British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

islandwoman120 Mar 10th 2015 11:53 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I just uploaded 15 photos taken today in the back rooms of my hairdressers salon in Dawlish. The rooms had been flooded out about 5 times in the last 12 months, and once the builders stripped the wall surface, this is what she is left with until it can be re-plastered. https://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/duchessofdawlish/

trottytrue Mar 11th 2015 12:38 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Islandwoman120...that really is awful flooding mine is nowhere near as bad, the insurance adjuster came and said that part of the walls need to be removed and new insulation putting on the outside walls plus 4 rooms have to have ceiling redone and a list of other things done which I don't look forward to. The water followed a trail down to the basement even that ceiling has to be replaced. We have to wait now to see how much money they will access it for.
I loved your other pictures I always said you have a really good eye for taking pictures. I can't wait to see pictures of your Garden.....

jasper....we already have a problem with the melting snow and ice. This afternoon an ice dam broke away and took part of the guttering and downspout with it. Fortunately I was able to send pictures to the insurance agent so he is able to add it to the claim..it's suppose to rain tonight keep your fingers crossed we get no more damage.....

islandwoman120 Mar 11th 2015 11:33 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11588768)
Islandwoman120...that really is awful flooding mine is nowhere near as bad, the insurance adjuster came and said that part of the walls need to be removed and new insulation putting on the outside walls plus 4 rooms have to have ceiling redone and a list of other things done which I don't look forward to. The water followed a trail down to the basement even that ceiling has to be replaced. We have to wait now to see how much money they will access it for.
I loved your other pictures I always said you have a really good eye for taking pictures. I can't wait to see pictures of your Garden.....

jasper....we already have a problem with the melting snow and ice. This afternoon an ice dam broke away and took part of the guttering and downspout with it. Fortunately I was able to send pictures to the insurance agent so he is able to add it to the claim..it's suppose to rain tonight keep your fingers crossed we get no more damage.....

What a nuisance for you - I would love to write otherwise but am being politically correct here! Any interior house work is so disruptive - nothing else can happen whilst the broken and mouldy bits get removed. You have my sympathies. :(

cheers Mar 14th 2015 12:21 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
About 7 US marines were killed in a helicopter crash yesterday in Florida. One of the marines came originally from Reading England.

Sgt. Liam Flynn, 33, from Queens, New York: Flynn was born in Reading, England, and moved to Queens, New York, in 2002. Four years later, he enlisted with the Marines. He deployed to Iraq in 2007 and Afghanistan in 2009 and again in 2013. His decorations included three Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medals with Valor, the Bronze Star with Valor and Combat Action Ribbon.

islandwoman120 Mar 18th 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Any St. Paddy's day stories? Nothing to report from my neck of the woods - except: the sun is shining! Yes! And the spring flowers are in full bloom now - lovely scents abound.

trottytrue Mar 18th 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Loads of drunks in NYC.................

islandwoman120 Mar 18th 2015 10:49 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Charming! Not...

jasper123 Mar 19th 2015 12:46 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11595729)
Any St. Paddy's day stories? Nothing to report from my neck of the woods - except: the sun is shining! Yes! And the spring flowers are in full bloom now - lovely scents abound.

Now this is my 4th St Paddy's day in England, and I just dont understand it!!!
Please can someone tell me why England do not celebrate the day, well you may say cause its England and not Ireland, well yes thats true ---- but then why oh why does every spot in America celebrate St Paddy's day with a passion, everyone goes crazy over there and only a small % have any Irish ancestry at all, so whats the reason? does anyone know?
The way I think is Hmm England is just a stones throw from Ireland, and being so near we should be celebrating like crazy every year like the Americans, I mean they live many thousands of miles from Ireland right? and they go out of there way to wear green etc, they have Irish pubs in most states, but any bar you go in over in the states on St Paddy's day people are really getting into the spirit, we dont do that here in England, and I dont know but I even doubt if even Ireland themselves celebrate there day as big as the Americans do!!! ------ and where I lived in Las Vegas on St paddy's day (night) the town would be like New Years Eve or the 4th of july, so many people would be on the strip that you couldn't even move, hundreds of thousands of people making a lot of noise and getting drunk and having what they say a ripping good time. :unsure:

Derrygal Mar 19th 2015 1:46 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11596139)
Now this is my 4th St Paddy's day in England, and I just dont understand it!!!
Please can someone tell me why England do not celebrate the day, well you may say cause its England and not Ireland, well yes thats true ---- but then why oh why does every spot in America celebrate St Paddy's day with a passion, everyone goes crazy over there and only a small % have any Irish ancestry at all, so whats the reason? does anyone know?
The way I think is Hmm England is just a stones throw from Ireland, and being so near we should be celebrating like crazy every year like the Americans, I mean they live many thousands of miles from Ireland right? and they go out of there way to wear green etc, they have Irish pubs in most states, but any bar you go in over in the states on St Paddy's day people are really getting into the spirit, we dont do that here in England, and I dont know but I even doubt if even Ireland themselves celebrate there day as big as the Americans do!!! ------ and where I lived in Las Vegas on St paddy's day (night) the town would be like New Years Eve or the 4th of july, so many people would be on the strip that you couldn't even move, hundreds of thousands of people making a lot of noise and getting drunk and having what they say a ripping good time. :unsure:

I wouldn't expect the English to celebrate St Patrick's Day - why should they? He isn't their patron saint. They have St George's Day on April 23rd. Why do Americans celebrate? Well there are a lot of Irish in America, especially in cities like Boston and New York. I don't know why it is so big in other parts of the US, but it is. Even here in Cleveland, Ohio there is a parade every year. I have only been a few times as I am usually working. To be honest, I think for some people it is just an excuse to get drunk. I may be Irish (although I consider myself British too) but I am not much of a drinker. And yes - the Irish do celebrate St Patrick's Day. It is a national holiday and there are parades in Irish cities (both north and south). America is a young country and Americans like to celebrate their roots so that maybe why it is so big over here.

curleytops Mar 19th 2015 9:15 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11596139)
Now this is my 4th St Paddy's day in England, and I just dont understand it!!!
Please can someone tell me why England do not celebrate the day, well you may say cause its England and not Ireland, well yes thats true ---- but then why oh why does every spot in America celebrate St Paddy's day with a passion, everyone goes crazy over there and only a small % have any Irish ancestry at all, so whats the reason? does anyone know?
The way I think is Hmm England is just a stones throw from Ireland, and being so near we should be celebrating like crazy every year like the Americans, I mean they live many thousands of miles from Ireland right? and they go out of there way to wear green etc, they have Irish pubs in most states, but any bar you go in over in the states on St Paddy's day people are really getting into the spirit, we dont do that here in England, and I dont know but I even doubt if even Ireland themselves celebrate there day as big as the Americans do!!! ------ and where I lived in Las Vegas on St paddy's day (night) the town would be like New Years Eve or the 4th of july, so many people would be on the strip that you couldn't even move, hundreds of thousands of people making a lot of noise and getting drunk and having what they say a ripping good time. :unsure:

It's the same in Canada, everyone seems to go all out with decorations in shops, green beer etc. Many times I was asked the question, "Why aren't you wearing green for St. Paddy's?" My answer would be, "Because I am English, not Irish, but I will be sure to wear a rose on St. George's Day." This was usually met with a blank stare :huh:

Bud the Wiser Mar 19th 2015 10:49 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
The question that should be asked is why the English don't celebrate St Georges day with the same passion as the Irish, and to a lesser degree the Welsh and Scots celebrate their patron saints?

Pollyana Mar 19th 2015 11:06 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11596139)
Now this is my 4th St Paddy's day in England, and I just dont understand it!!!
Please can someone tell me why England do not celebrate the day, well you may say cause its England and not Ireland, well yes thats true ---- but then why oh why does every spot in America celebrate St Paddy's day with a passion, everyone goes crazy over there and only a small % have any Irish ancestry at all, so whats the reason? does anyone know?
The way I think is Hmm England is just a stones throw from Ireland, and being so near we should be celebrating like crazy every year like the Americans, I mean they live many thousands of miles from Ireland right? and they go out of there way to wear green etc, they have Irish pubs in most states, but any bar you go in over in the states on St Paddy's day people are really getting into the spirit, we dont do that here in England, and I dont know but I even doubt if even Ireland themselves celebrate there day as big as the Americans do!!! ------ and where I lived in Las Vegas on St paddy's day (night) the town would be like New Years Eve or the 4th of july, so many people would be on the strip that you couldn't even move, hundreds of thousands of people making a lot of noise and getting drunk and having what they say a ripping good time. :unsure:

The answer probably lies in the long history of discord/upset/troubles etc between the English and the Irish.

I remember growing up in England at the time when English pubs were being blown up by the IRA, for instance. for many English people that is their lasting memory, and only contact, with the Irish nation - they associate "Irish" with IRA/ bombings/ terrorism etc. Why would they want to celebrate that?

Some of us have moved on - I now have many Irish friends, and i have discussed the "Troubles" with them, and learnt more about it, and I enjoy celebrating St Patrick's Day with them, I enjoy lots of irish music too. but thats because k know the difference between terrorists and the Irish people as a whole. I have no time for terrorism or the IRA, but unfortunately many people in England find it hard to tell the difference and to move on.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 19th 2015 4:33 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I think its funny that America celebrates St Patricks for the Irish and Cinco De Mayo for the Mexicans but we Brits dont get a day... Oh thats right July the 4th... LOL...

Here in Portland Oregon some celebrate St Patricks for 3-4 days, Im not kidding.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 19th 2015 4:35 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11596396)
The answer probably lies in the long history of discord/upset/troubles etc between the English and the Irish.

I remember growing up in England at the time when English pubs were being blown up by the IRA, for instance. for many English people that is their lasting memory, and only contact, with the Irish nation - they associate "Irish" with IRA/ bombings/ terrorism etc. Why would they want to celebrate that?

Some of us have moved on - I now have many Irish friends, and i have discussed the "Troubles" with them, and learnt more about it, and I enjoy celebrating St Patrick's Day with them, I enjoy lots of irish music too. but thats because k know the difference between terrorists and the Irish people as a whole. I have no time for terrorism or the IRA, but unfortunately many people in England find it hard to tell the difference and to move on.

Ohhhh I thought Brits had moved on...

BristolUK Mar 19th 2015 5:16 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 11596327)
Many times I was asked the question, "Why aren't you wearing green for St. Paddy's?" My answer would be, "Because I am English, not Irish, but I will be sure to wear a rose on St. George's Day." This was usually met with a blank stare :huh:

I wonder what would happen if you said something about daffodils.:lol:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:17 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.