British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Sep 6th 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10889401)
I wish we could see pictures of ze rain.

You avin' une touch of ze Joey Bar-tons?

jasper123 Sep 6th 2013 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10887966)

Thanks cheers, I read the story, it was very interesting!!!!
But nope I dont know either of these Women.

cheers Sep 7th 2013 2:28 am

Did the 6th series Dr Martin show last Sunday in the Uk?
How about the new series of Downton Abbey, did it start last Sunday?

islandwoman120 Sep 7th 2013 7:30 am

Welcome back Mummy! It is wet here in Devon too - but not pouring yet.

Cheers - want rain? Turn on your faucet/tap - it looks a bit like that wet stuff...:D

Lorac05 Sep 7th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10889785)
Did the 6th series Dr Martin show last Sunday in the Uk?
How about the new series of Downton Abbey, did it start last Sunday?

Doc Martin started last Monday - the 2nd September.

The new series of Downton does not start until Sunday September 22nd - a new trailer has started showing for it - I can't wait.

Though with that and Strictly come Dancing starting there is no doubt Autumn is here and Christmas won't be far behind ;)

mikelincs Sep 7th 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 10890015)

The new series of Downton does not start until Sunday September 22nd - a new trailer has started showing for it - I can't wait.

Though with that and Strictly come Dancing starting there is no doubt Autumn is here and Christmas won't be far behind ;)

Dancinbg on Ice wil be back after christmas, but it's the final series, Torville and Dean have said that it's getting too much as they get older, it will be 30 years since they won dancing to Bolero.

cheers Sep 7th 2013 1:50 pm

Yep, they have the Christmas stuff in Costco as of a couple of weeks ago.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 7th 2013 8:58 pm

I must watch the catch up episode of Doc Martin, I'm behind a week on Corrie so can't watch till I get that caught up too.

Sally Redux Sep 7th 2013 9:02 pm

Glad you got there OK, Mummy! Have fun.

cheers Sep 7th 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10890565)
Glad you got there OK, Mummy! Have fun.

Yep, but she isn't sayin much.
if things don't change we are going to have to put her on the next stagecoach back to the Foothills;)

Bud the Wiser Sep 7th 2013 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10889550)
You avin' une touch of ze Joey Bar-tons?

:D:D:D

Sally Redux Sep 7th 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10890572)
if things don't change we are going to have to put her on the next stagecoach back to the Foothills;)

:lol: Let's hope not.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 8th 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10890572)

You'll have to catch me first :lol:
I don't have my proper computer set up yet (my trusty Mac) and am posting on my laptop that I share with Dd, so can't put up any pictures yet.
I took a few of us on the way here.
I spent yesterday with both my boys, haven't seen the younger one since he got here in July 2012 and the older one since Jan 2012, so we had lots to chat about and had a lovely meal out. I had Steak and ale pie, you could tell it was a proper homemade one. Good old pub restaurant :thumbsup: Strange to sit there with them drinking a beer while we ate. Seeing the younger one came here after high school graduation.
Today older Ds and I are going shopping (he's driving me) younger one is working. Then school for Dd monday, and a driving refresher lesson on Tuesday and I hope to be on the road alone Wednesday and able to get more done during school hours.
Can't wait for Dh to join us, he's at my friends house in her spare room working his notice and getting rid of our cars.
I kept thinking to myself while slogging through Heathrow (which to me seems to be a complete mess if you have to change terminals) "thank god I don't have to do the return journey"

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 8th 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10890967)
I don't have my proper computer set up yet (my trusty Mac) and am posting on my laptop that I share with Dd, so can't put up any pictures yet.
I spent yesterday with both my boys, haven't seen the younger one since he got here in July 2012 and the older one since Jan 2012, so we had lots to chat about and had a lovely meal out. I had Steak and ale pie, you could tell it was a proper homemade one. Good old pub restaurant :thumbsup: Strange to sit there with them drinking a beer while we ate. Seeing the younger one came here after high school graduation.
Today older Ds and I are going shopping (he's driving me) younger one is working. Then school for Dd monday, and a driving refresher lesson on Tuesday and I hope to be on the road alone Wednesday and able to get more done during school hours.
Can't wait for Dh to join us, he's at my friends house in her spare room working his notice and getting rid of our cars.
I kept thinking to myself while slogging through Heathrow (which to me seems to be a complete mess if you have to change terminals) "thank god I don't have to do the return journey"

Your Location says North Wales, That's Fab... I used to live in Wales, a small village in South Yorkshire...

Steak n ale Pie, Now you are getting to me...lol...

The refresher driving lesson is a great idea, things do change over time...

No return Journey? hahahaaaa Good for you, we all wish we were there with you...

I didn't know it had been that long since seeing your sons, Wow what a reunion...

jasper123 Sep 8th 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10890967)

great to hear about your reunion with your sons, it must have been great for you, pauline its as great Idea to have refresher course or two for driving on the British roads, I was thinking, as you are able to drive on your U.S. driving licence for one year in the U.K. then you have to take a driving test and written test to apply for a new UK licence, any thoughts on that? my U.S. licence is still valid, but as I dont have a car, and never intend to drive here in UK it dont bother me, so I wont have to worry about that!!! but if I did then going through all that stress would be so hard for me at my age.