British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Sep 30th 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10924239)
Unfortunately this video is not available in the UK!

But, I would like to know of the dangers. Don

What I remember from watching it is that the food OR what ever your carrying in your permanent shopping bag can contaminate other food in future shopping. Example, bad produce and meat. This can be avoided if the bag is constantly washed.

HighCaper Oct 1st 2013 7:24 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10922852)
Long life the NHS

Hi Jasper123, I'm currently living is South Africa which also does not have a Social Heathcare system like the USA and your absolutely right in your comments. Instead of Heathcare being a social responsibility and a right for all human beings it's a business. No Money No adequate Heathcare ! However, saying this there are government hospital that are so dirty, poorly run & managed and in some cases have inadequate doctors & nurses. that I would only go there if I was turned away from a private facility and death was otherwise imminent.

My Dad in the UK died 3 years ago at the ripe age so 85 and spent 3 weeks in medical intensive care. All I can say is WOW, that hospital was amazing, the staff were amazing and the care my Dad received was amazing. He died in the end but that was mostly due to his age and inability to recover from the operation.

I'm going back to live in the UK in Dec 2013 and although I don't need any medical help as yet, I'm sure I will in time.

Long live the NHS :thumbsup:

Hi to everyone on this thread.

jasper123 Oct 1st 2013 9:58 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 10925264)
Hi Jasper123, I'm currently living is South Africa which also does not have a Social Heathcare system like the USA and your absolutely right in your comments. Instead of Heathcare being a social responsibility and a right for all human beings it's a business. No Money No adequate Heathcare ! However, saying this there are government hospital that are so dirty, poorly run & managed and in some cases have inadequate doctors & nurses. that I would only go there if I was turned away from a private facility and death was otherwise imminent.

My Dad in the UK died 3 years ago at the ripe age so 85 and spent 3 weeks in medical intensive care. All I can say is WOW, that hospital was amazing, the staff were amazing and the care my Dad received was amazing. He died in the end but that was mostly due to his age and inability to recover from the operation.

I'm going back to live in the UK in Dec 2013 and although I don't need any medical help as yet, I'm sure I will in time.

Long live the NHS :thumbsup:

Hi to everyone on this thread.

Hello Highcaper,
Thank you for your post, and I welcome you to this thread, sorry that the thread is so slow lately ------- its normally very busy like a shop with a revolving door, but we do have slow times like this now and then, and then it picks up again,
How old are you? and how long have you been away from the UK? and will you be coming home to live for good? will you be retired or have to look for work?
we love to talk to the newbies, they are always welcome, and any advice you need from anyone on here ---- Just ask and people will respond ----- hopefully ----- as long as there not getting ready for winter hybernation :unsure: it is getting near to that time of year ;)
Take care,
Rodney.

(HELLO EVERYONE WHERE ARE YOU ALL) its soooo lonely in here :(

dontheturner Oct 1st 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10925423)
Hello Highcaper,
Thank you for your post, and I welcome you to this thread, sorry that the thread is so slow lately ------- its normally very busy like a shop with a revolving door, but we do have slow times like this now and then, and then it picks up again,
How old are you? and how long have you been away from the UK? and will you be coming home to live for good? will you be retired or have to look for work?
we love to talk to the newbies, they are always welcome, and any advice you need from anyone on here ---- Just ask and people will respond ----- hopefully ----- as long as there not getting ready for winter hybernation :unsure: it is getting near to that time of year ;)
Take care,
Rodney.

Never mind, I'm thinking of you... Highlight of this month? - Getting a nice nurce to inflict a 'flu jab!!!!! Take Care. Don

lf1 Oct 1st 2013 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10925423)
Hello Highcaper,
Take care,
Rodney.

Checking in as requested, Rodney. I think everyone has been out enjoying the nice weather.

Welcome to BE Highcaper. We are a friendly bunch around here and over the years we have helped and been helped by the posters on this thread. Some of us are now back in the UK, but there are others who are in far flung parts around the world and planning their return. Hope you will find the thread helpful as you make your journey.:)

aries Oct 1st 2013 10:46 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10925454)
Checking in as requested, Rodney. I think everyone has been out enjoying the nice weather.

Welcome to BE Highcaper. We are a friendly bunch around here and over the years we have helped and been helped by the posters on this thread. Some of us are now back in the UK, but there are others who are in far flung parts around the world and planning their return. Hope you will find the thread helpful as you make your journey.:)

Nice weather If1 . . . are you posting on holiday in a warmer and dryer climate? It is damp and misty here and has been wet for a few days. I miss my good drying days in Adelaide, and might have to invest in a tumble dryer. :frown:

HighCaper Oct 1st 2013 10:52 am

Hi Rodney and all others

I am 46 and have been in South Africa for 23 years (half my life). I arrived here in 1991 which was before the 1994 elections for a white to a black government. There wasn't a mass eviction of whites from the country back then but I have definitely seen the deterioration of the country during my stay. For me it's just become too volatile 1. financially - cost of living has gone from cheap to unaffordable and the exchange rate from Rands to £'s can loose me several £1000's in a few short days. 2. Crime and violence 3. Job placements for white faces. 4. Medical support.

My situation is tricky...I am married to a South African who has reasons why he doesn't want to move to UK, which is contrary to the plans we made when we met and got married. So, were going to commute to see each other until such time as a final decide is made, whatever that may me. I most definitely want to work although I'm relatively ok financially (definitely not able to retire as yet though).

I'm relocating back to my home town of Chesterfield, Derbyshire because I simply love the small, but not tiny, town and the countryside. I don't have any family left but I do have friends both in Chesterfield and in other parts of the UK. I don't know about you but I've reached that age that I want that sense of belonging which comes from all things familiar.

I will keep reading this thread but if there is anyone thats relocated back to the Derbyshire area, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading
Andrea

lf1 Oct 1st 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 10925491)
Nice weather If1 . . . are you posting on holiday in a warmer and dryer climate? It is damp and misty here and has been wet for a few days. I miss my good drying days in Adelaide, and might have to invest in a tumble dryer. :frown:

No. I am up in Scotland and we have just had a lovely weekend and yesterday was nice too. My weekend was a bit wet though, as I had a leak from my washing machine, but it is all sorted now. Thank goodness. At first, I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from as it wasn't puddling around the machine, but on the other side of the room. I thought the rain might have come in through the roof on Wed night, but as I just had the roof resealed, I was at a loss as why that would have happened. It was a mystery for a few days until I put my Inspector Morse hat on and figured out the culprit. :D

cheers Oct 1st 2013 8:00 pm

So the US government is shut down. You knew that right? So now all the millionaires(senators) are appearing on TV to grandstand that they had nothing to do with the shutdown. They are the masters of deceit!

On another forum that I look at someone is posting the number of US citizens who are renouncing their citizenship. It has climbed significantly over the same period last year. I don't think it is because of taxes because I think they said that 90% of the citizens who live overseas don't have to pay tax to the IRS. The source for the numbers are published by the FBI I think they said.

Cheers

cheers Oct 1st 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10925516)
No. I am up in Scotland and we have just had a lovely weekend and yesterday was nice too. My weekend was a bit wet though, as I had a leak from my washing machine, but it is all sorted now. Thank goodness. At first, I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from as it wasn't puddling around the machine, but on the other side of the room. I thought the rain might have come in through the roof on Wed night, but as I just had the roof resealed, I was at a loss as why that would have happened. It was a mystery for a few days until I put my Inspector Morse hat on and figured out the culprit. :D

We have something in common. We have people in to take out a small piece of wall because we have mold resulting from the air conditioner that is in the attic.

lf1 Oct 1st 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10926373)
We have something in common. We have people in to take out a small piece of wall because we have mold resulting from the air conditioner that is in the attic.

Thankfully, the floor is tiled, so no water damage. My laundry room in Canada was upstairs and fortunately I never had a leak. It would have been rather messy. I hope your problem in the attic is not a big job.

lf1 Oct 1st 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10926408)
Maybe this link will work;
we were on telly tonight, in a pub in Downham Market that was awarded cider pub of the year.
Starts at about 21:50 mins, I comment on cosy pub and DW speaks of getting off the train for a cider then going shopping.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...st_01_10_2013/

Our very own BE celebs. :D Do you go there often?

J.JsOH Oct 1st 2013 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10926421)
Our very own BE celebs. :D Do you go there often?

No, not often, it is a bus and a train ride from us. Too many pubs, not enough time.

jasper123 Oct 1st 2013 10:11 pm

John & June ------ WOW I just watched the TV news clip, I had to fast forward to the last 4 minutes of the half hour news program but there you both were,
speaking on TV, it was great to see you both at the pub at the train station,
its a pity the news cameras were not at the Pub where the three of us were drinking last week when you were down here in Pompey, and we could have been on the telly down south too!!! ;)
Cheers.

feelbritish Oct 1st 2013 11:12 pm

Hi all, checking in after a long absence although I have been reading posts almost every day! Just did not have anything to add :D

This last weekend just gone by, the rain started in earnest and our winter storms! I spent the time clearing out suitcases, cupboards and boxes under the stairs and in the storeroom. Whew, what an exercise and was very invigorating as I was deciding what was going to be coming with us to UK. I have clothes that I wore when I was working over there and clothes that are now far too small for me. MY OH had his day off today and got stuck into his cupboard and we now have 5 large black bin bags with clothes, linen, material (? why on earth I kept this?) for the goodwill. Boxes are also being put together for the gigantic garage sale in the spring if not before if by some miracle we sell early. It is a start and I feel much happier now. :thumbsup:

The other news that makes me happy now is that OH will talk about going back and every now and then will look at a house on Rightmove or discuss with me our options and our plans although as ever the over cautious person, keeps telling me we have to sell this house first! We have listed it privately as a B&B for sale (may be repeating myself there) but I am now on a roll!

Welcome to the "newbies" on here. As winter sets in we may be on here more often now!