British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui Sep 12th 2013 8:13 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10891749)

And we're all singing at the tops of our voices!

Perth Sep 12th 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10891753)
Great Pauline that you still kept your UK old paper licence, you should have no probs at all renewing it for a new photo licence, good for you!!!!

I still have mine, although I have not driven over there since 1981 - yikes!

Perth Sep 12th 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10897203)
And we're all singing at the tops of our voices!

+1 :britflag:

cheers Sep 14th 2013 1:54 am

So Mummies husband should have joined her now in North Wales.

Quiet here, yes?

Any rain? We've had about 6 days of rain along with thunder. It was wonderful. The temps have dropped to below 100 fortunately.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 14th 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10900088)

Quiet here, yes?

Any rain? We've had about 6 days of rain along with thunder. It was wonderful. The temps have dropped to below 100 fortunately.

Monday night.

jasper123 Sep 14th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10900088)

Quiet here, yes?

Glad you enjoyed the rain cheers where you are and the temps are dropping below 100 :eek: reminds me of Vegas, which these days I hardly spare a thought to ;)
Here today all over UK the temps were bang on 60 for a high!!! I love it, its been a dry warm sunny summer this year, but the last few days we have had a few down pours, which is a welcome relief, and the garden loves all that rain, and so do I :D

cheers Sep 16th 2013 7:49 pm

2013 Life in America.

I just got off the phone with American Express. Have you ever had a conversation with corporate America with the representative being gushy? It was sickening!

"Have a very wonderful day" and it went on and on. Why?:eek:

cheers Sep 16th 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10901175)
Glad you enjoyed the rain cheers where you are and the temps are dropping below 100 :eek: reminds me of Vegas, which these days I hardly spare a thought to ;)
Here today all over UK the temps were bang on 60 for a high!!! I love it, its been a dry warm sunny summer this year, but the last few days we have had a few down pours, which is a welcome relief, and the garden loves all that rain, and so do I :D

I'm jealous! We are over the rain now and the temperatures are falling to less than 100 and down to the 60's during the night.

I was down in Las Vegas last Thursday. No change. Same old traffic jams.

A friend told me that the Farmers Almanac says we are going to have a more than normal amount of snow this winter.

Rosie, how are your plans coming for moving to that flat in Frome?

Cheers

dunroving Sep 16th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10903731)
2013 Life in America.

I just got off the phone with American Express. Have you ever had a conversation with corporate America with the representative being gushy? It was sickening!

Probably over-medicated.

islandwoman120 Sep 16th 2013 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10903743)

Rosie, how are your plans coming for moving to that flat in Frome?

Cheers

I did not say I was definitely moving - I said I was looking at a flat. I looked, did not like, did not take. Still at the seaside.

cheers Sep 16th 2013 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10903867)
I did not say I was definitely moving - I said I was looking at a flat. I looked, did not like, did not take. Still at the seaside.

Yey!

I knew that and I was just trying to be brief. Thanks for the update.

cheers Sep 16th 2013 10:57 pm

2nd item on life in America.

Just watching the news on the shooting in the Washington Shipyard. I had to quit watching. There are so many what appears to be "John Wayne" type people on the loose in the law and all of them have there personal assign cars with pretty red and blue lights on them to show how important they are. I think the job is so boring that when there is an event they all go charging to the front. Overkill as always.

The top news guy was interviewing the Secretary of the Navy and one or both of them appear to be on drugs or something because the interview was crazy, example, "the shooter was a aviation technician", response "he was a ships technician". Hello is anyone home? The Secretary appeared to be bombed out from the answered he gave to the questions. (And we were considering bombing Syria??)

Note. We have to bomb Syria because of all the innocent women and children dying daily in the US cities such as Chicago, New York and Detroit. Think about it.

I was relieved that they listen to the American people who overwhelmingly said NO. So next time they won't ask the American people and go ahead and bomb.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2013 4:18 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10903731)
2013 Life in America.

Cos they want your Business & Money...

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10903988)
2nd item on life in America.

Just watching the news on the shooting in the Washington Shipyard. I had to quit watching. There are so many what appears to be "John Wayne" type people on the loose in the law and all of them have there personal assign cars with pretty red and blue lights on them to show how important they are. I think the job is so boring that when there is an event they all go charging to the front. Overkill as always.

The top news guy was interviewing the Secretary of the Navy and one or both of them appear to be on drugs or something because the interview was crazy, example, "the shooter was a aviation technician", response "he was a ships technician". Hello is anyone home? The Secretary appeared to be bombed out from the answered he gave to the questions. (And we were considering bombing Syria??)

Note. We have to bomb Syria because of all the innocent women and children dying daily in the US cities such as Chicago, New York and Detroit. Think about it.

I was relieved that they listen to the American people who overwhelmingly said NO. So next time they won't ask the American people and go ahead and bomb.

Finally Americans are realising that war costs lives and money, I wished they'd thought about that before rushing into Iraq Etc... so many people back then were so rah rah about winning wars... huhhhhh...

So many innocent people Die, Life is precious, if it was happening here there would be no Wars...

Lets hope this all gets sorted out by talking and agreements.

J.JsOH Sep 17th 2013 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10904295)
Finally Americans are realising that war costs lives and money, I wished they'd thought about that before rushing into Iraq Etc... so many people back then were so rah rah about winning wars... huhhhhh...

So many innocent people Die, Life is precious, if it was happening here there would be no Wars...

Lets hope this all gets sorted out by talking and agreements.

Yes, less of the gung-ho would not be a bad thing for the US. PM Cameron was coming across as very gung-ho on bombing Syria too.