British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Oct 2nd 2013 8:45 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Curleytops and Bandrui,

This evening I just came across a programme on BBC 4 called Fabric of Britain. It is in three parts, knitting, wallpaper & embroidery. I am now watching the knitting episode on catchup. Thought you both might be interested, you being a knitter Curleytops and Bandrui, I think you are involved with fabrics.

I have never tried Fair Isle Knitting, but the little bit about It made it feel less intimidating, so maybe I will try a small project.

bandrui Oct 2nd 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10928122)
Curleytops and Bandrui,

This evening I just came across a programme on BBC 4 called Fabric of Britain. It is in three parts, knitting, wallpaper & embroidery. I am now watching the knitting episode on catchup. Thought you both might be interested, you being a knitter Curleytops and Bandrui, I think you are involved with fabrics.

I have never tried Fair Isle Knitting, but the little bit about It made it feel less intimidating, so maybe I will try a small project.

I saw that show If1, and you're right, I loved it! :thumbsup: (BTW I am also a knitter... since a child.)

jasper123 Oct 2nd 2013 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10927909)
Pub of the Year for Portsmouth / Southsea is Hole in The Wall, Southsea.
I recommend it for beer, their meat puddings and it is a friendly place too.

Thats it John, you have sold me on (the hole in the wall) I will make it a point to visit that Pup in the near future :beer::beer::beer: ------- and the meat pudding sounds like a plan for lunch :thumbsup:

Perth Oct 2nd 2013 10:45 pm

Curleytops and Bandrui,

I saw the one on knitting. Made me want to try again. Haven't done it since I left the UK in 1981 :( Think I will hit the shops this weekend. Will need some warm scarves for our return :)

Celticspirit Oct 3rd 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10927152)
I too am checking in again in response to Rodney's plea!

Also to welcome HighCaper and other newbies. It's wonderful when new voices are added to the conversation.

I've been going back and forth to the UK a bit (much easier of course from France than from the US where I used to live).
Always happy to be there when I go back.
Buying a slightly larger flat there than the one we've had all these years, as that one is just too tiny for full-time living for more than one person. But the newer one is still small...what about all our stuff?

Starting to stress over the next big life change: winding up life here in France and going to the UK. To be based there rather than US for the first time in our long married life. (me UKC, he USC).

Stressing over STUFF. What stuff to take from here? what to do about the house we still own in US and all the stuff in it?
Stressing over residency and tax issues....stressing over the cat's pet passport.....

Must remember it is just stuff, in the end. But my problem is when the stuff is important memorabilia, chronicling our lives....without that, I fear forgetting everything...most of that stuff is still in the US..what to do with it??! Starting to wonder about cutting all ties with a US town that was home for over two decades...worrying about remaining far away from the one of our three offspring who will still be in the US...typical last-minute jitters....

Well....that was just a bit of an unload on you all, sorry, but I guess it's one of the functions of the site! Great to have friends here who have dealt with the same issues. And compared to many I have little to stress about....

Meanwhile, it's a lovely day here in France, I must go out and enjoy it!

Important memorabilia......Neiman Marcus pics of my kids.....tons.....there is no house in the UK could hold my pics.....so with the big Salvation Army pick up yesterday.....when the bell rang.....I raced around my hallway and took ALL of them out of the pile......kids live in NYC small apartments...don't want them....there's a lot of agony associated with parting of important "stuff "

Sally Redux Oct 3rd 2013 12:50 am

Curleytops and Bandrui,

I was so proud of a Fair Isle sweater I knitted for my son when he was a toddler :D It's fun, you just carry the colours behind the rows.

bandrui Oct 3rd 2013 1:45 am

I see the show in question (Fabric of Britain) is also here on YouTube.

lf1 Oct 3rd 2013 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10928351)
Important memorabilia......Neiman Marcus pics of my kids.....tons.....there is no house in the UK could hold my pics.....so with the big Salvation Army pick up yesterday.....when the bell rang.....I raced around my hallway and took ALL of them out of the pile......kids live in NYC small apartments...don't want them....there's a lot of agony associated with parting of important "stuff "

I managed to reduce some of my photograph collection by scanning them. There are some that I will never get rid of, even although I have a copy on my computer and on my backup drive, but it did help to reduce the pile a little.

lf1 Oct 3rd 2013 7:04 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10926646)
I hope I can find a lease with space for a tumble dryer. There is nothing worse/unhealthier than hanging damp clothes on radiators in one's home.

Dryers are much more common over here than in my day. I have one with a built in condenser, so it doesn't need to be vented to the outside. I understand they are popular in flats where space can be limited.

lf1 Oct 3rd 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10928270)
I saw the one on knitting. Made me want to try again. Haven't done it since I left the UK in 1981 :( Think I will hit the shops this weekend. Will need some warm scarves for our return :)

It is just like riding a bike. I knitted as a child and then again in the late 70's and early 80's. I didn't pick my needles up again until around 2007 and knitted like a mad woman. My problem is that I hate the finishing process, so I have a number of items on my to be completed list. I now try to focus on smaller projects.

One of the ladies on the documentary described scarf knitting as boring, whereas, I am happy to a knit a scarf.

lf1 Oct 3rd 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10928353)
I was so proud of a Fair Isle sweater I knitted for my son when he was a toddler :D It's fun, you just carry the colours behind the rows.

Right, I am going to give it a try. Hate to think how many hours I will now spend on the net and looking through my books for inspiration:D

bandrui Oct 3rd 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10928611)
Right, I am going to give it a try. Hate to think how many hours I will now spend on the net and looking through my books for inspiration:D

Ah yes. Many's the hour I've spent on ravelry.com and usually forget what I was looking for in the first place. :)

lf1 Oct 3rd 2013 7:28 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10928622)
Ah yes. Many's the hour I've spent on ravelry.com and usually forget what I was looking for in the first place. :)

Exactly. If you notice that I have stopped posting on BE you will know where to find me. :lol:

islandwoman120 Oct 3rd 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10928622)

Ah - Ravelry.com, the place to lose your mind and your self and spend more than you planned to! I am a tunisian crocheter and now give regular demonstrations locally, including at the Womens' Institute. I do reversible items as well as single sided ones - very addictive.
Wonderful series of shows - Knitting, Wallpaper and last night was Embroidery (think Bayeux Tapestry). Glad that at least one is on YouTube - hope someone posts the others soon.

curleytops Oct 3rd 2013 10:03 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10927738)
Curleytops, I was just thinking about you recently, so it is nice to see you pop up again.

Thanks for that :) of late I've been a bit preoccupied with our upcoming move to Cumbria so I've not been about much.

Curleytops and Bandrui,

WOW! Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to get stuck into this :thumbsup: Don't let the Fair Isle scare you, I've not done a lot but really enjoy it and it NEVER gets boring! My Mam was a lovely knitter and was always doing something for my sister and I. This was taken our second winter in Canada: