British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 7th 2015 8:02 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Amaike (Post 11558448)
Yes, I'm afraid I thought it was too good a story not to be an urban myth :(

Apple was founded in 1977 at which point Turing's war work was still top secret.

In any case it's a great film. There is another film called Enigma starring Kate Winslet, but it's more fictitious and doesn't contain Turing as a character.

Truth or myth I enjoyed it, Thanks.

curleytops Feb 7th 2015 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11557479)
Hershey are pathetic, Cadbury UK doesnt send much chocolate into this country in the big picture of things, it shows how greedy people like Hershey are.

As I said before I will take great pleasure in boycotting Hershey, No more American Cadburys Dairy Milk, Mini eggs, Creme Eggs or Kit Kats, and I wont be taking back a load of Reese's pieces as I always do for my inlaws.

There are plenty of other chocolate companies that will be happy to have my money, Mars and Nestles to name just two.

Further to the chocolate wars, caught this on the morning news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31188249

Derrygal Feb 7th 2015 11:56 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11558617)
Further to the chocolate wars, caught this on the morning news:
BBC News - The UK entrepreneurs shipping chocolate to US

Thanks for posting that Curleytops! I am so disgusted with the US court siding with Hersheys. I am heading out in an hour or so to my local World Market store. I have a $10 coupon off a $40 purchase. Hopefully they will still have a fair amount of Cadbury's available so I will stock up!! And I am going to boycott Hersheys (never really liked it that much anyway)!

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 7th 2015 5:46 pm

I went to my British shop this week and found out that Heinz are out of the pudding business, Bye Bye Heinz Treacle and Chocolate pudding, I was told there will be a replacement by another company, shipments are stuck at L.A. docks Huhhhh...

I went in a regular supermaket and found 3 treacle puds close on date but picked them right up.

cheers Feb 8th 2015 3:34 am

I can't find Foyles War on YouTube. Something about it not being available in the US because of copyright. Strange because I was able to get it previously.
I seem to remember reading somewhere about it being pulled.
I got to watch an old Doc Martin tonight. It was him inviting someone to dinner and they showed up tipsy. It was the one we're he and Louisa goes upstairs to check on the baby and their conversation is heard by the guests on the nursery speaker.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 8th 2015 5:34 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11559120)
I can't find Foyles War on YouTube. Something about it not being available in the US because of copyright. Strange because I was able to get it previously.
I seem to remember reading somewhere about it being pulled.
I got to watch an old Doc Martin tonight. It was him inviting someone to dinner and they showed up tipsy. It was the one we're he and Louisa goes upstairs to check on the baby and their conversation is heard by the guests on the nursery speaker.

Lots of things posted on You tube are considered illegal and get pulled, both music and TV, weve been watching the latest Last Tango until last week when they all got pulled or were made available for a charge through some third party, I will keep searching and get lucky or wait for it to come on PBS.

I remember the Doc Martin episode, seen it many times, just another goody.

jasper123 Feb 8th 2015 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11558872)
I went to my British shop this week and found out that Heinz are out of the pudding business, Bye Bye Heinz Treacle and Chocolate pudding, I was told there will be a replacement by another company, shipments are stuck at L.A. docks Huhhhh...

I went in a regular supermaket and found 3 treacle puds close on date but picked them right up.

Hi Fish,
Spotted Dicks are my favorite over here in UK, the best Ive found are Tescos own brand, just packed with raisins, just pop em in the microwave for a minute, pour ambrosia custard over top ----- Hmm scrumptious :thumbsup:
Four for £3.

formula Feb 8th 2015 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Amaike (Post 11557240)
In the Apple logo, the bite taken out of the apple is a tribute to Alan Turing

Steve Jobs said that wasn't true. @ 2.25

formula Feb 8th 2015 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 11557056)
I've seen both films - both were very enjoyable but out of the two I thought that 'The Imitation Game' was the best, although this may be partly due to the fact that I didn't know anything about Alan Turing, on whom the film was based and found it quite gripping and became more emotional as events unfolded.

Try and take a trip to Bletchley Park and see where the codebreakers worked. Engineers have rebuilt The Bombe.

cheers Feb 8th 2015 9:36 pm

I found this out while reading about the Faroe Islands just now.

Since the friendly British occupation, the Faroese have been fond of British food, in particular fish and chips and British-style chocolate such as Cadbury Dairy Milk, which is found in many of the island's shops, whereas in Denmark this is scarce.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 9th 2015 5:04 am

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11559745)
Try and take a trip to Bletchley Park and see where the codebreakers worked. Engineers have rebuilt The Bombe.

My wife would be up for that.

Funny thing, after talking about The Imitation Game with a friend we found out his mother worked on Codes for the USA.

Amaike Feb 9th 2015 10:38 am

Bletchley is amazing, they have an original Enigma machine as well, and they explain how it all works, much more clearly than is explained in the Imitation Game. I took my kids.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 10th 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11559743)

I tried to watch this, it was blocked by copyright laws.

The good news is this show is cominmg to BBC America on Feb 19th, it will be great to see a celeb panel show like this again.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 10th 2015 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Amaike (Post 11560166)
Bletchley is amazing, they have an original Enigma machine as well, and they explain how it all works, much more clearly than is explained in the Imitation Game. I took my kids.

Im sure it would be a great place to visit, hopefully we will..

islandwoman120 Feb 19th 2015 10:06 pm

Where is everyone? Snowed in? rained out?