British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Jun 9th 2014 8:23 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Before I took US citizenship I looked up about British requirements on that and they don't honour it as long as you want to be British that's fine by them. I am sure we went over that a couple of years ago but it must be in one of their documents, It's only the US that is concerned with it.

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 9th 2014 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11293728)
Jobs are not that easy to find nowadays, especially when you get to a certain age.

I assume you are either retired or have been in a comfortable job position for a long time?

With a response like that I will assume you are having a bad day, I'm in the same age group and know the job situation for people our age.

I thought my suggestion was logical seeing as Windsong does not seem to have her ducks in a row for an immediate move to the UK, a few weeks ago she posed the question on this thread of staying in Colorado for another year in order to give herself extra money for the UK move.

Maybe you have some suggestions that may help her.

PM me if you want to know my work / retirement situation, Id be happy to explain.

Have a Lovely Week...

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 9th 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11293741)
I have nowhere to live until I find a job. I can stay with a friend for a week but that's it.

I also don't want to spend a penny on a downpayment for a lease - and buying furniture - when I would only have been here until September anyway. Fortunately, I will be paid through June and I will have enough money to make the move anyway and the funds from the sale of my vehicle will be gravy. It might be a bit rough for a month or so but I will soon begin drawing my company pension and perhaps also SS before year end if I have to.

Even with my original plan, I was hell bent on finding a way to leave before September if it was possible. As it so happened, life threw me a curve and this time, in a funny sort of way, it should work out for the best.

Even my friend here said it is the right thing to do - for me.

The time is right.

I see your situation has recently changed, a few months ago I read your posts and you were living with a friend on a Mountain looking for work, I dont remember reading about your job and it coming with lodgings, even so good luck.

trottytrue Jun 9th 2014 9:25 am

Islandwoman120...how are you doing have you thought anymore about moving to another part of the UK it really is hard when you are trying so hard to have not found what you are looking for but just don't give up yet.

between two worlds Jun 9th 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11294329)
Islandwoman120...how are you doing have you thought anymore about moving to another part of the UK it really is hard when you are trying so hard to have not found what you are looking for but just don't give up yet.

Yes, islandwoman, I have been wondering about this too. If you are happy in Dawlish, is there a rush for you to buy?? Obviously it's better than spending rent money, in that owning a house is an investment and the money is going towards purchase, but if you are happy where you are--a hard-won happiness if I remember your story--isn't it better to be patient and just hope something nice --and affordable--comes on the market at some point?

islandwoman120 Jun 9th 2014 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 11294459)
Yes, islandwoman, I have been wondering about this too. If you are happy in Dawlish, is there a rush for you to buy?? Obviously it's better than spending rent money, in that owning a house is an investment and the money is going towards purchase, but if you are happy where you are--a hard-won happiness if I remember your story--isn't it better to be patient and just hope something nice --and affordable--comes on the market at some point?

I don't have to rush to buy, ( I have been looking for a year now) but I need to stop being a renter soonish. I have been looking at neighbouring towns too, such as Starcross, where I found a 3 bedroom flat with a garden. But - and there seems always to be a but in the lower price range - it backs onto the busy main road, so though there is double glazing, it needs triple glazing and is above a hairdressers. Lots to think about, but Starcross is a railway town, there are few tourists (known locally as grockles!) the bus links are good, and I like the people I have met there. I can't really move far away as I run the local U3A now - moved up the ranks a bit! Watch this space.

between two worlds Jun 9th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11294485)
I don't have to rush to buy, ( I have been looking for a year now) but I need to stop being a renter soonish. I have been looking at neighbouring towns too, such as Starcross, where I found a 3 bedroom flat with a garden. But - and there seems always to be a but in the lower price range - it backs onto the busy main road, so though there is double glazing, it needs triple glazing and is above a hairdressers. Lots to think about, but Starcross is a railway town, there are few tourists (known locally as grockles!) the bus links are good, and I like the people I have met there. I can't really move far away as I run the local U3A now - moved up the ranks a bit! Watch this space.

Ah ok! That's clearer--I am glad you plan to stay in the area and continue with U3A, you've worked so hard to make the friends and contacts and get that running...

Well, good luck with the hunt. Fingers crossed for you that something affordable--and nice!-- will come up.

windsong Jun 9th 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11294284)
With a response like that I will assume you are having a bad day, I'm in the same age group and know the job situation for people our age.

I thought my suggestion was logical seeing as Windsong does not seem to have her ducks in a row for an immediate move to the UK, a few weeks ago she posed the question on this thread of staying in Colorado for another year in order to give herself extra money for the UK move.

PM me if you want to know my work / retirement situation, Id be happy to explain.

Have a Lovely Week...

F&C, when I posed that question I anticipated being in this same job for another year but now the situation has changed drastically and I would have to lease a place and buy furniture, same as if I was in the UK.

windsong Jun 9th 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 11294289)
I see your situation has recently changed, a few months ago I read your posts and you were living with a friend on a Mountain looking for work, I dont remember reading about your job and it coming with lodgings, even so good luck.

Yes, I got a fabulous job and had to move "again". Now that job is ending - and my residence - because the entire property is being sold.

windsong Jun 9th 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 11294147)
Re the one-day renewal of the pp, I don't know if they would do that for a long-expired pp like yours, but you should be able to find out online.

Also I should clarify that I made the appointment well BEFORE going to Newport, maybe even while I was still in the US--not the other way round as I wrote.

However if funds are tight, doing this trip may not be an option for you. Or perhaps you could also use it to check out the situation w your half-sister and other stuff in UK.

I also agree w dunrovin's suggestion that you call the Border agency again to check about what would happen going with dogs on US pp but showing yr expired British pp. Have you got anything else to show that you are still a British citizen? I don't know how one would even renounce citizenship of UK even if one wanted to! But have you got things that show active ties there?

I definitely would NOT go in as a US citizen visitor, when you are British and do have the right to live here.

I agree with this; however, getting in to the country first is the main thing. Once in, I can renew my UK passport. However, I have never been able to lie and don't like to do so, so I hope they let me if I show my US passport and have my 10-year expired old blue book passport with me. If I am pretty sure they will let me in, my dogs will be on the same plane with me.

If there is a reasonable chance it won't work, a friend may come with me with the dogs in her name. She is 100% American so there is no dual passport issue. She can merely say she is taking the dogs to live with her friend in England.

formula Jun 9th 2014 4:31 pm

Have a Lovely Week...

I'll PM you:D

FWIW. I thought your suggestion was a good one.

formula Jun 9th 2014 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 11294147)
Re the one-day renewal of the pp, I don't know if they would do that for a long-expired pp like yours, but you should be able to find out online.

I just looked and it's not quick if you have one of the old blue/black passports.

formula Jun 9th 2014 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11294622)
I agree with this; however, getting in to the country first is the main thing. Once in, I can renew my UK passport. However, I have never been able to lie and don't like to do so, so I hope they let me if I show my US passport and have my 10-year expired old blue book passport with me. If I am pretty sure they will let me in, my dogs will be on the same plane with me.

If there is a reasonable chance it won't work, a friend may come with me with the dogs in her name. She is 100% American so there is no dual passport issue. She can merely say she is taking the dogs to live with her friend in England.

It all seems extra stressful with the way you are thinking of doing it.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 9th 2014 4:53 pm

Have a Lovely Week...

Wow..over reaction!

All I did was point out that finding another job would probably take longer than getting her Passport.

You have a nice week as well...

windsong Jun 9th 2014 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11294962)
It all seems extra stressful with the way you are thinking of doing it.

Most likely, I will go alone with the dogs and present two passports (one expired) and see what happens! I will be a nervous wreck, though.