British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

WhoFan63 Mar 26th 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10625338)
I think a heatwave in the UK is when there are two days or more of 25º C, not that I've seen it at this level since I've been back. It has amazed me to see people wearing next to nothing at 20º C when in South Australia in the summer it would be a cold spell. :D

LOL I agree.. :) I lived in Perth for over 30 years, so anything under 30 degrees C was wonderful...LOL

Although if I remember rightly from what I've seen on the weather channel..it can be 25 degrees and have 95% humidity. So it would almost feel like I was back in Oz.. :eek:

Here in AZ I'm the same during the 'Winter'. People are rugging up and I'm walking around in shorts and a t-shirt. They stare at me like I'm crazy..LOL

Mummy in the foothills Mar 26th 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10625354)
LOL I agree.. :) I lived in Perth for over 30 years, so anything under 30 degrees C was wonderful...LOL

Although if I remember rightly from what I've seen on the weather channel..it can be 25 degrees and have 95% humidity. So it would almost feel like I was back in Oz.. :eek:

Here in AZ I'm the same during the 'Winter'. People are rugging up and I'm walking around in shorts and a t-shirt. They stare at me like I'm crazy..LOL

It's 21 today and I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve tee :lol: In UK I'd have been in short sleeves, I think it's going to take me a while to get acclimatized.
Although I like long sleeves and jeans so maybe I'll get used to funny looks from the Brits. Now humidity might have me peeling off layers.

WhoFan63 Mar 26th 2013 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10625597)
It's 21 today and I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve tee :lol: In UK I'd have been in short sleeves, I think it's going to take me a while to get acclimatized.
Although I like long sleeves and jeans so maybe I'll get used to funny looks from the Brits. Now humidity might have me peeling off layers.

Just don't peel off too much or else your introduction back into UK life will be from the inside of a jail cell.. :rofl::eek:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 27th 2013 1:52 am

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10625604)
Just don't peel off too much or else your introduction back into UK life will be from the inside of a jail cell.. :rofl::eek:

They'll avert their eyes and throw a blanket over me while laughing hysterically at my age.:lol:

lf1 Mar 27th 2013 7:56 am

On a short visit to Palm Springs, one January, I, along with a few others, was sitting by the pool wearing a swimming costume enjoying the warmth of the sun. The locals pointed out that we must be from Canada as it was too cold for the locals to be sitting by the pool.:lol:

dontheturner Mar 27th 2013 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10625597)

Don't worry about your clothing , Mummy - Think of Tippawan - in 5 layers of woollies, even on a HOT day! - and we have the central heating on at 72 degrees.........(21)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 27th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10626148)
Don't worry about your clothing , Mummy - Think of Tippawan - in 5 layers of woollies, even on a HOT day! - and we have the central heating on at 72 degrees.........(21)

I'm with Tippawan, I heat the house to about 70 while wearing a jumper. Dh shivers at anything below 70, he's afraid he will actually freeze to death in UK, I can see we will have big bills :eek:

cheers Mar 27th 2013 3:29 pm

New subject.

I'm reading about people in isulated areas of the UK being stranded with vehicles unable to get through. Trotty being one of them. Why don't the emergency services have snow mobiles? I can only think it is because they cost so much and this heavy snow is rare??

WhoFan63 Mar 27th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10626949)
I'm with Tippawan, I heat the house to about 70 while wearing a jumper. Dh shivers at anything below 70, he's afraid he will actually freeze to death in UK, I can see we will have big bills :eek:

Just put extra clothing on and leave the thermostat where it is.. LOL :)

J.JsOH Mar 27th 2013 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10626114)
On a short visit to Palm Springs, one January, I, along with a few others, was sitting by the pool wearing a swimming costume enjoying the warmth of the sun. The locals pointed out that we must be from Canada as it was too cold for the locals to be sitting by the pool.:lol:

lol, yes, when on winter visit to Puerto Rico and I was by the pool in shorts and the locals are parading around in their best fur coats,

It's freezing here today in Norfolk yet the cycling postman is wearing shorts.

WhoFan63 Mar 27th 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10627223)
lol, yes, when on winter visit to Puerto Rico and I was by the pool in shorts and the locals are parading around in their best fur coats,

The exercise is probably keeping him warm.. LOL That's dedication :thumbsup:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 27th 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10627223)

Brrr I remember High School PE used to send us out running in cold in shorts, I'd be sweating and my legs were still blue :o

lf1 Mar 27th 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10627380)
Brrr I remember High School PE used to send us out running in cold in shorts, I'd be sweating and my legs were still blue :o

It has just been advertised on ITV that a new episode of "Endeavour" will be aired soon. Also, a new series of Scott & Bailey will be showing in the next little while.

dunroving Mar 27th 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10627478)
It has just been advertised on ITV that a new episode of "Endeavour" will be aired soon. Also, a new series of Scott & Bailey will be showing in the next little while.

I like Scott and Bailey - makes a change for a police drama to have two smart female leads surrounded by a support cast of inept men. ;)

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 27th 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10627478)

Scott n Bailey starts on PBS in my area this week.

Only seen one Endeavour, would love them to show more.