British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Sep 22nd 2013 5:54 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10912707)
Why is this romanticised view of a class-riven society so popular ib the US ? Let me think............................

Strange because this was answered just yesterday by Lady Mary in the press.

See this from the Express.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbi...-Downton-Abbey

cheers Sep 22nd 2013 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10912731)
Went very well so far, Dh got here 10 days later, jet lag worn off, two app for NHS jobs in and a friend who thinks she can get me in where she is, so fingers crossed.
Dh unfortunately is starting with another episode of the illness he has so will see the doc tomorrow, already signed up, so should be OK. He just needs back on his meds asap and all will be well.
Other than that alls well.
I got roped into looking after a sick neighbors cat while she's off recovering. Everyone is so friendly in our little street. I have to go and feed him let him in the house and lock him up for the night and feed and let him out in the morning. Cheeky little thing figured out where we live and follows us home, he came in through the open living room window this afternoon looking for some company.

I can't wait for this tonight. I'm getting Dd off to bed and making a cup of tea and getting some biscuits and taking over the family room to watch. Dh is going to be banned to the front room to watch something else. :lol:

Sorry DH is having a re occurrence of his bout. That sea air should do him some good.

I was reflecting on my visit to Conwy on June 17th, this summer, and walking the castle and the main street visiting the bakery and getting an ice cream cone and eating it when sitting on a bench facing the harbor. Nice memory.

cheers Sep 23rd 2013 2:01 am

Is anyone watching the Emmys?
Seems like it is all commercials.
No awards for Downton Abbey so far.

Lestergirl Sep 24th 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for the update Mummy, I am so happy for you! Hope Hubby gets sorted by doc. soon.

cheers Sep 24th 2013 7:54 pm

So I just got a charge on my American Express credit card from Hertz for a traffic offense- "Bus Lane", thats it??? I don't give away $185 that easy but as we know they have the credit card so they can dip into it as they feel like it.
Very limited details except it happened 2 months ago someplace in England. Is that the way they do things?

£117 which equals $185.34

dunroving Sep 24th 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10916222)
So just I got a charge on my credit card for a fine from Hertz for an offense. "Bus Lane" Where is the evidence???

Very limited details except it happened 2 months ago someplace in England. Is that the way they do things?

£117

Ask them for a copy of the letter. There should be a photo, with date and time, and the vehicle number plate.

Glasgow introduced bus lane cameras just over a year ago and took in a million in fines in the first couple of months. I received three fines on the same morning, a Sunday, at 7:30 a.m. £180 total.

cheers Sep 24th 2013 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10916228)
Ask them for a copy of the letter. There should be a photo, with date and time, and the vehicle number plate.

Glasgow introduced bus lane cameras just over a year ago and took in a million in fines in the first couple of months. I received three fines on the same morning, a Sunday, at 7:30 a.m. £180 total.

Were you able to fight it?

I have sent off an email to Hertz US so we shall see their response.

cheers Sep 24th 2013 11:20 pm

What British newspaper would you recommend for a person to read?

islandwoman120 Sep 25th 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10916441)
What British newspaper would you recommend for a person to read?

The Independent.

islandwoman120 Sep 25th 2013 11:29 am

This is to get us talking again - it's too quiet here at the moment :)

http://billmoyers.com/2013/09/20/by-...-middle-class/

cheers Sep 25th 2013 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10916503)
The Independent.

Thanks

Giantaxe Sep 25th 2013 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10916222)
So I just got a charge on my American Express credit card from Hertz for a traffic offense- "Bus Lane", thats it??? I don't give away $185 that easy but as we know they have the credit card so they can dip into it as they feel like it.

£117 which equals $185.34

I successfully fought one of these bus lane charges with my credit card company. Europcar sent me the citation, but it was sent one day before the deadline for appealing it. It was easy to see from the paperwork that they had taken almost three weeks from the time they received it to get around to sending it to me. I contested the charge on the grounds that my ability to appeal the charge had been removed by Europcar's tardiness - for which they had charged me a service fee, of course!

Had I been able to I would have contested the charge. The picture in the citation clearly showed that I was making a left turn, with my indicator on, across the bus lane, something which is perfectly legal. Of course these citations are spat out by computer and nobody reviews them. And there is every incentive for the third party companies that handle them to generate as many as possible and hope that people just pay them.

TheEmperorIsNaked Sep 25th 2013 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10918006)
I successfully fought one of these bus lane charges with my credit card company. Europcar sent me the citation, but it was sent one day before the deadline for appealing it. It was easy to see from the paperwork that they had taken almost three weeks from the time they received it to get around to sending it to me. I contested the charge on the grounds that my ability to appeal the charge had been removed by Europcar's tardiness - for which they had charged me a service fee, of course!

Had I been able to I would have contested the charge. The picture in the citation clearly showed that I was making a left turn, with my indicator on, across the bus lane, something which is perfectly legal. Of course these citations are spat out by computer and nobody reviews them. And there is every incentive for the third party companies that handle them to generate as many as possible and hope that people just pay them.

We have a problem here with privately run public carparks. I actually saw this bozo mark my car before the time period was up! They bank on the fact that people will not know when the ticket was issued. This 'infringement' notice is designed to look like a Council ticket.

It is invalid even if outside the time limit. I took them on, (it even got on the telly, but I refused to have my mug shown. Not fear, just privacy). They finally told me never to park in one of their carparks again.

I have of course. The twerp that owns the company has been to court so many times to answer charges, that they have fitted a revolving door for him!

Professional integrity today seems to be seen as a mugs game.

Edit: Australia.

bandrui Sep 26th 2013 5:53 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10917188)
This is to get us talking again - it's too quiet here at the moment :)

http://billmoyers.com/2013/09/20/by-...-middle-class/

Well, we know who got all the money! Bank bailouts and corporations.

The situation in Canada is not much better:

http://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=...98%E2%8C%A9=en

Interesting that the lower end of median (middle class) income in US is poverty level in Canada.

In terms of disposable income and lifestyle choices, I feel I was better off in my 20s than I am now:ohmy:. Ok, so I have a house, but that money is not helping me until I sell it.

dontheturner Sep 26th 2013 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10912731)
Went very well so far, Dh got here 10 days later, jet lag worn off, two app for NHS jobs in and a friend who thinks she can get me in where she is, so fingers crossed.
Dh unfortunately is starting with another episode of the illness he has so will see the doc tomorrow, already signed up, so should be OK. He just needs back on his meds asap and all will be well.
Other than that alls well.
I got roped into looking after a sick neighbors cat while she's off recovering. Everyone is so friendly in our little street. I have to go and feed him let him in the house and lock him up for the night and feed and let him out in the morning. Cheeky little thing figured out where we live and follows us home, he came in through the open living room window this afternoon looking for some company.

I can't wait for this tonight. I'm getting Dd off to bed and making a cup of tea and getting some biscuits and taking over the family room to watch. Dh is going to be banned to the front room to watch something else. :lol:

Hello Pauline! Good to see you're home at last! - Just need your Hubby to get fixed up --_But As I only dip on here now and again, Can we pop by, for a break? - Only joking, but we are close to hand. Want to ring me? 01952 877285---- Love Don & Tim.