British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

NiHao Sep 5th 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

So excited for her!! Can't wait to hear what her first impressions of being back are.

cheers Sep 5th 2013 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by NiHao (Post 10887539)
So excited for her!! Can't wait to hear what her first impressions of being back are.

If I got it right it was 80 degrees in London and raining in Manchester and a lot of other areas.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 5th 2013 8:51 pm

I'm back.
Coming into London I was very surprised how brown all the normally green fields looked, I wasn't expecting that. Although I know it was a hot summer. Coming into Manchester was much more lush and green, so I assume the south had a hotter dryer summer.
Oh and Manchester you need pound coins for the trolleys in the luggage retrival, all I had was some Euros and Dollars and a credit card. So there was me, Dd (8) and three huge checked cases, two carry ons and two coats, that was a tough one. But we managed to get through the one way doors without loosing anyone or anything.
One brand new case was split, and one old case was split. the only unscathed one was a samsonite I found on clearance in Marshalls. I guess you really do get what you pay for. :lol:

jasper123 Sep 5th 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10886753)
He probably has UK citizenship through his mother?

Wealth you say? I no longer refer to the elected in Washington as Senators or Representatives but as the "millionaires" in Washington.

Same thing cheers in London, all politicians here are Millionaires, but I think the filthy rich are the Peers or whatever they call them in the house of lords, theres about 600 of the useless little rich blighters getting £68,000 per year each for just showing up a few days a week when they feel like it, dressed up in there little red outfits and frilly shirts, they are not voted in by the public or anyone else, and they can never be voted out until they die, but government is slowly trying to change that part where sometime in the far distant future :eek: they may be successful in passing a bill that will only allow them to serve for a limited term like 8 years before they have to go to a public vote, don't think it will ever happen though, I mean its been that way for hundreds of years I think, at present when these very wealthy people die someone in there family takes over like there son or cousin, but they have to be male :eek: now whats that all about? Im afraid womans lib has not extended over to that department!!!! ------- YET!!!!

cheers Sep 5th 2013 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10887828)
Same thing cheers in London, all politicians here are Millionaires, but I think the filthy rich are the Peers or whatever they call them in the house of lords, theres about 600 of the useless little rich blighters getting £68,000 per year for just showing up a few days a week when they feel like it, dressed up in there red outfits and frilly shirts, they are not voted in by the public or anyone else, and they can never be voted out until they die, but government is slowly trying to change that part where sometime in the far distant future :eek: they may be successful in passing a bill that will only allow them to serve for a limited term like 8 years before they have to go to a public vote, don't think it will ever happen though, I mean its been that way for hundreds of years I think, at present when these very wealthy people die someone in there family takes over like there son or cousin, but they have to be male :eek: now whats that all about? Im afraid womans lib has not extended over to that department!!!! ------- YET!!!!

I was trying to send you a newspaper clipping yesterday about this girl of Filipino origin who was employed in timeshare in Las Vegas. Do you know her??:):)
She and her partner, an officer in the US Air Force, were the first to apply for dependants benefits at Nellis AFB.

curleytops Sep 5th 2013 9:39 pm

Hey Cheers, what was that you were saying about the traffic in Kent? Have a look at these photos, glad I'm up north!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-pile-up.html

dunroving Sep 5th 2013 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10887811)
I'm back.
Coming into London I was very surprised how brown all the normally green fields looked, I wasn't expecting that. Although I know it was a hot summer. Coming into Manchester was much more lush and green, so I assume the south had a hotter dryer summer.
Oh and Manchester you need pound coins for the trolleys in the luggage retrival, all I had was some Euros and Dollars and a credit card. So there was me, Dd (8) and three huge checked cases, two carry ons and two coats, that was a tough one. But we managed to get through the one way doors without loosing anyone or anything.
One brand new case was split, and one old case was split. the only unscathed one was a samsonite I found on clearance in Marshalls. I guess you really do get what you pay for. :lol:

Welcome back - get the G n' T on!

Englishmum Sep 5th 2013 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10887886)
Hey Cheers, what was that you were saying about the traffic in Kent? Have a look at these photos, glad I'm up north!

I arrived at Dover via a P&O ferry from Calais at approx 4.00pm today (I drove up from Switzerland with a day at Disneyland Paris with my daughter and granddaughter). I left Dover via the M20 motorway to join the M25....on the opposite side of the M20 in the Ashford vicinity, the southbound carriage way was closed: I saw a motorbike which was entirely crushed, the police were taking measurements AKAIK and I assume the biker had been killed :(

There was a 12 mile queue of stationary traffic, people were standing outside their cars and had clearly been there for quite some time. I imagine that many drivers missed their ferry and Eurotrain crossings to France.

Englishmum Sep 5th 2013 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10887907)
Welcome back - get the G n' T on!

Ditto! Welcome home Mummy!

jasper123 Sep 5th 2013 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10887856)
I was trying to send you a newspaper clipping yesterday about this girl of Filipino origin who was employed in timeshare in Las Vegas. Do you know her??:):)
She and her partner, an officer in the US Air Force, were the first to apply for dependants benefits at Nellis AFB.

cheers try and send me the clipping if you can, I know scores of filipino women in the timeshare industry in Vegas, they seem to love the business!!!! most are pretty darn good at it too!!!

jasper123 Sep 5th 2013 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10887930)
Ditto! Welcome home Mummy!

ditto from me too mummy ---- welcome home, :drinkwine::beer::welcome: yes its been a rather hot summer down south with very little rain unfortunately, a little wetter up north, today it was 30c in portsmouth, they say its the hottest september day here since 2006,
so settle in, relax, and so glad you have your lap top so you can post, how did you get internet access so quickly?

cheers Sep 5th 2013 10:38 pm

Did you see those hundreds of Lawyers waiting there.:D

The Volvo, Audi looked good and also the cars on the two car carriers escaped undamaged.

Fortunately no one got caught driving in their sleep ware.

Thanks for the pictures. we were in that area 6 weeks ago and I commented to the family at the time that when they have accidents there in Britain they break records.

I'm so glad no one was killed.

Cheers

cheers Sep 5th 2013 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10887936)
cheers try and send me the clipping if you can, I know scores of filipino women in the timeshare industry in Vegas, they seem to love the business!!!! most are pretty darn good at it too!!!

Her it is.......

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/mi...enefits-nellis

cheers Sep 5th 2013 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10887811)
I'm back.

I asked on another thread if your flight was full? The reason I asked is my son in law was all smiles when he flew Virgin to and from Las Vegas and he said there was plenty of room to lay down and sleep. We were on British and every seat was taken.
How is the house you bought?
It will take about a week to recover so take it easy and give a lot of attention to DD.

lf1 Sep 5th 2013 10:55 pm

+1. Upthread, I was just saying to Dunroving that is one of things I like about the Borders - lack of traffic. In early July we drove down to S Wales and the driving was a bit scary around the Liverpool area. The rout from N Wales down to Tenby was fine as it wasn't a motorway.