far from Chesterfield and lived near there for years, my youngest sister was born in Chesterfield.

Derbyshire is lovely.

That's great Fish! I might be bending your ear now and again for a bit of info. Getting really excited about it. We really had no idea where we were going to go until my best British friend here in Florida went home there. She has been begging us to move over ever since. But we are caught up in those immigration regulations you've been talking about as the OH is American. We are saving up so as to be able to go the savings instead of income route. Two more years should do it :fingerscrossed: :thumbsup:

Englishmum Jan 26th 2015 1:18 pm

The British newspaper, "The Guardian" has been running a series with the title "Let's Move To........" for a few years now - with approx 350 reports on towns in the UK. This is what was reported on Chesterfield in August 2013 (do scroll down to the bottom of the page to see comments too :blink:):

Let's move to Chesterfield, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Other Derbyshire towns listed in the 'Guardian' include:

Let's move to Matlock, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to Ashbourne, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to Glossop, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to ... Buxton, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to ... Bakewell, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

I'm not very familiar with Derbyshire, but last September we rented a holiday flat in Buxton, where my daughter did a short course and I looked after my granddaughter. I have to say I really liked Buxton - a Spa town - which has beautiful buildings and a lovely park in the town centre. Sadly we didn't have time to explore other towns such as Bakewell, but we did drive through Ashbourne and it looked very nice too.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 26th 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11545688)
The British newspaper, "The Guardian" has been running a series with the title "Let's Move To........" for a few years now - with approx 350 reports on towns in the UK. This is what was reported on Chesterfield in August 2013 (do scroll down to the bottom of the page to see comments too :blink:):

Let's move to Chesterfield, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Other Derbyshire towns listed in the 'Guardian' include:

Let's move to Matlock, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to Ashbourne, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to Glossop, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to ... Buxton, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

Let's move to ... Bakewell, Derbyshire | Money | The Guardian

I'm not very familiar with Derbyshire, but last September we rented a holiday flat in Buxton, where my daughter did a short course and I looked after my granddaughter. I have to say I really liked Buxton - a Spa town - which has beautiful buildings and a lovely park in the town centre. Sadly we didn't have time to explore other towns such as Bakewell, but we did drive through Ashbourne and it looked very nice too.

Thanks for that, Matlock and Bakewell are places we visit every time we go back, Bakewell is my favorite, its a great place to wander around shopping and eating, there are cute little shops, its like turning back the clock.

Buxton is further away for us so we hardly ever go there, still I know its a lovely place.

morayeel Jan 26th 2015 6:07 pm

Thank you for all your support. I talked with my sister today.. I am looking at fares. I am thinking of April. My American nephew had booked me a flight to his wedding in May but air fares rise by 400 dollars from April to May and he booked my flight with a voucher he had to use so no pressure. I would love to attend his wedding in New York but I have to try to save every penny. My grandson was over this morning. I have mentioned my moving back to U.K.. he is sad about it but knows there is Skype.. I will leave my computer here at the trailer for him as he has his games on it and buy a tablet for me to take back. I have been on the U.K Gov job site and saw there are some jobs out there. If I can rent a room, I will put an ad on spare room U.K and Gum tree this week for 300 or 350 per month for a few months with the savings I have that will be great My sister has let me know I can stay with her until I can get a room. I am very fortunate to have support system. My parents reside in Dunoon. They have let me know I can stay with them, but they are eldery in their 80's and I know it would be too much and we would drive each other nuts!! so Elgin is a bigger town with more chance of employment.. Once again thanks for your replies.. I will answer the PM Wednesday.. Work is calling..

Englishmum Jan 26th 2015 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11545992)
Thank you for all your support. I talked with my sister today.. I am looking at fares. I am thinking of April. My American nephew had booked me a flight to his wedding in May but air fares rise by 400 dollars from April to May and he booked my flight with a voucher he had to use so no pressure. I would love to attend his wedding in New York but I have to try to save every penny. My grandson was over this morning. I have mentioned my moving back to U.K.. he is sad about it but knows there is Skype.. I will leave my computer here at the trailer for him as he has his games on it and buy a tablet for me to take back. I have been on the U.K Gov job site and saw there are some jobs out there. If I can rent a room, I will put an ad on spare room U.K and Gum tree this week for 300 or 350 per month for a few months with the savings I have that will be great My sister has let me know I can stay with her until I can get a room. I am very fortunate to have support system. My parents reside in Dunoon. They have let me know I can stay with them, but they are eldery in their 80's and I know it would be too much and we would drive each other nuts!! so Elgin is a bigger town with more chance of employment.. Once again thanks for your replies.. I will answer the PM Wednesday.. Work is calling..

Wow - exciting events are in store! I'll keep my fingers :fingerscrossed: for you! :starsmile:

And about Elgin:

Let's move to Elgin, Morayshire | Money | The Guardian

There isn't one for Dunoon as far as I can tell, but my google search did bring up a property website with two seperate 1 bedroomed properties (one for 350 pounds per month and the other for 375 pounds per month):

Lets Move | PROPERTIES – Letting

I've just thought of something; perhaps your sister can make enquiries on your behalf for Housing Association properties - there may be some 1 bedroomed flats or cottages available for single people or/and the over 50s age group eg.

http://www.langstane-ha.co.uk/what-we-do/

I have no idea of your age (and no, you needn't tell lol!) but this Housing Association in Elgin allows applications from people aged 60 and up:

http://www.housingcare.org/housing-c...-scotland.aspx (you could ask to go on the wait list if you're too young lol!)

Perth Jan 26th 2015 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11545824)
Thanks for that, Matlock and Bakewell are places we visit every time we go back, Bakewell is my favorite, its a great place to wander around shopping and eating, there are cute little shops, its like turning back the clock.

Buxton is further away for us so we hardly ever go there, still I know its a lovely place.

Yes,very interesting. Actually, Matlock is probably where we will looking since it is where my friend lives.