British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 6:52 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10638655)
Wow you too, 30 yrs, thats amazing, I thought I was one of the few. Good Luck to you too, where do you plan on settling in the UK?

There are even a few of us that have been away longer too :) I've been gone 43 years LOL :eek::eek:

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10638618)
I am also on a 3 year time frame, bit of luck maybe 2 years, but only today my hubby showed me a picture of a yob attacking an innocent home owner in his own yard, judging from the accents and area I think it must have been near a council estate but he asked me "sure if you want to go back to that"? I tried to explain that we would not be living near a place like that!

I also find I am detaching myself from Canada, particularly the area we live in, I am now disliking it a lot! We went to Victoria the other day for a couple of nights and I did enjoy it down there though! Hubby will not discuss it now and gets angry when I mention anything to do with UK, saying he is sick of hearing about it every day, so now I have to back off :thumbdown: Happy I have this BE forum of friends though :thumbsup:

Hi Feelbritish.

I had to watch what I said in the house at one time as I would drive my wife crazy, Ive calmed down alot, but now I know she really wants to go back too, that makes alot of difference, I can discuss it and not feel like Im being pushy.

Good Luck to you too, It sounds like your Hubby isnt totally onboard with the idea but many arent, some people just live for today, some of us know you have to plan for the future.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10638665)
There are even a few of us that have been away longer too :) I've been gone 43 years LOL :eek::eek:

You've got me beat, 76 was the year I came here.

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 3rd 2013 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10638538)
Talk of sheep brings to mind my first paid employment. A farmer asked me to check on his sheep on my walk to school and back. I was to turn them back onto their feet if they got stuck on their back and couldn't get up. My best recall is that I got a crisp 10 bob note a week for that.

Wow a 10 Bob note, Id forgot they existed, great memories John...

Im outta here, Ive posted far too much for one day, I have things Ive got to do.

Stay happy and Keep smiling everyone.

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10638673)

Only by 6 years..lol. I left in 1970 :D

Celticspirit Apr 3rd 2013 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10638673)

I came in September 1972.....so it's 40.5 years for me :-(

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10638728)
I came in September 1972.....so it's 40.5 years for me :-(

Okay...we have been gone too long...time to go home !!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Celticspirit Apr 3rd 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10638746)
Okay...we have been gone too long...time to go home !!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

For sure.......:-)

Perth Apr 3rd 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10638538)
Talk of sheep brings to mind my first paid employment. A farmer asked me to check on his sheep on my walk to school and back. I was to turn them back onto their feet if they got stuck on their back and couldn't get up. My best recall is that I got a crisp 10 bob note a week for that.

My Brit friend here teases me about my "obsession" with sheep :lol: I tell her it's really only because to me there is nothing more quintessentially British :D I think I would take that job now if it was on offer :rofl:

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10638875)
My Brit friend here teases me about my "obsession" with sheep :lol: I tell her it's really only because to me there is nothing more quintessentially British :D I think I would take that job now if it was on offer :rofl:

It's a good job you don't live in NZ then, because you really WOULD get teased......(apologies to my NZ friends..lol) :rofl:

Perth Apr 3rd 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10638544)
Very apt, thanks for sharing. Yes, I will have been here 25 years by the time I hopefully leave. We'll have to be moving buddies!

For sure :thumbsup: There are a few others on our time schedule too. OH did say last night, after I had a bit of a melt-down, that we MIGHT be able to move it up a year. But I am not holding my breath.

Perth Apr 3rd 2013 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10638880)
It's a good job you don't live in NZ then, because you really WOULD get teased......(apologies to my NZ friends..lol) :rofl:

:rofl: Don't they have a lot of sheep in OZ too?

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10638882)
For sure :thumbsup: There are a few others on our time schedule too. OH did say last night, after I had a bit of a melt-down, that we MIGHT be able to move it up a year. But I am not holding my breath.

No don't...you would turn a horrible grey colour.. LOL But keeping everything crossed that you can bring it up a year...then TWO and before you know it, you'll be posting on the flight tracker that you are only HOURS away from getting on the plane...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

WhoFan63 Apr 3rd 2013 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10638883)
:rofl: Don't they have a lot of sheep in OZ too?

Yes...but its not the number of sheep that's the issue....lol I guess this is just a joke known only to Aussies roflmao.

Perth Apr 3rd 2013 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10638618)
I am also on a 3 year time frame, bit of luck maybe 2 years, but only today my hubby showed me a picture of a yob attacking an innocent home owner in his own yard, judging from the accents and area I think it must have been near a council estate but he asked me "sure if you want to go back to that"? I tried to explain that we would not be living near a place like that!

I also find I am detaching myself from Canada, particularly the area we live in, I am now disliking it a lot! We went to Victoria the other day for a couple of nights and I did enjoy it down there though! Hubby will not discuss it now and gets angry when I mention anything to do with UK, saying he is sick of hearing about it every day, so now I have to back off :thumbdown: Happy I have this BE forum of friends though :thumbsup:

I'm sorry he is being overwhelmed by the negative press. Wasn't from the DM was it? :sneaky: Now I know things happen, but good god, if you could see the news reports down here in Tampa, it would be enough to curl your eyebrows.

Looks like it's you, me and Monfan on the 3 year track. Gotta keep up our spirits lassies :thumbsup: