British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

WhoFan63 Mar 19th 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10613066)
:rofl: I didn't hear that! How funny :rofl:

You should watch it again..lol. :)

Perth Mar 19th 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10613077)
You should watch it again..lol. :)

I just might :thumbsup:

WhoFan63 Mar 19th 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10613081)
I just might :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Just pay close attention every time you see HM put her bag on a desk....:rofl:

windsong Mar 20th 2013 6:05 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
I have begun to ramp up my business again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It occurred to be today that, while I would choose to live in the UK, I will have to travel overseas and probably, in particular, to the USA because of the business. I think that, for me, this means that I need to forget any ideas of renouncing citizenship.

Maybe this will give me the best of both worlds. :) This morning I was actually feeling a "slight" bit of sorrow about leaving. :eek::eek::eek::eek: For all that I have said about going home, it came as a shock to me. I think it is the result of getting down to brass tacks and doing some heartfelt soul-searching about what I want out of life, how it will affect my life, where I want to be and where it is BEST for me to be. I am not sure I have reach firm conclusions yet but I think this is a necessary process for me.

I will, of course, move back to the UK because it is home. I am lucky because this new business will allow me to travel anywhere the need takes me - North and South America, all over Europe and the Caribbean - and anywhere else I have to travel. With roots in the UK, I won't mind the travel and I do have a partner who will share this travel with me. Sometime he will do it, sometimes I will do it, and sometimes we will do it together as the need dictates.

I am still a bit in shock about the sadness about leaving that I felt earlier. I think even considering a move back home makes us very vulnerable and it is important to explore all these emotions before we do anything so we are fully prepared.

I have not changed my mind about going home - not for a second. I think this sadness is normal. I spent the first 23 years of my life in the UK and the rest of it here.

between two worlds Mar 20th 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10615051)
I have begun to ramp up my business again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It occurred to be today that, while I would choose to live in the UK, I will have to travel overseas and probably, in particular, to the USA because of the business. I think that, for me, this means that I need to forget any ideas of renouncing citizenship.

Maybe this will give me the best of both worlds. :) This morning I was actually feeling a "slight" bit of sorrow about leaving. :eek::eek::eek::eek: For all that I have said about going home, it came as a shock to me. I think it is the result of getting down to brass tacks and doing some heartfelt soul-searching about what I want out of life, how it will affect my life, where I want to be and where it is BEST for me to be. I am not sure I have reach firm conclusions yet but I think this is a necessary process for me.

I will, of course, move back to the UK because it is home. I am lucky because this new business will allow me to travel anywhere the need takes me - North and South America, all over Europe and the Caribbean - and anywhere else I have to travel. With roots in the UK, I won't mind the travel and I do have a partner who will share this travel with me. Sometime he will do it, sometimes I will do it, and sometimes we will do it together as the need dictates.

I am still a bit in shock about the sadness about leaving that I felt earlier. I think even considering a move back home makes us very vulnerable and it is important to explore all these emotions before we do anything so we are fully prepared.

I have not changed my mind about going home - not for a second. I think this sadness is normal. I spent the first 23 years of my life in the UK and the rest of it here.

Yes, this sadness once the decision has been made is normal, and has been mentioned often on these threads. Takes us by surprise because so much energy was focused on making the decision or waiting for circumstances to be right; suddenly, you are really going--and bang! all the meaning those years had comes into focus, often for the first time.

windsong Mar 20th 2013 8:09 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10615123)
Yes, this sadness once the decision has been made is normal, and has been mentioned often on these threads. Takes us by surprise because so much energy was focused on making the decision or waiting for circumstances to be right; suddenly, you are really going--and bang! all the meaning those years had comes into focus, often for the first time.

Well, I am not going "yet", although it became clear to me today that, if I am going, I have to begin to plan "now" :)

WhoFan63 Mar 20th 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10615221)
Well, I am not going "yet", although it became clear to me today that, if I am going, I have to begin to plan "now" :)

You said the word IF ! :) Planning definitely helps, and just by beginning the process it gives you an idea whether leaving is truly what you want. Often people change their mind when they have begun the process and they realise what they're leaving behind. This is not 'you' in particular...it's a general you..lol

feelbritish Mar 20th 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10611369)
For anyone interested, a new documentary on the Queen broadcast recently on ITV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=exhbFPlPNLE#!

Have only had time to view this now, thank you Perth for posting, thoroughly enjoyable. Had to smile everytime I saw that handbag, she never lets go of it, yes gold bullion in there! Must get myself one of those shower caps from Buckingham Palace:D

Perth Mar 21st 2013 12:00 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10615518)
Have only had time to view this now, thank you Perth for posting, thoroughly enjoyable. Had to smile everytime I saw that handbag, she never lets go of it, yes gold bullion in there! Must get myself one of those shower caps from Buckingham Palace:D

I thought the same thing too about the shower cap! First thing I am going to pick up at the gift shop :lol:

Perth Mar 21st 2013 12:06 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 
So I finally think I've lost my marbles. It was overcast all day today with a brisk breeze and I was loving it. Thought it couldn't get any better until it poured with rain just now. Think I'm ready for the British weather :p:rofl::thumbsup:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 21st 2013 2:56 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10615573)
So I finally think I've lost my marbles. It was overcast all day today with a brisk breeze and I was loving it. Thought it couldn't get any better until it poured with rain just now. Think I'm ready for the British weather :p:rofl::thumbsup:

Dd and I went out into the garage with the door open to watch a downpour last night, it was lovely. :lol:
Best weather today it was cloudy all day with occasional showers Loved it.

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 21st 2013 3:03 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10615573)
So I finally think I've lost my marbles. It was overcast all day today with a brisk breeze and I was loving it. Thought it couldn't get any better until it poured with rain just now. Think I'm ready for the British weather :p:rofl::thumbsup:

Some days I go outside or drive to work and it feels like a typical British overcast day... I Just Love it, of course I like overcast with no rain and mid 60s too...

lf1 Mar 21st 2013 7:15 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10615518)
Have only had time to view this now, thank you Perth for posting, thoroughly enjoyable. Had to smile everytime I saw that handbag, she never lets go of it, yes gold bullion in there! Must get myself one of those shower caps from Buckingham Palace:D


Yes, me too. I want one of those shower caps and I can actually justify it as my current shower cap is covered in knitted snakes (village Panto costume) and is no longer fit for purpose.

Next time I am up in Edinburgh, I will take a trip to the lovely shop in Holyroodhouse and hope they have one in stock. Surely, they must do, otherwise what would Her Majesty do if she left her cap in London?:lol:

windsong Mar 21st 2013 8:41 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10615232)
You said the word IF ! :) Planning definitely helps, and just by beginning the process it gives you an idea whether leaving is truly what you want. Often people change their mind when they have begun the process and they realise what they're leaving behind. This is not 'you' in particular...it's a general you..lol

A grammatically correct figure of speech in the context in which I used it. :thumbsup:

windsong Mar 21st 2013 8:42 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up
 

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10615573)
So I finally think I've lost my marbles. It was overcast all day today with a brisk breeze and I was loving it. Thought it couldn't get any better until it poured with rain just now. Think I'm ready for the British weather :p:rofl::thumbsup:

I LOVE a good downpour. Don't seem to get them much at all in the midwest USA.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.