British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

mikelincs Sep 20th 2013 7:58 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10908133)
I was at the Albert Hall years ago too - Joan Baez concert! :)

I went many years ago to the night before the Last Night of the Proms. it was Beethoven's 9th, and it was a great atmosphere, with many people who were unable to get Last Night tickets celebrating as if it was the last Night, with all the flags and fancy dress.

Perth Sep 21st 2013 12:21 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10909093)
The new season of Downton Abbey starts on Sunday @ 9.00 pm.
Yeah!!!

So glad I have my VPN so I don't have to wait to watch it here in the US. Really excited :drinkingwine:

Perth Sep 21st 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10909066)
Me too fish,
thanks banduri, after watching this video it made me realize even more how absolutely pleased and thankful and fortunate I feel that Im a senior citizen living in the U.K. -------- finally!!! :britflag: :D

Meanwhile in lala land ... the House is trying to defund Obamacare. <sigh> Can't wait to join you Rodney!

Lestergirl Sep 21st 2013 10:33 am

Morning everyone, just trying to catch up a bit, havent been here for a while, ( sometimes the weeks just fly by) I was wondering how "mummyinthefoothills" move went.. I hope all is well for you.

jasper123 Sep 21st 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10910775)
Meanwhile in lala land ... the House is trying to defund Obamacare. <sigh> Can't wait to join you Rodney!

I will leave the light on for you :D

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 21st 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10910775)

And we wonder why this country has so many problems, having a Democratic President and Republican congress is insane, it makes no sense to me, we spin our wheels while the rest of the world moves on.

The Reps are set to destroy Obamacare, They don't care about people, they care about the Corporations that fill their pockets, they are like a bunch of spoiled kids wanting their own way... They've diluted Obamacare down so much that its not anything close to the one payer system that me and many others would have liked.

I find it hypocritical that some politicians hate the idea of Government Healthcare, yet they Love the Government Healthcare that we provide them with our Tax Dollars, Such liars, they couldn't be honest with the people of this country to save their own lives.

Id like to see that free healthcare benefit taken away from them and all the other perks they get, Its time they took a cut like the rest of us and were paid when they actually accomplishing something positive.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 21st 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lestergirl (Post 10911145)
Morning everyone, just trying to catch up a bit, havent been here for a while, ( sometimes the weeks just fly by) I was wondering how "mummyinthefoothills" move went.. I hope all is well for you.

Good to see you Denise, go back just a few pages and you will see Mummy made it back and in good shape..

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 21st 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10908484)
Oh yes, a couple of hours late, but all in one piece and nothing missing. He was exhausted and we've been trying to do all those bits and pieces, got him sighed up at the doctors today and realized the woman doing it was in school with me, same year LOL.
Next is a call to National insurance number line to get his found. That'll be tomorrow.
I applied for two NHS Jobs so keep your fingers crossed, and I'm meeting my old best friend from when we were 4 all the way through high school she might have work for me. We'll see.
I broke my Mums car all kinds of lights came on, went to the really nice local garage he fixed it £35 all done.
On top of that Dh fixed the plumbing, and the front door, and we cleaned the whole house put stuff in the attic and did the grocery shopping, I'm exhausted now and still have dinner to cook.
Not sure we have time for jobs. :lol:

It all sounds really Lovely to me...

So hows the little-un doing at School, is she happy and fitting in?

Take Care and Thanks for the Update...

Derrygal Sep 21st 2013 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10907742)
War of Independence??

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10907800)
Didn't the French help them win that one?

Yes - the French did help them win the War of Independence. They also gave the Statue of Liberty to the American people as a gift from the French back in 1886. Funny when you think about it as they don't really like each other very much now. I was actually very surprized when the French were talking of helping the Americans if they went ahead and bombed Syria (glad that hasn't happened - last thing this country needs is another bloody war).

bandrui Sep 22nd 2013 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 10911802)
Yes - the French did help them win the War of Independence. They also gave the Statue of Liberty to the American people as a gift from the French back in 1886. Funny when you think about it as they don't really like each other very much now. I was actually very surprized when the French were talking of helping the Americans if they went ahead and bombed Syria (glad that hasn't happened - last thing this country needs is another bloody war).

My ex-husband is a cajun from New Orleans. When we arrived there from England, he took great delight in taking me to the site of the Battle of New Orleans where they routed the British :frown:.

Perth Sep 22nd 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10911406)
And we wonder why this country has so many problems, having a Democratic President and Republican congress is insane, it makes no sense to me, we spin our wheels while the rest of the world moves on.

The Reps are set to destroy Obamacare, They don't care about people, they care about the Corporations that fill their pockets, they are like a bunch of spoiled kids wanting their own way... They've diluted Obamacare down so much that its not anything close to the one payer system that me and many others would have liked.

I find it hypocritical that some politicians hate the idea of Government Healthcare, yet they Love the Government Healthcare that we provide them with our Tax Dollars, Such liars, they couldn't be honest with the people of this country to save their own lives.

Id like to see that free healthcare benefit taken away from them and all the other perks they get, Its time they took a cut like the rest of us and were paid when they actually accomplishing something positive.

:goodpost:

cheers Sep 22nd 2013 5:12 pm

When is Downton Abbey on British TV tonight?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbi...amily-fortunes

Lorac05 Sep 22nd 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10912692)

9pm on ITV :D

scot47 Sep 22nd 2013 5:25 pm

Why is this romanticised view of a class-riven society so popular ib the US ? Let me think............................

Mummy in the foothills Sep 22nd 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lestergirl (Post 10911145)

Went very well so far, Dh got here 10 days later, jet lag worn off, two app for NHS jobs in and a friend who thinks she can get me in where she is, so fingers crossed.
Dh unfortunately is starting with another episode of the illness he has so will see the doc tomorrow, already signed up, so should be OK. He just needs back on his meds asap and all will be well.
Other than that alls well.
I got roped into looking after a sick neighbors cat while she's off recovering. Everyone is so friendly in our little street. I have to go and feed him let him in the house and lock him up for the night and feed and let him out in the morning. Cheeky little thing figured out where we live and follows us home, he came in through the open living room window this afternoon looking for some company.

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10912692)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbi...amily-fortunes

I can't wait for this tonight. I'm getting Dd off to bed and making a cup of tea and getting some biscuits and taking over the family room to watch. Dh is going to be banned to the front room to watch something else. :lol: