British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

islandwoman120 May 30th 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I went out to Starcross again today just before it rained heavily:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644972245493/

and some more photos taken in Dawlish:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644516682668/

Perth May 30th 2014 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by morayeel (Post 11279101)
seemingly Whofan is on sickness benefit as being diganosed with fibromyalgia and is getting further tests done, one being chronic fatique syndrome? One of the regular BE members gave an update a while back. I am hoping she is getting the help she needs and will recover.

Unfortunately, it is more than that. More on this thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828841
She gives details at post #15

trottytrue May 31st 2014 12:47 am

Islandwoman120 your pictures are always lovely. The poppy is really great up close. In the other set is one of the flowers a honeysuckle or is it something else.

trottytrue May 31st 2014 12:55 am

Jasper123..so glad your mum is out and about I remember when I came out of hospital I could not even walk upstairs, then I managed that and the next was walking to the bottom of the driveway. All tiny steps but you eventually get your strength back. Look at me now walking round the block 3 times a day. Your mum will be fine and thankfully she has you taking care of her.
If I was in England I would have no desire to return to the US apart from visiting my children. I seen and done all I want here.:)

trottytrue May 31st 2014 1:11 am

BEVS.... I love it..how many of us don't have the courage to make that move and just wistfully sit on the fence looking over.....

trottytrue May 31st 2014 1:16 am

Perthhomeschool....thankyou, so it was Whofan I hope she can soon find a remedy for her illness.

trottytrue May 31st 2014 1:49 am

Thinking about what I would suggest to those leaving the UK . Make sure to leave an active Bank account, I had one for many years but the closed it. Keep all your NH records and numbers no matter how many years you are away. I am sure other could think of other things to add to the list.

between two worlds May 31st 2014 7:01 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11282909)
Thinking about what I would suggest to those leaving the UK . Make sure to leave an active Bank account, I had one for many years but the closed it. Keep all your NH records and numbers no matter how many years you are away. I am sure other could think of other things to add to the list.

I think the most important one, if a person leaving the UK can afford it and has a property here, is to keep that property here and rent it out when they leave... then there is somewhere to come back to. Finding housing is one of the biggest problems for returnees.

islandwoman120 May 31st 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11282869)
Islandwoman120 your pictures are always lovely. The poppy is really great up close. In the other set is one of the flowers a honeysuckle or is it something else.

Yes, it's a honeysuckle.

spouse of scouse May 31st 2014 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11282592)
I went out to Starcross again today just before it rained heavily:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644972245493/

and some more photos taken in Dawlish:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644516682668/

Islandwoman, I've just been having a sticky beak at your photography - I love how your photos are not only great on their own, but that they also build a 'picture' of the location. You can almost feel as though you're there - the best sort of photography :starsmile:

trottytrue May 31st 2014 3:17 pm

Islandwoman120....It made me remember the lovely honeysuckle we had, here were we live its just white I dont know if they have other colours but the perfume is lovely.

Your pictures always give a much bigger picture of an area not just a single shot but like 'scouce of a scouce' said as if we are walking along side you wherever you take us. Each group you post give a different view the ones of doors and the ones of the storm were execellent and showing the difference afterwards. Thankyou...

islandwoman120 May 31st 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11283398)
Islandwoman120....It made me remember the lovely honeysuckle we had, here were we live its just white I dont know if they have other colours but the perfume is lovely.

Your pictures always give a much bigger picture of an area not just a single shot but like 'scouce of a scouce' said as if we are walking along side you wherever you take us. Each group you post give a different view the ones of doors and the ones of the storm were execellent and showing the difference afterwards. Thankyou...

Thanks trotty. As I said in a previous post - I do these photos with all of you in mind, knowing that you are probably familiar with the area but can't visit in person.

islandwoman120 May 31st 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11283277)
Islandwoman, I've just been having a sticky beak at your photography - I love how your photos are not only great on their own, but that they also build a 'picture' of the location. You can almost feel as though you're there - the best sort of photography :starsmile:

Thanks - I enjoy doing this type of photo journal photography because I know you are all waiting to see the areas I visit, and I take pleasure in doing this as I know it gives all of you a great deal of pleasure. Plus it puts my stats up in an instant - I have no idea who is looking at these photos, but I suspect they are all over the world and feeling homesick. Glad to help. :)

jasper123 Jun 1st 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 11282909)

Yes Avril , I have one more very important one I can think of for people leaving the UK, ----- make sure no matter what you do, don't give up your UK drivers licence, and also keep it valid,
When I first started living in the U.S. in the 70's I made the huge mistake and handed my UK drivers licence to the DMV in return for a full class C. Nevada drivers licence, I took the easy way out cause I did not want to have to pass another drivers test,
now Im back in UK for good I really regret giving up my UK licence cause now if I wanted to drive here I am treated like a new learner driver who has never had a licence, ---- even though my U.S. Nevada licence is still valid, -------- I have to pass a written test, a theory test, and a driving test, and at my age it would be difficult for me, and also I ask myself do I really want to put myself through all that hassle, and the answer is always the same (NO)
So I hope the government wont take away my free bus pass :eek:

spouse of scouse Jun 1st 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11284201)
Yes Avril , I have one more very important one I can think of for people leaving the UK, ----- make sure no matter what you do, don't give up your UK drivers licence, and also keep it valid,
When I first started living in the U.S. in the 70's I made the huge mistake and handed my UK drivers licence to the DMV in return for a full class C. Nevada drivers licence, I took the easy way out cause I did not want to have to pass another drivers test,
now Im back in UK for good I really regret giving up my UK licence cause now if I wanted to drive here I am treated like a new learner driver who has never had a licence, ---- even though my U.S. Nevada licence is still valid, -------- I have to pass a written test, a theory test, and a driving test, and at my age it would be difficult for me, and also I ask myself do I really want to put myself through all that hassle, and the answer is always the same (NO)
So I hope the government wont take away my free bus pass :eek:

oooh, I didn't know that expats had to do the whole licence thing again, Jasper! I'd better warn Scouse to brush up :)

Re. opening a bank account, on Scouse's last trip home he and his brother called in at a bank on the off-chance that he could open an account. He only had his passport with him as ID. He explained to the teller that he lived in Australia but was moving back within a couple of years. She went off to see her supervisor, came back and said 'we don't know where you live'. Scouse started to say again that he lived in Australia, but she interrupted and said 'we don't know where you live - is this your brother? His address would be a good one to put down'.

So he got his bank account. Would probably only happen in Liverpool ;)