British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Sep 17th 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

People are influence by Hollywood. A 90 minute war film and its all wrapped up and we go home to our comfortable home and have a peaceful nights sleep.

I was thinking that they should have a parade in Washington and have all the ex servicemen who have been injured parade for the world to see. That would wake people up.

Has American ever won a war that they fought alone?

Tell me about the war of US Independence, was that colonists against colonists? I don't think they won it because the Brits held out in what is now Canada. Something to think about.

From what I have heard I like the speeches of Ron Paul. Not all Americans think the same way I grant you that.

bandrui Sep 17th 2013 8:06 pm

I thought of us all on both sides of the Atlantic when I saw this video. Some interesting statistics on health care:

http://www.upworthy.com/his-first-4-...-little-sick-2

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 18th 2013 3:51 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10905434)
I thought of us all on both sides of the Atlantic when I saw this video. Some interesting statistics on health care:

http://www.upworthy.com/his-first-4-...-little-sick-2

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, it all makes sense to me.

bandrui Sep 19th 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10905993)

Kinda scary, eh?

mikelincs Sep 19th 2013 6:37 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10905034)
People are influence by Hollywood. A 90 minute war film and its all wrapped up and we go home to our comfortable home and have a peaceful nights sleep.

I was thinking that they should have a parade in Washington and have all the ex servicemen who have been injured parade for the world to see. That would wake people up.

Tell me about the war of US Independence, was that colonists against colonists? I don't think they won it because the Brits held out in what is now Canada. Something to think about.

From what I have heard I like the speeches of Ron Paul. Not all Americans think the same way I grant you that.

War of Independence??

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 19th 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10907659)
Kinda scary, eh?

Its nothing I didn't already know as I have lots of interest in this subject and follow it closely, it was just nice for someone to put that info in one package...

Its nice that our politicians Love Govt healthcare for themselves but dont want us to have it...

dunroving Sep 19th 2013 7:24 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10907742)
War of Independence??

Didn't the French help them win that one?

Mallory Sep 19th 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10900257)
Monday night.

I hope hubby made it to North Wales okay? :fingerscrossed:

Bud the Wiser Sep 19th 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10905034)

The Civil War. :D

Mallory Sep 19th 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10891782)
I loved it. Was there in Albert Hall once many years ago. 1812 Overture with real canons were deafening. Loved they showed my hometown at Titanic Slipways too.

I was at the Albert Hall years ago too - Joan Baez concert! :)

cheers Sep 19th 2013 3:10 pm

Made my day it has.

Seeing rain in London live. http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

also..

some of our old gang have posted today on another web? called 'arrived back in Edinburgh' Nice to know they are still around.

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Sep 19th 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10908072)
I hope hubby made it to North Wales okay? :fingerscrossed:

Oh yes, a couple of hours late, but all in one piece and nothing missing. He was exhausted and we've been trying to do all those bits and pieces, got him sighed up at the doctors today and realized the woman doing it was in school with me, same year LOL.
Next is a call to National insurance number line to get his found. That'll be tomorrow.
I applied for two NHS Jobs so keep your fingers crossed, and I'm meeting my old best friend from when we were 4 all the way through high school she might have work for me. We'll see.
I broke my Mums car all kinds of lights came on, went to the really nice local garage he fixed it £35 all done.
On top of that Dh fixed the plumbing, and the front door, and we cleaned the whole house put stuff in the attic and did the grocery shopping, I'm exhausted now and still have dinner to cook.
Not sure we have time for jobs. :lol:

cheers Sep 19th 2013 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=Mummy in the foothills;10908484]Oh yes, a couple of hours late, but all in one piece and nothing missing. He was exhausted and we've been trying to do all those bits and pieces, got him sighed up at the doctors today and realized the woman doing it was in school with me, same year LOL.
Next is a call to National insurance number line to get his found. That'll be tomorrow.
I applied for two NHS Jobs so keep your fingers crossed, and I'm meeting my old best friend from when we were 4 all the way through high school she might have work for me. We'll see.
I broke my Mums car all kinds of lights came on, went to the really nice local garage he fixed it £35 all done.
On top of that Dh fixed the plumbing, and the front door, and we cleaned the whole house put stuff in the attic and did the grocery shopping, I'm exhausted now and still have dinner to cook.
Not sure we have time for jobs. :lol:[/Q

Thank you for the update.
Tell us about the house you are living in?

jasper123 Sep 19th 2013 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10905993)

Me too fish,
thanks banduri, after watching this video it made me realize even more how absolutely pleased and thankful and fortunate I feel that Im a senior citizen living in the U.K. -------- finally!!! :britflag: :D

lf1 Sep 19th 2013 11:29 pm

The new season of Downton Abbey starts on Sunday @ 9.00 pm.
Yeah!!!