British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Derrygal Sep 4th 2013 7:50 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 10885554)
That's the other thing. Don't know where to move to. I'm from the Airdrie area initially, between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Quite fancy something in the Trossachs or Perthsire, somewhere rural. But as we age we want to be near good medical facilities.

My late mum came from Airdrie. In fact, I still have an auntie and cousins there. It isn't the nicest part of Scotland. My sister lives in Fife and loves it there. That's somewhere to consider and it is fairly close to Edinburgh.

cheers Sep 4th 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10885877)
try BSPC as sometimes there are a few properties that are not listed on Right Move.

:

What is BSPC? Nothing came up?

cheers Sep 4th 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Only a few hours before Mommy leaves San Francisco? She must have mixed feelings.

Cheers

lf1 Sep 4th 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10885978)
What is BSPC? Nothing came up?

Cheers, here is the link http://www.bspc.co.uk/. The solicitors in Scotland market and sell most of the homes in Scotland. This is a site where they post the properties for sale, most will normally be on Right Move, but there is the occasional property that is not advertised there. All of the various regions in Scotland have similar websites for the regional solicitors.:)

cheers Sep 5th 2013 2:33 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Just watched the film "gettingTrumped". Just shows the power of Trump money.
I think there were comments about the Scottish National Party and that the local people in Scotland say they are an arm of Donald Trump.

cheers Sep 5th 2013 2:34 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Just looked up how Mummy is doing and she is about 30,000 feet and on her way to Heathrow.

She is over Idaho now.

lf1 Sep 5th 2013 3:06 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10886426)
Just watched the film "gettingTrumped". Just shows the power of Trump money.
I think there were comments about the Scottish National Party and that the local people in Scotland say they are an arm of Donald Trump.

I think Trump and Salmond were pretty pally at some stage, but I think they disagreed over wind turbines, so the relationship cooled. I can't stand either one of them, so I haven't really followed their story and what I have just stated could be nothing more than media sound bites. Having said that, I will give Salmond his due, he has a better hairdo than Trump.:lol:

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 5th 2013 5:54 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10886426)
Just watched the film "gettingTrumped". Just shows the power of Trump money.
I think there were comments about the Scottish National Party and that the local people in Scotland say they are an arm of Donald Trump.

I used to like Trump, Today I cant stand him, he has built a golf course in Scotland while upsetting the people who have lived there for decades, his treatment of some locals is awful, piling mounds of dift near their homes so it purposely spoils their view, money has given him the power to bend a few arms, its very sad, People like him should not be allowed to do anything in the UK, I could go on but whats the point...

The wealthy and powerful have too much control over our lives...

cheers Sep 5th 2013 8:46 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10886590)
I used to like Trump, Today I cant stand him, he has built a golf course in Scotland while upsetting the people who have lived there for decades, his treatment of some locals is awful, piling mounds of dift near their homes so it purposely spoils their view, money has given him the power to bend a few arms, its very sad, People like him should not be allowed to do anything in the UK, I could go on but whats the point...

The wealthy and powerful have too much control over our lives...

He probably has UK citizenship through his mother?

Wealth you say? I no longer refer to the elected in Washington as Senators or Representatives but as the "millionaires" in Washington.

Karrie72 Sep 5th 2013 10:24 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10885959)
My late mum came from Airdrie. In fact, I still have an auntie and cousins there. It isn't the nicest part of Scotland. My sister lives in Fife and loves it there. That's somewhere to consider and it is fairly close to Edinburgh.

My mother is from there also. I seem to remember the countryside outside Aidrie being very beautiful from my visits as a child.

dunroving Sep 5th 2013 12:25 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10885959)
My late mum came from Airdrie. In fact, I still have an auntie and cousins there. It isn't the nicest part of Scotland. My sister lives in Fife and loves it there. That's somewhere to consider and it is fairly close to Edinburgh.

I've visited Fife (mostly south part - Kirkcaldy area) several times as I worked on a consultancy with the Council for about 4 years. In fact I was back there this past Monday! From this experience and knowledge from a friend who grew up there, I'd say Fife has a lot going for it, too.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 5th 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10886753)
He probably has UK citizenship through his mother?

Wealth you say? I no longer refer to the elected in Washington as Senators or Representatives but as the "millionaires" in Washington.

Because they truly are...

Hotscot Sep 5th 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
As mentioned I'm from the Airdrie area but I wouldn't move back there. The countryside around it is quite nice but the towns are so deteriorated because of the big stores having taken the heart from the main streets.
Now there's countless clubs, charity shops, poundstretchers, graffiti, litter, and loads of wee yobs hanging around.
Basically it's a dump.

I'm tending to think Crieff, Comrie, Pitlochry, or somewhere near Callandar. I would love to be near the sea on the West Coast, to watch sunsets, and was thinking on the road that goes down the coast between Fort Wullie and Oban but I don't know enough about that area yet.

Hotscot Sep 5th 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
As mentioned I'm from the Airdrie area but I wouldn't move back there. The countryside around it is quite nice but the towns are so deteriorated because of the big stores having taken the heart from the main streets.
Now there's countless clubs, charity shops, poundstretchers, graffiti, litter, and loads of wee yobs hanging around.
Basically it's a dump.

I'm tending to think Crieff, Comrie, Pitlochry, or somewhere near Callandar. I would love to be near the sea on the West Coast, to watch sunsets, and was thinking on the road that goes down the coast between Fort Wullie and Oban but I don't know enough about that area yet.

cheers Sep 5th 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
Mummy leaves Heathrow for Manchester in 5 minutes. Yahoo!


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.