British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

J.JsOH Aug 20th 2014 8:30 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11375330)
Wow your the first ones on this site that I know of to do this, Congratulations, from this post and others I can see you put lots of thought into this decesion, your reasons make lots of sense, extra baggage for no good reason...

Can I ask was it expensive? just curious.

Thanks for the Info and Good Luck to you both as always...

Hi Fish, thanks.
Yes, we considered the action both practically and emotionally. It did not become even a thought until we had been back a couple years then it took a while to take root.
We are no worse off for doing it, being back to UK square one as if we never left - but we do have some good memories of our US period.

The cost was $450 each plus £15 to have the Certificates couriered back to us. Our passport would have to be renewed next year so we avoided that $110 each. We did all the prep ourselves so there were no other support or advisor fees.
John

jasper123 Aug 20th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 11375337)
Hi Fish, thanks.
Yes, we considered the action both practically and emotionally. It did not become even a thought until we had been back a couple years then it took a while to take root.
We are no worse off for doing it, being back to UK square one as if we never left - but we do have some good memories of our US period.

The cost was $450 each plus £15 to have the Certificates couriered back to us. Our passport would have to be renewed next year so we avoided that $110 each. We did all the prep ourselves so there were no other support or advisor fees.
John

Well John that certainly took me by surprise, and as fish said to his knowledge you and June are the first to renounce there U.S. Citizenship on this thread, WOW!!! thats a really big step to take, but I certainly do understand your decision, and as you said it was not made lightly,
speaking just for myself I think you know that I would never give up my U.S. citizenship ---- even though I have absolutely no desire to ever return to America again to live,
some people would say well why not? and I just say why? but then having said that I do sometimes question my reasoning for wanting to keep my U.S. Passport and duel nationality, who knows maybe --- just maybe if I search deep deep into my sole would I maybe find that there is some kind of uncertainty?
And then I think sometimes of this, what if I do follow after my Mum and live till my 90's or even beyond, and all my relatives and everyone that I had known in my life are all dead, and Im all alone, and when I die there would be nobody around to shred a tear,
and at that time of my life while Im still living but very very old, I may want to spend the little time I have left in the U.S. and die there!!!
or say even WAY BEFORE I get to my 90's and I develope an incurable disease and I'm told I only have a short time to live, a couple of years maybe,well at that point then I would like to find my bucket list and hop on a plane to the U.S. so I could finally do all the things that I wanted to do but didn't!!! all those things for me are in the U.S.

But John and June I congratulate you both for having the strength and guts to really know who you are, what you are, and without a shred of doubt what you want from life, and most importantly where you want to be!!!!
WOW I can only imagine the wonderful freedom you must feel right now, its not for everyone what you have done ---- but all that matters is its right for you,
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Take care my friends,
Rodney.

Jerseygirl Aug 20th 2014 3:39 pm

I would give my US citizenship up in a heartbeat...but financially it's a problem. I'm British...not American and I never will be.

J.JsOH Aug 20th 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11375767)
Well John that certainly took me by surprise, and as fish said to his knowledge you and June are the first to renounce there U.S. Citizenship on this thread, WOW!!! thats a really big step to take, but I certainly do understand your decision, and as you said it was not made lightly,
speaking just for myself I think you know that I would never give up my U.S. citizenship ---- even though I have absolutely no desire to ever return to America again to live,
some people would say well why not? and I just say why? but then having said that I do sometimes question my reasoning for wanting to keep my U.S. Passport and duel nationality, who knows maybe --- just maybe if I search deep deep into my sole would I maybe find that there is some kind of uncertainty?
And then I think sometimes of this, what if I do follow after my Mum and live till my 90's or even beyond, and all my relatives and everyone that I had known in my life are all dead, and Im all alone, and when I die there would be nobody around to shred a tear,
and at that time of my life while Im still living but very very old, I may want to spend the little time I have left in the U.S. and die there!!!
or say even WAY BEFORE I get to my 90's and I develope an incurable disease and I'm told I only have a short time to live, a couple of years maybe,well at that point then I would like to find my bucket list and hop on a plane to the U.S. so I could finally do all the things that I wanted to do but didn't!!! all those things for me are in the U.S.

But John and June I congratulate you both for having the strength and guts to really know who you are, what you are, and without a shred of doubt what you want from life, and most importantly where you want to be!!!!
WOW I can only imagine the wonderful freedom you must feel right now, its not for everyone what you have done ---- but all that matters is its right for you,
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Take care my friends,
Rodney.

I hear you Rodney, and we understand there is always that maybe I would move back if such and such question.
We too would like to go visit (10 states still to do) and it is still possible through a visitor visa and the Embassy even gave us a cover letter to carry with us if we go soon to explain why we use UK and not US Passport. I believe I read somewhere official that a stay for more than 30 days a year for the first 10 years after renouncing risks being regarded as reverting to US taxable status so have to watch for tricky stuff like that with our new status.

As for the later life situation, we couldn't imagine either of us wanting to manage US affairs forever. We neither have anyone close who would / could manage those for us if we became incapacitated.

Cheers, June and John

feelbritish Aug 20th 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11373933)
. It reminds me of the quote by W.H. Murrary: Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.

I have had to read this a few times, it is very profound! Huge eye opener and so true. That is basically my problem, I have a foot in Canada, the other foot in UK and an arm in Cape Town where I was born and my only family still live! So making a commitment somewhere is something I have to do! Not sure about all manner of unforeseen incidents coming our way, because in Canada they have been largely negative. Also I am part of a couple so there is always someone else involved!

feelbritish Aug 20th 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 11373915)
It is the start of a new chapter in our life today.
Yesterday we renounced our US Citizenship.
I feel the decision to renounce was made a while back but only recently came the committment to take the step.
The commitment was not entered lightly, nor was my original Naturalization which was right for me/us at the time. Now it was right for me to Renounce.
I was unsettled being in my own country yet being an expat from another.
Anyway, we burned our bridges (although the ferry is still running).
Each to their own decision, this was the right one for us, it may not suit everyone.
Practicalities were to make application and we received the final appointment, together, at the London Embassy for 3 weeks ahead. Having had the interview we now have a 8 week wait while the paperwork is ratified in US and the final certificate comes back to us. The 'interview' yesterday took 1 hour, most of it being done by the staff in the back office and us being called to the counter from time to time to sign and oath and pay.
Well it is done and today I feel it was the right thing to do.

Wow! that was not taken lightly! I certainly admire you for having the courage of your convictions and as you say a new chapter is beginning. Good luck and hope it helps you settle in better.

between two worlds Aug 21st 2014 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 11373933)
. It reminds me of the quote by W.H. Murrary: Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 11376203)
I have had to read this a few times, it is very profound! Huge eye opener and so true. That is basically my problem, I have a foot in Canada, the other foot in UK and an arm in Cape Town where I was born and my only family still live! So making a commitment somewhere is something I have to do! Not sure about all manner of unforeseen incidents coming our way, because in Canada they have been largely negative. Also I am part of a couple so there is always someone else involved!

Very interesting to hear about this, J.J's OH. It absolutely makes sense for you--and neither of you were US natove-born citizens as I understand it?

My case is more like feelbritish's--feet all over the place! OH is a USC from birth so I would never expect him to renounce. I want to be based in UK for the rest of my life (or so I feel now) but still have one adult child in US, plus a property still, therefore some to-ing and fro-ing will always be on the cards....

cheers Aug 21st 2014 2:12 am

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 11375333)
Thanks. For sure this is a very personal decision and opinions will differ. This is right for us. There is no animosity to US in us doing this, I will still be a US supporter in most things that they are.

The London embassy people were fine about it. It was mostly a paperwork process and most clerical folks including those at the front desk are Brits and were quite friendly. The only American we met (with a US accent anyway) was the Consular Officer to whom we had to make Oath. We made the choice not to make a written reason for renouncing and this C.O. asked us why renounce and accepted our spoken (probably recorded) statement. If anything she seemed a bit put out that we were renouncing, as many US would be on being told we were rejecting their sponorship but otherwise quite approachable professional. I felt we were treated with respect through the whole event.

The process was all very calm and the only stress was within us for a) the significance of what we were doing since we did not do it lightly and b) that we had got all the paperwork correct.

Prior to the appointment when we were struggling with understanding of paperwork I had emailed them and received very helpful and clear responses.
When I e-filed the application in the evening I received the appointment confirmation before 9.m. the next morning.

There is more paperwork that now must be done regarding finances but I have previously done a dry run on it and feel it is all do-able provided I follow the required processes.

Can you become a US citizen again?
or can you get a green card?

J.JsOH Aug 21st 2014 9:07 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 11376439)

Very interesting to hear about this, J.J's OH. It absolutely makes sense for you--and neither of you were US natove-born citizens as I understand it?

My case is more like feelbritish's--feet all over the place! OH is a USC from birth so I would never expect him to renounce. I want to be based in UK for the rest of my life (or so I feel now) but still have one adult child in US, plus a property still, therefore some to-ing and fro-ing will always be on the cards....

Yes, we are native UK, no kids, no property in US apart from some retirement pots.
I would never expect myself or ask anyone esle to give up birth country, whether UK or if it had been US.

J.JsOH Aug 21st 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11376445)
Can you become a US citizen again?
or can you get a green card?

No, renouncing USC is irrevocable.
Green card, well I never looked into that as it doesn't apply to my situation.

cheers Aug 21st 2014 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 11376705)
No, renouncing USC is irrevocable.
Green card, well I never looked into that as it doesn't apply to my situation.

Just thought I would ask because of the current world political situation and who knows what will happen in the future.
I understand the irrevocable side but I wonder hypothetically if a person could start from the beginning again, green card then apply for citizenship?
I know you can't see yourself ever, ever doing this but I wonder if it could be done.

cheers Aug 21st 2014 1:16 pm

Isn't it really nice that the British police do not wear guns on duty. Is this true in any other country?

Cheers

rebs Aug 21st 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11376911)
Isn't it really nice that the British police do not wear guns on duty. Is this true in any other country?

Cheers

It's almost unique - apparently Republic of Ireland and New Zealand are also routinely unarmed. Norway carry guns in their cars...

An interesting (maybe concerning?) article I saw the other day about patrols in Inverness (of all places!) by armed police...

BBC News - The British police on armed routine patrol

Fish n Chips 56 Aug 21st 2014 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 11375337)
Hi Fish, thanks.

John

Thanks John for your reply and all the info about your experience, I think thats quiet expensive.

mikelincs Aug 21st 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11376916)
It's almost unique - apparently Republic of Ireland and New Zealand are also routinely unarmed. Norway carry guns in their cars...

An interesting (maybe concerning?) article I saw the other day about patrols in Inverness (of all places!) by armed police...

BBC News - The British police on armed routine patrol

Well it is the Scottish Police force, a separate entity to the English and Welsh, perhaps a hint of things to come if the Scots vote 'Yes'?