British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Sep 8th 2013 11:09 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Do the sons have Californian accents? I wouldn't think they would. They must have British driving licenses by now?
DD is only 8 and she has her own computer??
Where are you staying?
When does the household goods arrive?
Corwyn huh? A really nice place!
Again...was the plane full?
Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Sep 8th 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10891120)
great to hear about your reunion with your sons, it must have been great for you, pauline its as great Idea to have refresher course or two for driving on the British roads, I was thinking, as you are able to drive on your U.S. driving licence for one year in the U.K. then you have to take a driving test and written test to apply for a new UK licence, any thoughts on that? my U.S. licence is still valid, but as I dont have a car, and never intend to drive here in UK it dont bother me, so I wont have to worry about that!!! but if I did then going through all that stress would be so hard for me at my age.

I've still got my paper UK license I'm going to send it in for renewal for a photo one, and the address still won't change from the paper one, I think it should be OK. I have a CA license and so does Dh he'll drive on that then take his test.

Both boys have US accents, but they are fading, they loose it from working and dealing with the public, like I did with my UK accent and working in US.

fulwood Sep 8th 2013 4:53 pm

Do you have house that you kept while in US? just wodered where you may be staying. Very happy for you..

cheers Sep 8th 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10891431)
I've still got my paper UK license I'm going to send it in for renewal for a photo one, and the address still won't change from the paper one, I think it should be OK. I have a CA license and so does Dh he'll drive on that then take his test.

Both boys have US accents, but they are fading, they loose it from working and dealing with the public, like I did with my UK accent and working in US.

I think you have mentioned that the boys are happy living in the UK. Do they have steady girlfriends?

Was the plane full?

I hope you had a nice Sunday now you have been back for a week.

Cheers

Celticspirit Sep 8th 2013 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10890967)
You'll have to catch me first :lol:
I don't have my proper computer set up yet (my trusty Mac) and am posting on my laptop that I share with Dd, so can't put up any pictures yet.
I took a few of us on the way here.
I spent yesterday with both my boys, haven't seen the younger one since he got here in July 2012 and the older one since Jan 2012, so we had lots to chat about and had a lovely meal out. I had Steak and ale pie, you could tell it was a proper homemade one. Good old pub restaurant :thumbsup: Strange to sit there with them drinking a beer while we ate. Seeing the younger one came here after high school graduation.
Today older Ds and I are going shopping (he's driving me) younger one is working. Then school for Dd monday, and a driving refresher lesson on Tuesday and I hope to be on the road alone Wednesday and able to get more done during school hours.
Can't wait for Dh to join us, he's at my friends house in her spare room working his notice and getting rid of our cars.
I kept thinking to myself while slogging through Heathrow (which to me seems to be a complete mess if you have to change terminals) "thank god I don't have to do the return journey"

Heathrow was my nightmare last year going coming from Dallas/Moscow/Heathrow/Belfast/Heathrow/Dallas. Having to change terminals, which unlike Gatwick, one has a long walk to the domestic terminal and catch a regular train which ends up in central London if you miss your stop. There are no skycaps and getting on and off the train with luggage is so horrible.....at least at my age. Glad you have that behind you.

Celticspirit Sep 8th 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10891554)
I think you have mentioned that the boys are happy living in the UK. Do they have steady girlfriends?

Was the plane full?

I hope you had a nice Sunday now you have been back for a week.

Cheers

Cheers, I love your questions!!!!

cheers Sep 8th 2013 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10891647)

Yes but she won't answer me:)

feelbritish Sep 8th 2013 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10891692)

Give her time, she is probably having a snooze or a booze :rofl: Sunday today and the pubs do amazing roast lunches :thumbsup:

feelbritish Sep 8th 2013 8:57 pm

How to feel patriotic!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py1U5...&feature=share

jasper123 Sep 8th 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10891431)

Great Pauline that you still kept your UK old paper licence, you should have no probs at all renewing it for a new photo licence, good for you!!!!

Celticspirit Sep 8th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10891749)

I loved it. Was there in Albert Hall once many years ago. 1812 Overture with real canons were deafening. Loved they showed my hometown at Titanic Slipways too.

jasper123 Sep 8th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10891749)

WOW!!!! absolutely incredible, I loved the clip, 13 minutes of first class entertainment, and now I feel VERY patriotic, thank you for that!!!!

and after that finished I looked at other clips on that same page on you tube and WOW I watched the new Katy Perry music video (ROAR) and WOW!!!! I loved this video, it was so well made, and really exciting, I felt like I wanted to go right out and buy it, has anyone out there seen this video yet? give yourself a treat and watch it.
Thanks feelbritish.

aries Sep 9th 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10891646)
Heathrow was my nightmare last year going coming from Dallas/Moscow/Heathrow/Belfast/Heathrow/Dallas. Having to change terminals, which unlike Gatwick, one has a long walk to the domestic terminal and catch a regular train which ends up in central London if you miss your stop. There are no skycaps and getting on and off the train with luggage is so horrible.....at least at my age. Glad you have that behind you.

A few weeks ago arriving at Heathrow's Terminal 5 from Frankfurt, I had to go by special underground train to passport check and collect my luggage :blink: Quite bizarre, but better than walking along a seemingly endless passage.

But then very easy to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station. :thumbsup:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 9th 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10891647)

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10891692)

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10891745)
Give her time, she is probably having a snooze or a booze :rofl: Sunday today and the pubs do amazing roast lunches :thumbsup:

:lol: I'm cleaning house and trying to get things organized, so much stuff and very little storage.
The plane seemed really full, they said 300 odd people. We had seats upstairs, it was a 747. I'd never been upstairs before, it was lovely and quiet, no roaring engines like when you are in the back in the cheap seats like we fly.
I got back Thursday, so not a week yet.
Trying to figure out the timing of the laundry so I can dry it outside, I have a line full and think once I'm working, it'll get a bit tough to do.
I have a one off driving lesson tomorrow, need to get a quick refresher and a lesson on roundabouts. :lol:

lf1 Sep 9th 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10892550)
:lol: I'm cleaning house and trying to get things organized, so much stuff and very little storage.
The plane seemed really full, they said 300 odd people. We had seats upstairs, it was a 747. I'd never been upstairs before, it was lovely and quiet, no roaring engines like when you are in the back in the cheap seats like we fly.
I got back Thursday, so not a week yet.
Trying to figure out the timing of the laundry so I can dry it outside, I have a line full and think once I'm working, it'll get a bit tough to do.
I have a one off driving lesson tomorrow, need to get a quick refresher and a lesson on roundabouts. :lol:

Glad you are settling in. Good luck with the washing. I am currently on a visit to Calgary and the apartment that I am staying in has a top loading washing machine. I haven't used one for years and I am reminded about how much I dislike them. Can't wait to get back to my trusty front loader which does a great job of spinning the clothes.

MITF, in addition to driving lessons I also found picking up a copy of the Highway Code to be helpful. It has some good diagrams for using roundabouts. I imagine that it is available online these days.:)