British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui Aug 17th 2014 9:07 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11372268)
A Brilliant report, Im so glad you enjoyed yourself, The UK is Fab, even better in a car, I just love it, Ive always said Brits are courteous drivers and they are, I could go on but wont, you said it so well...

Thanks FnC. It certainly is. I can't believe how much living I crammed into the last month :blink:. As time permits (I've done nothing but sit on my computer and do a little laundry since I got back!) I intend to open a thread on renting a car in the UK to save others some of the extensive research I did before I went, and to share some thoughts on Location, Location, Location.

fulwood Aug 18th 2014 12:00 am

Bandrui, our stories are similar but then again different. I spent 6 weeks in UK this summer and like you as I was there so long felt like a Brit again and not a tourist in my own country. I have decided at age 52 (30 years thus far in US) that my remaining years will be in the UK. I can't leave yet as I still have student loan death or should I say debt. I want to leave US with no debts and few thousand in bank. I will have US Social Security, my own 401k, and working on doing class 2 contributions for NI. It will take me 2-4 years I am hoping. My decision is also driven by fact have no family here anymore and friends well just not same as those in UK. Thanks for your update. I'm gonna go back on QM2 with my 2 dogs..

feelbritish Aug 18th 2014 1:30 am

Bandrui, what a lovely holiday and synopsis of your time there! Looks like we are also going to be returning much later than anticipated. Have posted full details in thread "when 1 wants to go and the other doesn't" !

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 18th 2014 1:49 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11372280)
Thanks FnC. It certainly is. I can't believe how much living I crammed into the last month :blink:. As time permits (I've done nothing but sit on my computer and do a little laundry since I got back!) I intend to open a thread on renting a car in the UK to save others some of the extensive research I did before I went, and to share some thoughts on Location, Location, Location.

£10 a day car rental sounds good to me, can you tell us what type of car you rented, was it manual or automatic transmission, and did you buy the Insurance.

Sorry to jump the gun on your thread but you've really got my attention...

bandrui Aug 18th 2014 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11372275)
Sounds like you have a great spirit and attitude. I am pleased you enjoyed your trip so much. You go girl!! :goodpost:

Sometimes.:o I am going to have to dig really deep now that I'm back and down in the dumps again. More to take care of here than I can explain and little energy for it but now have a goal.

bandrui Aug 18th 2014 1:56 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 11372404)
Bandrui, our stories are similar but then again different. I spent 6 weeks in UK this summer and like you as I was there so long felt like a Brit again and not a tourist in my own country. I have decided at age 52 (30 years thus far in US) that my remaining years will be in the UK. I can't leave yet as I still have student loan death or should I say debt. I want to leave US with no debts and few thousand in bank. I will have US Social Security, my own 401k, and working on doing class 2 contributions for NI. It will take me 2-4 years I am hoping. My decision is also driven by fact have no family here anymore and friends well just not same as those in UK. Thanks for your update. I'm gonna go back on QM2 with my 2 dogs..

You're smart Fulwood. I wish I had paid contributions for a UK pension when I had the chance. I did contact them but I can only by 6 years and only worked there for 2 1/2 years so still woudn't have enough so only have my CPP and OAP from Canada, not enough to live on. I do however have 8 years that I worked in the US so, like Trotty, am wondering if I can put my US and UK work time together to make the minimum 10 years. Have to check on this.

Here's hoping your plans come to fruition. ;)

bandrui Aug 18th 2014 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11372473)
£10 a day car rental sounds good to me, can you tell us what type of car you rented, was it manual or automatic transmission, and did you buy the Insurance.

Sorry to jump the gun on your thread but you've really got my attention...

I chose the compact category: Hyundai I30 "or similar". Well I got the "or similar", a Vauxhall Astra. It had a really wide wheelbase and I wished I had chosen the economy category but there were only cents difference in the rates. It was a manual, which is what I wanted. I have always driven a manual and in an automatic, I'm always pressing the phantom clutch and wanting to shift gears! :lol:

Ok, so the insurance... This is what I really researched. They send you emails asking if you want to buy their insurance but you don't need to. My CDW was covered by my credit card and I got a letter from them to say that I was covered. (This letter is required). I spent ages researching where to buy 3rd party liability in the UK. You can't buy it here in Canada for a Uk car rental, then read in a forum that UK car rentals carry 3rd party by law. The car rental company doesn't tell you this in any of their terms or conditions but when I emailed them directly, they acknowledged that it was covered.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 18th 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11372475)
Sometimes.:o I am going to have to dig really deep now that I'm back and down in the dumps again. More to take care of here than I can explain and little energy for it but now have a goal.

You have a goal but you also have hope and the the knowledge of what you want out of life, it seems so real, its just part of the process, day by day it will get a little closer. Follow your Dreams.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 18th 2014 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11372496)
I chose the compact category: Hyundai I30 "or similar". Well I got the "or similar", a Vauxhall Astra. It had a really wide wheelbase and I wished I had chosen the economy category but there were only cents difference in the rates. It was a manual, which is what I wanted. I have always driven a manual and in an automatic, I'm always pressing the phantom clutch and wanting to shift gears! :lol:

Ok, so the insurance... This is what I really researched. They send you emails asking if you want to buy their insurance but you don't need to. My CDW was covered by my credit card and I got a letter from them to say that I was covered. (This letter is required). I spent ages researching where to buy 3rd party liability in the UK. You can't buy it here in Canada for a Uk car rental, then read in a forum that UK car rentals carry 3rd party by law. The car rental company doesn't tell you this in any of their terms or conditions but when I emailed them directly, they acknowledged that it was covered.

Thanks for your reply. The I-30 is nice and the Astra is beautiful, thats a great car.

The full coverage Insurance can be more than the price of the car in many cases, its a great benefit to have, I used to have full coverge with my Credit card, I was involved in 5 car pile up 20 years ago, a moron on his cell phone ran into 4 of us stood at an off ramp near the NEC, he walked away fine, some cars were totalled and people were bleeding, I had some back issues, all pretty nasty, I drove my New Vauxhall Astra rental into Birmingham where they gave me a replacement, the back and front were badly damaged, I was the middle car.

Some weeks after getting home I recieved a bill from the rental company for the damage complete with the body shops bill, I contacted my CCC and the bill was paid... Lucky me...

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 18th 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 11372404)

Fulwood, it sounds like a good plan to me, good luck to you...

Jerseygirl Aug 18th 2014 12:04 pm

Last year we booked a car from Rentalcars.com...which then linked to Expedia. The car was actually from Hertz...who upgraded the car when we collected it. We paid $249 USD...about £150 for a Ford Galaxy for 13 days. It was diesel...so easy on the wallet.

jasper123 Aug 18th 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 11372273)
New topic!

I have finally answered the question "Do I want to move back to England?" and the answer is "Yes!". The car really helped me to answer this. Inmy whole month there this time, I never felt like a visitor. I felt like a resident and became more and more depressed as my return flight loomed.

As I drove through different places, I would ask myself the question "Could I live in this village/town?" A couple of yeses were Tetbury, Stroud, and some of the villages I passed throughbut when I drove into Lyme Regis and saw the sea, I felt that I was 5 years old again and heard my mother say (mentally... she has been gone for many years) "See who's the first one to see the sea." I knew right away that I had to live by the sea and absolutely fell in love with Dorset, particularly Lyme Regis and Swanage. I stayed for 2 days in each and 4 days in Weymouth... less impressive but a good place to explore from... Dorchester, Hardy country, the hills and villages.

I know that it's expensive and all I will have is the money from my house but where there's a will, there's away so trust that this will happen. It won't be the proverbial tomorrow because there is so much that I have to do here, but one day..... the gods willing.

I got home to see that about 6 panels of my side fence were flat on the ground, my extensive vegetable garden was literally non-existent an the rest of my garden... roses and perennials... shredded. Those damn deer. I take it as a message from the universe that I am no longer meant to be here :unsure:.

Hi Banduri, two great posts of yours, it was very inspirational reading, I can imagine if I was still in the States ------ after reading your posts I would be feeling extremely home sick right now, ---- but Im not though cause Im home and living the dream :thumbsup:
about the car and licence issue, well yes I hear where your coming from, and you make a whole lot of sense you really do, there are many places even near me especially in the country areas and all the out of the way lovely little villages that would be very hard or darn right impossible to get to by bus, so a car would be great!!!!
Well I have my provisional licence now, and who knows maybe soon I will grab a few lessons, swat up on the highway code and just go for the theory and practical tests ---- just go for it!!! ----- Maybe :unsure:
But for now Mums car is sold, insurance canceled, and Mum feels really good with her decision, ---- if later on I do decide to try and pass my drivers tests I will be buying an automatic car ----- not a stick shift thank you very much;)
Well your back home in Canada now and so you have lots of great memories of your month long holiday in this lovely green land, and no doubt many many pictures taken to look at and show your friends back there and your relatives,
Take care Banduri,
Rodney.

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 18th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11372888)
Last year we booked a car from Rentalcars.com...which then linked to Expedia. The car was actually from Hertz...who upgraded the car when we collected it. We paid $249 USD...about £150 for a Ford Galaxy for 13 days. It was diesel...so easy on the wallet.

Thanks for that info Jersey, its well worth remembering, thats an awesome deal on a Galaxy.

cheers Aug 18th 2014 3:52 pm

Something wrong with this thread because I don't get notified when there is a new post.

rebs Aug 18th 2014 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11373139)
Something wrong with this thread because I don't get notified when there is a new post.

Check your profile details for your settings relating to notifications on subscribed threads.