British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Perth Apr 2nd 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10636704)
It sounds awesome Sally, the fresh air and the picture you drew is very appealing to me too.

How have you been Fish? Any closer to thinking about going home? I think of you whenever I have to deal with someone from the medical profession :rolleyes: since we are the flag wavers for the NHS :thumbsup:

Yesterday, for my yearly check-up, I had to fill out forms online, part of which was written in medical jargon :huh: and the other part did not like what I answered or something because it kept throwing me out :D

The most infuriating thing was the fact that I had to watch a 10 minute video on how if I ever had a complaint against them I had to agree to binding arbitration :sneaky::frown:

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 8:36 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10637065)
How have you been Fish? Any closer to thinking about going home? I think of you whenever I have to deal with someone from the medical profession :rolleyes: since we are the flag wavers for the NHS :thumbsup:

Yesterday, for my yearly check-up, I had to fill out forms online, part of which was written in medical jargon :huh: and the other part did not like what I answered or something because it kept throwing me out :D

The most infuriating thing was the fact that I had to watch a 10 minute video on how if I ever had a complaint against them I had to agree to binding arbitration :sneaky::frown:

Hello Perth.

I still want to go, I think about it every hour of every day, but I have to have a decent amount of money to go with, so Im here until that situation changes.

A 10 minute video, Ohhhh so nice of them, arbitration, typical, and I bet they are in with those folks, its just another way of saying You lose.

Karrie72 Apr 3rd 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10637710)
Hello Perth.

I still want to go, I think about it every hour of every day, but I have to have a decent amount of money to go with, so Im here until that situation changes.

A 10 minute video, Ohhhh so nice of them, arbitration, typical, and I bet they are in with those folks, its just another way of saying You lose.

I think about it all the time like you Fish. It's a strange way to live isn't it? I'm down to three years before I can move, unless my children put up an enormous stink at the last minute. Thats what I'm most afraid of, and that my husband will back out, citing 'pie-in the sky fantasy world' excuses.

Oddly, I've also felt myself detaching from life here, it seems a bit ghostly and unreal now. I keep thinking about the future, my house, my job, my kids school. Can't be healthy...

Perth Apr 3rd 2013 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10637944)
I think about it all the time like you Fish. It's a strange way to live isn't it? I'm down to three years before I can move, unless my children put up an enormous stink at the last minute. Thats what I'm most afraid of, and that my husband will back out, citing 'pie-in the sky fantasy world' excuses.

Oddly, I've also felt myself detaching from life here, it seems a bit ghostly and unreal now. I keep thinking about the future, my house, my job, my kids school. Can't be healthy...

We are on a 3 year time frame too, Montfan, and I have only recently started feeling really detached. Do you know Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb? That's what I've been for 30 years! Except, I'm not even comfortable with it anymore.

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jySUp...layer_embedded

J.JsOH Apr 3rd 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10636318)
Read this on your blog this morning! How heavenly! I am in love with little lambs (and no, I don't eat them). When I am finally at death's door, I want to be living in a little cottage somewhere, with my bed facing the window to sheep dotted on the hillside.

I too would be happy with that view... and alongside it a view of my bank balance as it notches down from credit to Zero. Take nothing, leave nothing but good deeds.

J.JsOH Apr 3rd 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10635025)
Yes!

The weather has delayed my move (we were supposed to move last week but had to delay because of the deep snow up where we're going), but I don't even mind. It's just so beautiful up there in this weather. Yesterday I was up at our new house doing a bit of decorating and I took a break to go for a walk. It's all footpaths across farm fields and hills around there, so it can get quite exposed and windy, but a good coat, a hat, a scarf and a pair of wellies and you're all set. You really feel the air in your lungs and you can literally feel your head clearing while you walk. Fantastic!

The best part was walking through a field of new born lambs. I did pass one lamb corpse and that was very sad, but the others were so delightful - some skipping around, some of them still learning to stand - one even ran right up to me and I was worried he'd think I was his mother and attach himself to me but luckily his mum came over quickly and shooed him back.

The good thing about the people up in the Dales is that they tend not to moan about the weather - they seem to just get on with it. It's so boring when people start on with how bad the weather is and how they wish they could move somewhere warm. Most would hate it I'm sure, but they imagine hot summers are utopia.

Talk of sheep brings to mind my first paid employment. A farmer asked me to check on his sheep on my walk to school and back. I was to turn them back onto their feet if they got stuck on their back and couldn't get up. My best recall is that I got a crisp 10 bob note a week for that.

Karrie72 Apr 3rd 2013 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10637969)
We are on a 3 year time frame too, Montfan, and I have only recently started feeling really detached. Do you know Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb? That's what I've been for 30 years! Except, I'm not even comfortable with it anymore.

Very apt, thanks for sharing. Yes, I will have been here 25 years by the time I hopefully leave. We'll have to be moving buddies!

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10638538)
Talk of sheep brings to mind my first paid employment. A farmer asked me to check on his sheep on my walk to school and back. I was to turn them back onto their feet if they got stuck on their back and couldn't get up. My best recall is that I got a crisp 10 bob note a week for that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: That's a great memory to have, not only for the cash, but for the help you gave to those sheep :) Well done !!!

feelbritish Apr 3rd 2013 6:28 pm

I am also on a 3 year time frame, bit of luck maybe 2 years, but only today my hubby showed me a picture of a yob attacking an innocent home owner in his own yard, judging from the accents and area I think it must have been near a council estate but he asked me "sure if you want to go back to that"? I tried to explain that we would not be living near a place like that!

I also find I am detaching myself from Canada, particularly the area we live in, I am now disliking it a lot! We went to Victoria the other day for a couple of nights and I did enjoy it down there though! Hubby will not discuss it now and gets angry when I mention anything to do with UK, saying he is sick of hearing about it every day, so now I have to back off :thumbdown: Happy I have this BE forum of friends though :thumbsup:

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10638618)
I am also on a 3 year time frame, bit of luck maybe 2 years, but only today my hubby showed me a picture of a yob attacking an innocent home owner in his own yard, judging from the accents and area I think it must have been near a council estate but he asked me "sure if you want to go back to that"? I tried to explain that we would not be living near a place like that!

I also find I am detaching myself from Canada, particularly the area we live in, I am now disliking it a lot! We went to Victoria the other day for a couple of nights and I did enjoy it down there though! Hubby will not discuss it now and gets angry when I mention anything to do with UK, saying he is sick of hearing about it every day, so now I have to back off :thumbdown: Happy I have this BE forum of friends though :thumbsup:

Well you know we're all there for you :) :thumbsup: I'm just curious though...is hubby going to go with you to the UK, or is he just miffed because you talk a lot about the UK?? LOL Don't worry I'm in a similar boat...my housemates all run a mile the minute I mention the UK, so I've just got to the stage where I keep quiet and enjoy the feeling of going home all the myself. LOL :thumbsup:

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:38 pm

Hello Perth and Montfan...

I'm not kidding when I tell you that I've been living like this since the 70's, yes that long, wishing I was back in the UK and thinking about it every hour of every day, its where I feel I belong...

We went back in 89-90 and had to return, that was the worst period, right after I got back thinking or knowing I was a failure, Id planned that move for years and everything went south in seven months as I couldn't get a job, In one case I was competing with 200 other people for a job filling vending machines, cigarettes in that case, I overheard people referring to me as the yank in job interviews, I came back to my old job and so did my wife, the temptation of having work pulled me back, I was very miserable and depressed but at least we had a jobs and a roof over our heads.

For many years I lived in a temporary world, I have always tried to buy as little as possible, saving as much as I can for the move, always taking into consideration that what I buy may be going back with me, so if it was electrical Id look for a product that was also 240 volt switchable, all my computers used to be 120/ 240 volt, of course today with laptops and pads that's not an issue, the same goes for battery powered tools... plus today I buy stuff knowing it might make sense to just garage sale it when the time comes, its a much smaller matter anymore, they are just things...

I used to read every page of every magazine and newspaper that I brought back from the UK, one time I brought back 17, Id save them and re-read them for a long time too, it was the only info I had, with the Internet that has changed, I can get more UK info than I've ever had right at my finger tips, I usually hit Google Earth everyday and randomly look at the villages and places in the UK, its fascinating stuff...

I spend a lot of time watching British TV programs but I don't watch the actual BBC or ITV through expat shield, I just see what's available here and on netflix...

I used the think the exchange rate was the only thing to worry about, and Medical bankruptcy of course, but with the greedy financial system and the way they like screw us who knows what's next, if it wasn't for the financial problems of 2008 I would have been back 4 years ago, with a home I would have bought for cash, its amazing how things can go bad so quick, 20+ years of savings down the hole in 4 years flat, the economy suffered and we did right along with it, I'm not looking for pity, I know there are many good American people that have suffered much worse, losing jobs, homes and everything...

Sorry for rattling on, just know you can survive for decades like this but I wouldn't advise it, at least we have friends here to bounce things off, it used to be lonely before this all came about, plus we have skype, what a brilliant invention, when I first arrived it cost $1 a minute just to call the UK on weekends, and I only earned $2.50 an hour...

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:41 pm

Gosh Montfan I sure hope it works out for you, I know its been two years already, at least you are aware what can happen and are getting prepared, I just hope your hubby keeps to his side of the deal and doesnt try to pressure you.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10638544)
Very apt, thanks for sharing. Yes, I will have been here 25 years by the time I hopefully leave. We'll have to be moving buddies!

Wow I had no idea you had been here that long, I thought you'd moved here more recently, now I see the kids could be more of a problem as its all they've ever known.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10637969)

Wow you too, 30 yrs, thats amazing, I thought I was one of the few. Good Luck to you too, where do you plan on settling in the UK?

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10638514)
I too would be happy with that view... and alongside it a view of my bank balance as it notches down from credit to Zero. Take nothing, leave nothing but good deeds.

Exactly Right John...